Big 10 expansion - it has begun.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I posted this in another tread too

I have been thinking of why the NCAA doesn't step in here and put a cap on the conferences at 12. The minute the big 10 gets to 16 teams the closer the probability of the 4 super conferences forming and them breaking away from the NCAA to have a playoff. ESPN had their alignment the other night on college football live of this. Some of the bigger schools they left out of it are Louisville, Texas Tech, Baylor, Cinn, and ISU. The NCAA needs to come in and stop this by telling the big 10 they can add 1 more team and strongly suggest to ND that it should be them before this thing gets out of had and the NCAA starts loosing money.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The more I logically think about this, the more I sincerely believe that first, not only is the Big 12 going to survive the apocalypse (not without taking hits, however), ISU will be a part of it (assuming it isn't granted an invite to the Big 10). The reason why I think this is:

Texas/A&M/OU/OSU AREN'T going to the SEC no matter how much ESPN keeps wanting the issue, for three reasons:

1. Neither Texas nor Oklahoma wants to have to share its revenues with the rest of the SEC, nor does it want to put its conference domination in jeopardy.

2. I don't think the SEC wants any of those four schools, either. They don't want Texas because they would basically have to give up control of the conference to them, and considering that kind of control basically destroyed the SWC and has put the Big 12 on the brink, the SEC isn't in a position where they NEED Texas, so they don't have to cater to Texas' demands. And as appealing as Oklahoma might be, they don't want to have to package OSU with it just to get them in order to claim a 3.5 million population state in the same way everyone argues that the Big 10 doesn't need ISU.

3. The SEC isn't looking to expand west, they're looking to expand north and east. What I heard on the radio this weekend is the potential schools the SEC is actually targeting is all ACC teams, those teams being Georgia Tech, Florida St, Clemson, and the big daddy - North Carolina. The SEC's access to the state of North Carolina >>>>> Oklahoma.

Considering this, here's how I think the conferences realign:

Big 10:
Nebraska
Missouri
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Penn St
Maryland
Virginia
Rutgers

SEC:
Florida
Florida St
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Clemson
South Carolina
North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Miss St
LSU
Arkansas

ACC:
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Syracuse
Boston College
Connecticut
South Florida
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Cincinnati
East Carolina

Then the Big 12 and Pac 10, with their "alliance", will divide up the members of the MWC and WAC as they see fit (with Colorado potentially going to the Pac 10).

I think that the SEC will more likely look at some of the larger Big East schools. If any conference dies, I think it will be the Big East. With the possibility of Rutgers and another going to the Big10, then they will really struggle to find schools to replace them and remain a BCS conference in the long term. Because of that, I think teams like West Virginia, Louisville, and Cincinnati will all lobby themselves as potential SEC expansion options. Many of the ACC teams have a lot more history with that conference and I think it would be more difficult to get them to jump since that conference seems to be the least likely affected by this mess.

G-Rock

Nov 9, 2006
Neither Texas nor Oklahoma wants to have to share its revenues with the rest of the SEC.
Their revenue would be higher in the SEC or Big10 then it is currently, so why would they care if they had to share?

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
They have a much larger athletic budget than ISU, and they play baseball (and are good at it), which is good for the Big Ten TV network. Baseball is America's pastime, you know...

The "large budget" is because of Big Red football revenue. We come back to that again.
Nebraska baseball is currently in last place, 7-14, in the Big 12, and 23-24 overall. They aren't being sought by the Big Ten for their "baseball program."
Please.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The "large budget" is because of Big Red football revenue. We come back to that again.
Nebraska baseball is currently in last place, 7-14, in the Big 12, and 23-24 overall. They aren't being sought by the Big Ten for their "baseball program."
Please.

Recent NU baseball...
year,overall,Big-12,conference titles,final ranking,post season
1999, 42-18,16-9, Tournament,25(BA),Regionals
2000, 51-17,21-9, Tournament,11(CB),Super Regionals
2001, 50-16,20-8, Both,6(BA),College World Series
2002, 47-21,16-11,Neither,8(CB),College World Series
2003, 47-18,20-7, Regular Season,13(BA),Regionals
2004, 36-23,11-16,Neither,12(CB),---
2005, 57-15,19-8, Both,5(BA),College World Series
2006, 42-17,17-10,Neither,15(BA),Regionals
2007, 32-27,14-13,Neither,---,Regionals
2008, 41-16-1,17-9-1,Neither, 20(BA),Regionals
2009, 25-28-1,8-19,Neither,---,---

They've been struggling last year and this year, but they have had a very good baseball program prior to that.

Ignore it if you like, but beyond MBB and FB, baseball is a sport that actually has a chance to make revenue, it is good for TV ratings, and brings in nice revenue for the conference if the teams can make it to post season (particularly the CWS). Should, by some bizzare circumstance, the Big 12 collapse, lack of baseball IS going to work against ISU in finding a major conference home.

Scotttyd

Feb 7, 2010
If those 4 teams all accept, I think ISU might have a decent shot at being the 16th team.
no way in hell, sorry ISU will not bring more money to the big 10 than what their share of the take would be. All of Iowa already has the big10 network. but i would love to have what you are smoking

Scotttyd

Feb 7, 2010
The more I logically think about this, the more I sincerely believe that first, not only is the Big 12 going to survive the apocalypse (not without taking hits, however), ISU will be a part of it (assuming it isn't granted an invite to the Big 10). The reason why I think this is:

Texas/A&M/OU/OSU AREN'T going to the SEC no matter how much ESPN keeps wanting the issue, for three reasons:

1. Neither Texas nor Oklahoma wants to have to share its revenues with the rest of the SEC, nor does it want to put its conference domination in jeopardy.

2. I don't think the SEC wants any of those four schools, either. They don't want Texas because they would basically have to give up control of the conference to them, and considering that kind of control basically destroyed the SWC and has put the Big 12 on the brink, the SEC isn't in a position where they NEED Texas, so they don't have to cater to Texas' demands. And as appealing as Oklahoma might be, they don't want to have to package OSU with it just to get them in order to claim a 3.5 million population state in the same way everyone argues that the Big 10 doesn't need ISU.

3. The SEC isn't looking to expand west, they're looking to expand north and east. What I heard on the radio this weekend is the potential schools the SEC is actually targeting is all ACC teams, those teams being Georgia Tech, Florida St, Clemson, and the big daddy - North Carolina. The SEC's access to the state of North Carolina >>>>> Oklahoma.

Considering this, here's how I think the conferences realign:

Big 10:
Nebraska
Missouri
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Penn St
Maryland
Virginia
Rutgers

SEC:
Florida
Florida St
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Clemson
South Carolina
North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Miss St
LSU
Arkansas

ACC:
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Syracuse
Boston College
Connecticut
South Florida
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Cincinnati
East Carolina

Then the Big 12 and Pac 10, with their "alliance", will divide up the members of the MWC and WAC as they see fit (with Colorado potentially going to the Pac 10).
I live in North Carolina, no way NC is going SEC, UNC is a top academic school, huge history in the ACC, no reason to jump ship to a subpar basketball conference.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
ISU will not bring more money to the big 10 than what their share of the take would be. All of Iowa already has the big10 network.
Have the Board of Regents say ISU or no U of Iowa like UVa did to get VaTech into the ACC...
Unfortunately Iowa does not have the pull of a UVa.
Anyone have an idea of what the financial impact of major college football athletics is to central Iowa? Perhaps JP will need to play poker with the BOR.

Last edited:

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
really the only recourse is to call your regents and congressmen and voice your concerns. ISU is in BIG trouble if this happens despite what some of the optimists on this board say.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
If this happens, it would be terrible. I would need some real help in deciding which one of the jerk schools to cheer for??? EIU or kNU. Is it possible they could adopt some new scoring that both could lose?

clone51

Oct 4, 2009
Western Iowa
Perhaps being a big fish in a smaller pond wouldn't be all bad.

No doubt the buzz associated with football would be dampened, but
basketball might be more exciting.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Perhaps being a big fish in a smaller pond wouldn't be all bad.

No doubt the buzz associated with football would be dampened, but
basketball might be more exciting.

except the nuclear arms race that is money from college football would pass us by and we would be part of the also-rans...sort of a D1-D1AA grey area.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
You do realize that all the moving around is just made up stuff that is just getting thrown out there. Not one person knows what is going to happen for sure. The people that do know who may go to the Big 10 are not going to leak that info to the media.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
There is no way UNC and Maryland are leaving the ACC, period, end of conversation. The fact that nobody's talking about the other big wildcard in this whole realignment discussion, Notre Dame, makes for some interesting other possibilities. Perhaps one possibility , not very likely, is both Texas and Notre Dame, together, form a new 16 team super conference and blow up both the Big 12 and the Big East Conferences. Missou, NU, Rutgers, Pitt, and Syracuse join the Big Ten, Colorado joins the Pac 10, UConn, WVU, Army and Navy join an expanded ACC, and the remains of the Big 12 and the Big East Conferences form a new super conference. The four open slots would come from the MWC, WAC and C-USA -- Boise State, BYU, UNLV and Memphis (all schools from large TV markets.) So here's how this hypothetical conference would shape up -- Notre Dame, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati, Memphis, Texas, Oklahoma, TX Tech, TX A&M, Okie State, Baylor, IA State, KU, K-State, Boise State, BYU, and UNLV. This conference will have a strong presence in most of the major recruiting areas in both FB and MBB, as well as a larger TV market than the Big 12 ever had. Having both TX and ND in the same conference would rock the college athletics world. This discussion is all hypothetical, of course, but interesting to think about.

Last edited: