Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
EXACTLY! I acknowledge the B10 could tell Iowa to take a hike because they don't bring as much to the table as a 'large population' school, but that's not the point. The original intent was for b10 expansion, not to loose original B10 members in the process. How do you think it will sit with Minneasota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and others to loose Iowa in this process, a LONG time conference partner? If the BOR took this stand, they would (despite cries from UI fans) be leveraging Iowa's position in the B10 to save ISU. We rise and fall together, all the state schools, and that's what this is all about.

It would be incredibly stupid to do such a thing. The Big ten would likely let IOwa go and the U of I would lose millions in research collaboration dollars and their multi-million dollar sports program would go to the graveyard. That would be nothing more than sacrificing both in state schools. I am sure the BOR is VERY concerned about ISU. However they are not stupid enough to kill both programs over it.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
It would be incredibly stupid to do such a thing. The Big ten would likely let IOwa go and the U of I would lose millions in research collaboration dollars and their multi-million dollar sports program would go to the graveyard. That would be nothing more than sacrificing both in state schools. I am sure the BOR is VERY concerned about ISU. However they are not stupid enough to kill both programs over it.

You assume the B10 would easily dismiss the loss of Iowa, but tying ISU and Iowa presents a road block to b10 expansion, which defeat's its original intent of the b10 plan. The B10 initiated their own expansion prerogative, losing Iowa in the mind of original B10 members could very well kill the idea.

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
please give reasons/examples ..... aren't we Iowans first? or?

-keep

Look there is no way Iowa Fans are going to even entertain the thought of killing ourselves to ATTEMPT to save ISU.

When your Arm gets chopped off do you chop the remaining arm off to try and save both arms?

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Look there is no way Iowa Fans are going to even entertain the thought of killing ourselves to ATTEMPT to save ISU.

When your Arm gets chopped off do you chop the remaining arm off to try and save both arms?

Politicians (BOR), not Iowa fans, control this issue.

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
You assume the B10 would easily dismiss the loss of Iowa, but tying ISU and Iowa presents a road block to b10 expansion, which defeat's its original intent of the b10 plan. The B10 initiated their own expansion prerogative, losing Iowa in the mind of original B10 members could very well kill the idea.

Good grief...why in the world would IOwa want to risk its existance (which could mean millions of reasearch dollars on th academics side). SImply entertaining the thought is playing with fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spam

May 21, 2008
The expansion of the Big 10 and Pac 10 means the expansion of the most invisible and forgotten region of the country: the forgotten athletic states like Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and now expanding into Iowa.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
I am an Iowa grad (Bachelor's in 2006) and close to defending my PhD Thesis at Iowa State. I cheer for both teams, unless they play each other in which I root for Iowa. I feel it is unreasonable to think that the Big Ten would bend to an Iowa ultimatum as some of you are reasoning. If the Big Ten was unable to expand due to the loss of Iowa we would be having a different discussion where this might be an effective strategy. Instead, the Big Ten has more candidates than spots, so supply wins out. If Iowa said it's both of us or neither of us, the Big Ten would say it's been great and we are sorry to see you go. Look at the list the Big Ten has if it has to fill 5 spots or even 6 spots if Iowa left:

Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, UCONN, Boston College, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, etc.

While some of these candidates are more desired than others from the Big Ten's perspective, probably every one of these schools would accept if offered.

Posters on this site have to realize that there is much more money in research than athletics. The CIC (Committee on Institutional Cooperation) is a research collaboration structure for the Big Ten universities plus the University of Chicago. Last year, the Big Ten used this to help it discharge $6 billion dollars in research funding. Athletic budgets for the conference totaled only about $0.9 billion. Iowa could not afford to give up the research benefits of being in the Big Ten.

As much as I would love for ISU to be apart of the Big Ten, Iowa just doesn't have the pull to get ISU into the conference even if it issues an ultimatum.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
As much as I would love for ISU to be apart of the Big Ten, Iowa just doesn't have the pull to get ISU into the conference even if it issues an ultimatum.

This is reality. Iowa doesn't have the pull to get ISU in and neither does the state legislature. UT has the TVs and this gives them and their state legislature the leverage they need to get want they want and bring along others. UofIowa has benefited from being in the B10 and they have done well to maximize their membership.

However, they are also the smallest school in the B10, after NW, and in the smallest state in the B10. UofI would be in a KU/KSU situation with ISU right now, if they weren't already a B10 member. They are in a very stable position, but with no leverage to help ISU. Fortunately for them, they are on the inside looking out or they would be in a shared situation to ISU if they were a B12 member.

I do think Iowans in general should be concerned about ISU. I saw Iowans come together in their disgust of Chizik bolting. I saw a lengthy thread here, full of support, regarding UNI's athletic situation and the risk of losing football. This is a situations where rivalries should be set aside for the betterment of Iowa & Iowans.

SPC

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I am an Iowa grad (Bachelor's in 2006) and close to defending my PhD Thesis at Iowa State. I cheer for both teams, unless they play each other in which I root for Iowa. I feel it is unreasonable to think that the Big Ten would bend to an Iowa ultimatum as some of you are reasoning. If the Big Ten was unable to expand due to the loss of Iowa we would be having a different discussion where this might be an effective strategy. Instead, the Big Ten has more candidates than spots, so supply wins out. If Iowa said it's both of us or neither of us, the Big Ten would say it's been great and we are sorry to see you go. Look at the list the Big Ten has if it has to fill 5 spots or even 6 spots if Iowa left:

Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, UCONN, Boston College, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, etc.

While some of these candidates are more desired than others from the Big Ten's perspective, probably every one of these schools would accept if offered.

Posters on this site have to realize that there is much more money in research than athletics. The CIC (Committee on Institutional Cooperation) is a research collaboration structure for the Big Ten universities plus the University of Chicago. Last year, the Big Ten used this to help it discharge $6 billion dollars in research funding. Athletic budgets for the conference totaled only about $0.9 billion. Iowa could not afford to give up the research benefits of being in the Big Ten.

I appreciate your perspective. Yes, if Iowa were to be left behind by the B10 after the Iowa BOR issues an ultimatum, there are plenty of candidates to fill the vacated spot. However, I do not believe this is a compelling reason for the other (especially Midwest) conference members to 'force' Iowa leave. Remember, the B10 has control of this issue: If they offer Nebraska and Missouri, then the Big 12 South bolts, then (if the Iowa ultimatum is issued) they lose Iowa. The ultimatum is contingent on the B10 starting the chain of events. If they forgo offering Neb and MO, then there's no ultimatum. This basically tells the B10 to stay away from the B12 because it ultimately hurts the educational system a fellow B10 member exists within (the state of Iowa). The B12 is in reactive mode right now and will likely stay intact if the B10 does not make any invitations to B12 schools. The B10 would still has options, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Pitt, but the ultimatum puts a price on poaching the B12.

It’s generally accepted that the B12 is unstable and at the mercy of the B10 (and other conferences). No school has any leverage over the B10 due to its offer of financial attractiveness; accept the one state that contains a conference member from both conferences. I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and the host remarked how terrible the evolution to super conferences would be for college athletics, I think this is the prevailing opinion of most people cognizant of this issue in the country. A move by the B10 is motivated by money, and I personally don't blame them for exploring their options, they have a good thing going. However, behavior is influenced by penalties and incentives. The state of Iowa has the only viable penalty to sway the actions of the B10, actions most people find detrimental to college athletics. Remember, this isn't: Iowa demanding ISU's entry into the conference, it's simply creating a penalty to prevent an action that results in the tearing apart the B12.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
ChipBrownOB

Another athletic director tells Orangebloods.com Big Ten trying to work things out with Notre Dame before addressing Nebraska or Missouri.

Notre Dame joining the big 10 would be the best thing that could happen to us.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
ChipBrownOB

Another athletic director tells Orangebloods.com Big Ten trying to work things out with Notre Dame before addressing Nebraska or Missouri.

I completely agree, that we should all be prying to football Jesus that ND accepts the B10 invite.

It just might save our conference.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Times are desperate if you think the BOR is going to risk Iowa's future in order to get ISU into the Big Ten. The Big Ten conference holds all of the chips, so it's not like you can threaten to withdraw Iowa from their conference. What happens if the Big Ten says "who gives a $&*(" and tells Iowa to take a walk??? The BOR will have successfully run Iowa out of the largest income producing conference in the country and completely jeopardized their future and 100 years of tradition.

Iowa is exactly where they need to be in terms of finances and tradition and there is zero chance of that being jeopardized. Remember, Iowa has the only self-sustaining athletic department in the state. IF anything ISU is going to be forced to join a different conference and make cuts to their athletic program in order to become self-sustaining. I think the BOR already gave them a deadline to balance their athletic budget.

ISU just doesn't offer enough to get the invite. Iowa doesn't have a large television market and the Big Ten already has the majority of it with U of I.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
ChipBrownOB

This whole expansion thing would come to a screeching halt if ND were to accept a B10 offer. I can't remember which link I read but they indicated that ND is showing more interest than you'd think.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Times are desperate if you think the BOR is going to risk Iowa's future in order to get ISU into the Big Ten. The Big Ten conference holds all of the chips, so it's not like you can threaten to withdraw Iowa from their conference. What happens if the Big Ten says "who gives a $&*(" and tells Iowa to take a walk??? The BOR will have successfully run Iowa out of the largest income producing conference in the country and completely jeopardized their future and 100 years of tradition.

Iowa is exactly where they need to be in terms of finances and tradition and there is zero chance of that being jeopardized. Remember, Iowa has the only self-sustaining athletic department in the state. IF anything ISU is going to be forced to join a different conference and make cuts to their athletic program in order to become self-sustaining. I think the BOR already gave them a deadline to balance their athletic budget.

ISU just doesn't offer enough to get the invite. Iowa doesn't have a large television market and the Big Ten already has the majority of it with U of I.

I dont think iowa will put any kind of ultimatum up in a 'invite ISU or we leave' , but i agree with another poster that said iowa should vote against inviting MU\NU, as that would be the start of a domino effect that would hurt ISU. They may end up being voted over by the rest of the big 10, but they still should be voting in that way.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ChipBrownOB

This. Cheer! Cheer! For old Notre Dame!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What I find funny - Iowa fans busting ISU fans because we might have to join the MAC, but as soon as the idea comes up that Iowa should leverage ISU into the Big 10, a certain panic sets in "NOOOO - we'd lose OUR seat at the table!!!". Not so much fun ripping into a rival when you have to get a glimpse of the same fate, is it?

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
isugcs, I see where you are coming from, but I really think the only thing Iowa could do is show some solidarity with ISU and vote no on Missouri and Nebraska expansion as alarson and others mentioned. This would of course have not teeth since it would be a 10-1 vote against Iowa to invite Missouri and Nebraska. University of Iowa officials would be able to come back to the state and say they did all they could to prevent the collapse of the Big 12 while secretly starting the marketing campaigns for the Iowa v. Missouri and v. Nebraska football games.

You assume the PAC 10 won't act first. That is a big assumption especially since the PAC 10 presidents have authorized their commissioner to explore expansion.

You make a point about Iowa leaving as a penalty to the Big Ten, but everyone outside of yourself and a few others recognize the penalty is far worse for the University of Iowa (no BCS conference outside of the Big 10 would take Iowa), the state of Iowa (those research dollars will not be coming in as much after the loss of Big 10 collaboration) and subsequently Iowa State University (as you mentioned, what hurts one school hurts another). The Big Ten would shake its head on losing a 100 year member as it shows it the door while all its new friends are lavishing it with gifts. Iowa might even get a thank you note or two from Vanderbilt, Maryland or some other university that would take its spot.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
isugcs and jdoggivjc, I am not one of those fans to beat you while you are down. I also applaud isugcs for a creative solution, but in reality it is very untenable and would end up hurting the entire state and both universities.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron