Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Drastic times call for drastic measures. Here's my best idea to assure ISU stays afloat in the sea of conference realignment depression.

ISU has a history of heartbreak and missed opportunties, right? Well how about we go for broke with a bold move. Hear me out: Leverage University of Iowa's position in the Big Ten to force the conference to permit Iowa State entry into the conference. The Board of Regents ultimately controls the UI conference membership correct? The BOR could in theory threaten to pull Iowa out of the B10 conference unless, lets say, ISU is given entry. Basically creating a two for one situation as OK and Kasans have. The motiation for the move would be that the viability of the institution (ISU) is reliant on its conference affiliation, Futerhmove the move is to assure equal viability of all Iowa higher education institutions.

In a sense, the benefactor of ISU's depressive atheletic history has been UI, it would be a way of equaling the score. If the B10 says "fine, UI can leave the conference", ISU stands a much better chance of landing in a BSC conference with Iowa strapped to its back. However, the B10 would likely be forced to accept ISU because its own conference realignment aspirations are the cause of the move in the first place. Basically, by tearing apart the B10, they'd be in danger of losing a charter member.

For this move to suceed, the BOR would need intense political pressure within the state, and I believe this is an election year. So lets get the word out! Strap Iowa and Iowa State's fate together, the two win and lose together.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The BOR could in theory threaten to pull Iowa out of the B10 conference unless, lets say, ISU is given entry.

The plan fails right here. The rest of the big 10 could easily say 'do as you must, but see ya'. They wont be crying over the loss of iowa.

NIU

Jun 5, 2010
we need a fourteenth MAC member! looking forward to Ames this September. here's to a great game!

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
we need a fourteenth MAC member! looking forward to Ames this September. here's to a great game!

As much as I despise feeding the trolls...We're not interested. I think you might try looking at Kirkwood in cedar rapids though.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Crazy thought. But everything in this is a crazy thought. If all these expansions happen solely at the expense of the big xii then the only conference with an aq that doesn't have a championship game is the big east. They have 8 teams. We would have four left. 8 plus four is twelve. Bam. That solves football. Basketball, iguess they could expand to 20 with two ten team divisions. The four left overs with Marquette, depaul, notre dame, Louisville cincinatti and west Virginia. The rest would be in the other division. Of course there are other factors. Like if nd goes big ten pick up memphis for bball. Or if rutgers Pitt n notre dame go, take memphis tcu for all sports n say Xavier for basketball. Personally I love the idea, thought it up when I was drunk last night. Thoughts?

DolphLundgren

Nov 11, 2008
Drastic times call for drastic measures. Here's my best idea to assure ISU stays afloat in the sea of conference realignment depression.

ISU has a history of heartbreak and missed opportunties, right? Well how about we go for broke with a bold move. Hear me out: Leverage University of Iowa's position in the Big Ten to force the conference to permit Iowa State entry into the conference. The Board of Regents ultimately controls the UI conference membership correct? The BOR could in theory threaten to pull Iowa out of the B10 conference unless, lets say, ISU is given entry. Basically creating a two for one situation as OK and Kasans have. The motiation for the move would be that the viability of the institution (ISU) is reliant on its conference affiliation, Futerhmove the move is to assure equal viability of all Iowa higher education institutions.

In a sense, the benefactor of ISU's depressive atheletic history has been UI, it would be a way of equaling the score. If the B10 says "fine, UI can leave the conference", ISU stands a much better chance of landing in a BSC conference with Iowa strapped to its back. However, the B10 would likely be forced to accept ISU because its own conference realignment aspirations are the cause of the move in the first place. Basically, by tearing apart the B10, they'd be in danger of losing a charter member.

For this move to suceed, the BOR would need intense political pressure within the state, and I believe this is an election year. So lets get the word out! Strap Iowa and Iowa State's fate together, the two win and lose together.

I want to live in your dreamworld.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I want to live in your dreamworld.

It's obvious that the major schools have banded together in most of the other states (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Indiana). Why not in Iowa? I don't get how most people are dismissing ISU's chances here. ISU has a lot to offer. Moreso than a number of other Big 12 schools especially in terms of academics.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It's obvious that the major schools have banded together in most of the other states (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Indiana). Why not in Iowa? I don't get how most people are dismissing ISU's chances here. ISU has a lot to offer. Moreso than a number of other Big 12 schools especially in terms of academics.

Never mind the one obvious difference with KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and Iowa/ISU.

It makes sense for the first four to look out for each other, but not so much for Iowa to look out for Iowa State. If the general consensus is that ISU doesn't have any say in how the Big 12 is going to be split up, it also doesn't make any sense to think that Iowa would have any say in who joins the Big Ten.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Never mind the one obvious difference with KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and Iowa/ISU.

It makes sense for the first four to look out for each other, but not so much for Iowa to look out for Iowa State. If the general consensus is that ISU doesn't have any say in how the Big 12 is going to be split up, it also doesn't make any sense to think that Iowa would have any say in who joins the Big Ten.

please give reasons/examples ..... aren't we Iowans first? or?

-keep

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
please give reasons/examples ..... aren't we Iowans first? or?

-keep

Iowa? What's Iowa have to do with it? Half their student body are kids from the western suburbs who couldn't get into Illinois...

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Iowa? What's Iowa have to do with it? Half their student body are kids from the western suburbs who couldn't get into Illinois...

trudat.

but THH says the ISU/IA situation is different and IA wouldn't look out for an InState school.... withOUT any points to back up the claim.

-keep

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

It's been mentioned that KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and the Texas schools (sans Baylor) have mutual interest in staying together due to historic rivalries and stuff like that.

In the case of Iowa and Iowa State, none of that applies.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
trudat.

but THH says the ISU/IA situation is different and IA wouldn't look out for an InState school.... withOUT any points to back up the claim.

-keep

If this mess is protracted to the point that Branstad is in office when the decision is made you can bet that the Iowa legislature will do absolutely nothing to help us.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
trudat.

-keep

They're not in the same conference. It makes sense for Kansas to want to protect it's rivalry with K-State, OU with Ok-State, etc. What happens to one of them will obviously affect the other. That isn't the case with Iowa/ISU. Whatever ends up happening to ISU is not going to affect Iowa.

I'm failing to see the logic in the thinking that Iowa has an obligation to look out for Iowa State, or that their fates are somehow tied together. Iowa is just as much of a bystander as ISU is.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
They're not in the same conference. It makes sense for Kansas to want to protect it's rivalry with K-State, OU with Ok-State, etc. What happens to one of them will obviously affect the other. That isn't the case with Iowa/ISU. Whatever ends up happening to ISU is not going to affect Iowa.

I'm failing to see the logic in the thinking that Iowa has an obligation to look out for Iowa State, or that their fates are somehow tied together. Iowa is just as much of a bystander as ISU is.

You are right... we don't play each other in every sport ..... there is no rivalry.

Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series - Current Standings

-keep

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
It's been mentioned that KU/KSU, OU/OSU, and the Texas schools (sans Baylor) have mutual interest in staying together due to historic rivalries and stuff like that.

We already play each other every year in football and basketball. Why not add even more tension to the rivalry and give us common opponents during the conference season? That Iowa-ISU football game at the end of the 2001 season was one of the most exciting games of the season - in all of college football.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I've never disagreed with this and I've always been an advocate for ending the athletic competition between the schools as long as they occupied different conferences. Our situation in Iowa is unique. I still believe that we should get an invite to B10 and that we would enhance that conference, though.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Iowa doesn't but the BOR does. Getting left out of BCS level competition will hurt ISU.