Big 10 expansion - it has begun.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Before any of you tear yourself to bits over this thread remember this. Hank has been right about as often as Marty the Mouth down in Des Moines.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
no way in hell, sorry ISU will not bring more money to the big 10 than what their share of the take would be. All of Iowa already has the big10 network. but i would love to have what you are smoking

The amount of revenue you bring in is only part of the equation. The other part is how much you save the conference - and that's where ISU rises above the others.

Imagine if you're the AD for Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, or Northwestern and you have 20 different varsity sports. You have a choice of sending those 20 teams to Rutgers (New Jersey) or to Ames. Traveling to Ames every year would save your school a huge amount of money and it would mean many fewer days of missed class time for your student-athletes.

I'm not saying ISU will be invited because of geography, but I am saying that you and others are dismissing an important factor. It's not just TV sets.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
The funny thing is, the Big 10 can only send 2 teams to BCS games. So you have now; Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Wisconsin who have played in BCS games recently. The way OSU has been playing / recruiting that means really 5 teams are fighting for 1 spot / year. You think Michigan or Nebraska fans are going to be happy with 1 or 2 BCS games a decade? If you are Notre Dame, you currently have a automatic bid into a BCS game (keeping all $20MM to yourself) just by finishing in the top 10 of the rankings. In addition Notre Dame you make your own schedule, meaning you can have 8-9 cupcakes / year. In the Big 10 N.D. is going to have to play 6 legit games / year and struggle to make it to a BCS game.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Well, if you want to look positive at it. The Big East was able to keep their BCS status even though they've been definitely the weakest conference for years. For us, losing two contenders in the North could work out well. We stay in the Big 12, we pick up two teams and ISU has a better shot at getting into the title game. No way does losing two teams from the north destroy the Big XII. They'll just add two more teams.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Have the Board of Regents say ISU or no U of Iowa like UVa did to get VaTech into the ACC...
Unfortunately Iowa does not have the pull of a UVa.
Anyone have an idea of what the financial impact of major college football athletics is to central Iowa? Perhaps JP will need to play poker with the BOR.

The BOR can't do anything at all about this.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The funny thing is, the Big 10 can only send 2 teams to BCS games. So you have now; Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Wisconsin who have played in BCS games recently. The way OSU has been playing / recruiting that means really 5 teams are fighting for 1 spot / year. You think Michigan or Nebraska fans are going to be happy with 1 or 2 BCS games a decade? If you are Notre Dame, you currently have a automatic bid into a BCS game (keeping all $20MM to yourself) just by finishing in the top 10 of the rankings. In addition Notre Dame you make your own schedule, meaning you can have 8-9 cupcakes / year. In the Big 10 N.D. is going to have to play 6 legit games / year and struggle to make it to a BCS game.

That rule could be changed. Just sayin'.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Exactly. That pays for itself in increased revenue in ONE YEAR. Why would they turn this down. They were ****** at getting snubbed for the Insight Bowl this year. They have all the other same issues we do with Beebe. This is a no brainier.
If they get snubbed by ISU in a bowl game just think what will happen when they get snubbed by the big 10 teams.

BTW- Beebe couldn't do anything about that and Beebe is also the one that initiated the Big 12/Pac 10 tv alliance. I will laugh my arse off when the tv alliance saves the conference, mizzou and Nebbie tell the litle 11 to go to he)).

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Yes Iowa has had down years, but when they are good they are hard to beat. Most of the last 25 years they have been a good team. They have had a better history the last 25 years than any Big 12 North team. The better team has won the ISU-Iowa game 9 out of 10 years. The reason the games are so close is the makeup of the teams is so different and they both have a style of play the other isnt used to.
FWIW- Colorado and Nebraska have National Championships in the last 25 years. not sure Iowa has one. Ever. KSU had a great run in the 90's as well. Colorado late 80's through 2000. Not trying to take away from Iowa's success, but the Big 12 North teams were pretty damn good in the 90's. You may want to change your argument to the last 10 years

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I think OSU and Michigan will be in the "East" division and Nebraska and PSU will be in the "West" division. The Big Ten will try to keep it balanced and ensure that the title game has two national names in it each year (Nebraska or PSU vs. Ohio State or Michigan).
They will do it by geography. The balance of power changes. Look at the Big 12. People complain because ISU plays OU and Texas in the same year but at the time the Big 12 was formed, OU was bad abd aTm was very good. Hence the scheduling. They will set the divisions based on geography because
  1. Travel- It is less travel time for the student athlete. It is less expense
  2. Power teams change- Michigan is a shell of its former self right now. In both basketball and football. Right now your scenario gives tOSU a significant advantage.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
You doom and gloom folks sound like a bunch of whiny losers lol.

No one here...literally not ONE SINGLE ONE OF YOU has ANY idea about ANY of this...yet it's officially the apocalypse for ISU athletics? haha, right.
this

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008

It doesn't matter if fans are happy or not about their team making a BCS game once or twice a decade because they have no say so what so ever in this process.

ND has to finish in the top 8 to get the automatic bid and ND plays 6 legit games now as they don't schedule 8-9 cupcakes, also they don't get the full $20 million, they receive around $4 million for a BCS bowl which is the same as a conference that sends a second team to the BCS. So after travel expenses they take home roughly $2 milliion.

And yes this is all rumors, but where there is smoke there is fire and the last couple of months there has been more smoke involving Missouri and Nebraska to the Big Ten. Someday Nebraska and Missouri will be in the Big Ten and some of you will have a hard dose of reality hit you when it happens.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It doesn't matter if fans are happy or not about their team making a BCS game once or twice a decade because they have no say so what so ever in this process.

ND has to finish in the top 8 to get the automatic bid and ND plays 6 legit games now as they don't schedule 8-9 cupcakes, also they don't get the full $20 million, they receive around $4 million for a BCS bowl which is the same as a conference that sends a second team to the BCS.

And yes this is all rumors, but where there is smoke there is fire and the last couple of months there has been more smoke involving Missouri and Nebraska to the Big Ten. Someday Nebraska and Missouri will be in the Big Ten and some of you will have a hard dose of reality hit you when it happens.
It would benefit ND but not Nebraska. Nebraska is sitting pretty nice right now when it comes to BCS opportunities. The North is not all that strong so all they have to do is win the Chmap game. Of course, looking at the divisionthey would be in inthe big 10/14 it wouldn't be any different. They would have tough games against Iowa and Wisc.
BTW- How ugly would an Iowa Nebraska game be? the final score would be 3-0

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
It would benefit ND but not Nebraska. Nebraska is sitting pretty nice right now when it comes to BCS opportunities. The North is not all that strong so all they have to do is win the Chmap game. Of course, looking at the divisionthey would be in inthe big 10/14 it wouldn't be any different. They would have tough games against Iowa and Wisc.
BTW- How ugly would an Iowa Nebraska game be? the final score would be 3-0

You are missing the point of how it would benefit Nebraska. It isn't about football and making BCS bowls, it is about the dollar and Nebraska can make a lot more of those in the Big Ten.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

i don't understand this comment......no one is going to die over Nebraska and Mizzou jumping ship. Life will go on, ISU will play in a BCS conference still and will probably have an easier road to a better bowl game with those two heading to the big 10.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Someday Nebraska and Missouri will be in the Big Ten and some of you will have a hard dose of reality hit you when it happens.

What irritates me is how much Iowa fans love gloating and telling us "we'll be sorry". You are not special. Your discussion is not insightful. You have done nothing but regurgitate speculation and dress it up with a smarmy attitude. You may go now.

Reactions: cyclonekj

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
If MU and NU go, we are in trouble, IMO.

I think it might be the best thing to happen to us.

From a football standpoint, we don't belong in the Big 12. We've never won it and never will, in my opinion.

We might get an upset once in a blue moon and as fans, we'll live off that for several years. But, if things stay they way they are, I wouldn't expect to win a Big 12 championship in my lifetime.

Moving to a conference where we can be competitive year in and year out would be fine in my opinion.

In 100 years, we've never won a title of any type.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
i don't understand this comment......no one is going to die over Nebraska and Mizzou jumping ship. Life will go on, ISU will play in a BCS conference still and will probably have an easier road to a better bowl game with those two heading to the big 10.

It is more for the people that are trying to convince themselves there is no way this could happen.

What irritates me is how much Iowa fans love gloating and telling us "we'll be sorry". You are not special. Your discussion is not insightful. You have done nothing but regurgitate speculation and dress it up with a smarmy attitude. You may go now.

I'm not gloating or telling ISU "you will be sorry", I'm just saying the reality is that it probably will happen and people should realize this. It is like the girl that keeps cheating on you and you continue to go back because she says she won't do it again and you are just setting yourself up for another fall when it happens again.

Texas probably isn't going anywhere with the deal they have with the Big 12 so ISU will be just fine, but people just need to realize in 3 to 5 years you will probably be playing Boise St, TCU or Colorado St instead of Nebraska, Missouri or Colorado in Big 12 play.