Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
And that would still be the case. What's your point?

according to THH:

Iowa/ISU do not play each other in college sports, and therefore there is no rivalry..

good gosh ....

-keep

Spam

May 21, 2008
trudat.

but THH says the ISU/IA situation is different and IA wouldn't look out for an InState school.... withOUT any points to back up the claim.

-keep

Iowa doesn't have the power in the Big 10 for them to be able to bring ISU on board.
Should they try, the rest of the Big 10 will simply tell Iowa- "You want to stick with ISU? Then go do so in the MAC or whatever conference ISU is going to be in"

It's much easier for a school like Texas to help other in-state schools out. If Texas wanted to take University of North Texas with them to the Pac10, then University of North Texas would indeed be welcome in the Pac 10.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You are right... we don't play each other in every sport ..... there is no rivalry.:jimlad:

Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series - Current Standings

-keep

I just added the :jimlad: to help reading comprehension into sarcasm.

_____

Iowa and ISU have a rivalry ... Iowa/ISU play each other in a dozen sports .... if we can play each other as a rivalry outside of a confernce... so can KU/KSU and OU/OSU .... if OSU/OU and KU/KSU play each other as a rivalry in conference play so can ISU/IU.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Iowa doesn't have the power in the Big 10 for them to be able to bring ISU on board.
Should they try, the rest of the Big 10 will simply tell Iowa- "You want to stick with ISU? Then go do so in the MAC or whatever conference ISU is going to be in"

It's much easier for a school like Texas to help other in-state schools out. If Texas wanted to take University of North Texas with them to the Pac10, then University of North Texas would indeed be welcome in the Pac 10.

Couldn't have said that much better, but maybe since it came from a Clone keep will be able to understand it.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I understand that. But what can the BOR do to intercede in what is essentially a business decision?

I think the picture is becoming clear .... we think our (Iowa) hands are tied ... so we can't do anything.

-keep

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
according to THH:

Iowa/ISU do not play each other in college sports, and therefore there is no rivalry..

good gosh ....

-keep
half of your avatar is hideous...

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Never mind the one obvious difference with KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and Iowa/ISU.

It makes sense for the first four to look out for each other, but not so much for Iowa to look out for Iowa State. If the general consensus is that ISU doesn't have any say in how the Big 12 is going to be split up, it also doesn't make any sense to think that Iowa would have any say in who joins the Big Ten.

Couldn't have said that much better, but maybe since it came from a Clone keep will be able to understand it.

two SEPARATE angles....

I know and agree with that Iowa doesn't have the power to pull ISU in by itself.... but that is different than Iowa doesn't need to look out for ISU.

Can you see that?

-keep

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
two SEPARATE angles....

I know and agree with that Iowa doesn't have the power to pull ISU in by itself.... but that is different than Iowa doesn't need to look out for ISU.

Can you see that?

-keep

What I can see is that (again, not surprisingly, you've left out some key information. Nothing new there.

Never mind the one obvious difference with KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and Iowa/ISU.

It makes sense for the first four to look out for each other, but not so much for Iowa to look out for Iowa State. If the general consensus is that ISU doesn't have any say in how the Big 12 is going to be split up, it also doesn't make any sense to think that Iowa would have any say in who joins the Big Ten.

They're not in the same conference. It makes sense for Kansas to want to protect it's rivalry with K-State, OU with Ok-State, etc. What happens to one of them will obviously affect the other. That isn't the case with Iowa/ISU. Whatever ends up happening to ISU is not going to affect Iowa.

I'm failing to see the logic in the thinking that Iowa has an obligation to look out for Iowa State, or that their fates are somehow tied together. Iowa is just as much of a bystander as ISU is.

But I went ahead and found them for you. What's weird is that you even quoted one of them, and still missed it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I understand that. But what can the BOR do to intercede in what is essentially a business decision?

This is where ISU is screwed. Let's put it this way; if this same scenario were playing out but the schools were named South Carolina & Clemson / UGA & GT you're damn right their BOR and state legislators would be looking for some way to protect us.

And even then, as stated already the other B10 schools could tell Iowa to take a hike and think twice about it.

I don't want to be all chicken little but if ISU gets bounced from a BCS conference we won't recover athletically.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
having a say and looking out for, are separate issues.

-keep

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
This is where ISU is screwed. Let's put it this way; if this same scenario were playing out but the schools were named South Carolina & Clemson / UGA & GT you're damn right their BOR and state legislators would be looking for some way to protect us.

And even then, as stated already the other B10 schools could tell Iowa to take a hike and think twice about it.

I don't want to be all chicken little but if ISU gets bounced from a BCS conference we won't recover athletically.

I would agree with that.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
The plan fails right here. The rest of the big 10 could easily say 'do as you must, but see ya'. They wont be crying over the loss of iowa.

Actually the original post does indeed have a lot of merit, assuming the BOR gets on board AND they SHOULD. Doesn't mean they will, of course, but they SHOULD take the same stand as other states.

ALars, here is the big problem with your response. While UofI may not be the best b10 member school ... remember this - the big 10 is looking to EXPAND not contract. If they kick UofI out (because linked with ISU joining) then they will need to add yet another member to make up for the loss which is contrary to their goals. Remember, the B10 started the whole conference realignment crap with their goal of expanding. And kicking Iowa out kinda blows the whole add NU and MU out the window too; add 2 midwestern schools and then lose 1? So I think the B10 would take ISU if given such an ultimatum by the Iowa BOR; assuming of course that the B10 expands to 16 teams so there is room for ISU.

To me the best B10 scenario would be for them to add Pitt and ND to the B10 East and ISU, MU, NU to the B10 West; 16 teams with a split E-W. Will that happen? Probably not.

I really wish the BOR would take Kansas' stand and tell the B10 to take both or have neither. Again, do I think this will happen? Nope.

Reactions: isugcs

Spam

May 21, 2008
It's not about expansion. Let's be more specific. It's about money. If "ISU + Iowa" brought more money than "Neither ISU or Iowa" or "only Iowa", then we would see ISU and Iowa. But if "both ISU and Iowa" did bring more money than the other options, ISU would have already been invited.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Actually the original post does indeed have a lot of merit, assuming the BOR gets on board AND they SHOULD. Doesn't mean they will, of course, but they SHOULD take the same stand as other states.

ALars, here is the big problem with your response. While UofI may not be the best b10 member school ... remember this - the big 10 is looking to EXPAND not contract. If they kick UofI out (because linked with ISU joining) then they will need to add yet another member to make up for the loss which is contrary to their goals. Remember, the B10 started the whole conference realignment crap with their goal of expanding. And kicking Iowa out kinda blows the whole add NU and MU out the window too; add 2 midwestern schools and then lose 1? So I think the B10 would take ISU if given such an ultimatum by the Iowa BOR; assuming of course that the B10 expands to 16 teams so there is room for ISU.

To me the best B10 scenario would be for them to add Pitt and ND to the B10 East and ISU, MU, NU to the B10 West; 16 teams with a split E-W. Will that happen? Probably not.

I really wish the BOR would take Kansas' stand and tell the B10 to take both or have neither. Again, do I think this will happen? Nope.

EXACTLY! I acknowledge the B10 could tell Iowa to take a hike because they don't bring as much to the table as a 'large population' school, but that's not the point. The original intent was for b10 expansion, not to loose original B10 members in the process. How do you think it will sit with Minneasota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and others to loose Iowa in this process, a LONG time conference partner? If the BOR took this stand, they would (despite cries from UI fans) be leveraging Iowa's position in the B10 to save ISU. We rise and fall together, all the state schools, and that's what this is all about.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
the last time I said "this won't happen" was in the mcd to creighton speculation thread..and that did happen..I will keep my mouth shut this time