ISU-UNI POST game thread

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'm not trying to single players out but damnit people need to open their eyes and stop calling for Chizik's head like ******* babies that got their blankie taken. There's a reason these games are played and you can't expect miracles with the same players. Give him 3-4 years and then start calling for heads.

Calm blue ocean, my son... Yeah, it's stupid, but we all knew that the closet Dan McCarney lovers would out be piling on Chizik this year. I just thought they might have the courtesy to at least wait a few more games. But, better that it happens now...it will help us to determine which posters we should take seriously and which ones we shouldn't...

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I don't know about that. A coach should always be on the hot seat, especially at 7 figures. One thing is for sure, everyone wants ISU to win. ISU could hire a coach for 30k per year and have a better season in almost every situation. This is a coach who has a QB and wide receiver who have already tasted success at Iowa State. Hopefully, he will take this as a wakeup call and try harder to turn the season around. From what I can tell, there was little improvement from week 1 to 2. Where is the urgency?

I don't mean to be confrontational but did you watch any games last year? Meyer played like **** pretty much all year and has just picked up where he left off. He is so damn predictable and never checks any other receiver than the one he called in the huddle. The guy made some incredibly bad decisions tonight that really ended up costing us a chance of getting a win. If you think that anybody else could get him out of his funk, you should probably start playing the lotto and get your retirement plans all ready.

Now, I agree we looked like **** tonight but to call for a coach's head after two games is not only moronic in my opinion (please, no offense meant) but it's completely near-sighted and without reason. I know more than a few players on this team that I've talked to that would give anything to have had Chizik here for some of our past teams. The guy has these guys believing, they just aren't delivering when it matters for whatever reason.

Apr 14, 2006
I don't think that anyone was looking for wins at OK and Texas this season. Iowa State is arguably the worst team in D1. We all know that Chizik isn't going anywhere. Time to wake the guy up though.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Sorry for my past posts, I just see things going on that I've never thought were ever going to happen at ISU for FB and I really hope our fan-base is smart enough to stick together for a couple of years to make it a reality. I honestly thought from day one that we could possibly go winless this year and to tell you the truth, I don't think that's out of the question. As much as that hurts to say as a fan, I also think that the future is going to be incredibly fun if the right chance is given to the staff. They aren't setting things up to win a sprint, they're setting things up to have long-term success.

I'll put it this way, there are fans that sit at the starting line to watch a marathon without the foresight to realize that the finish line is several miles down the road and get pissed that they didn't get to see anything exciting.

Some people complain to complain, some expect gold to be spun from silk and some realize things take time. I guess we all have a place but it's frustrating to see the fan-base act like the exact people we always talk bad about out east.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Re: Okay, ISU sucks

Boise was 2003, if you're going to talk smack, get your s*&t straight.

Speaking of needing to get your **** straight.....Boise was in 2002. 2003 was the wonderful 2-10 season.

Now, on to tonight's game. I was able to take last week's beating at the hand of Kent State, but tonight's game was just plain horrible. No semblance of an offensive gameplan. Linebackers running into each other and not covering their areas of the field. ZERO forced turnovers. ZERO...against a I-AA team. Very little pressure on the UNI QB while we let their D-line run wild a few times. No defense for the quick slants and quick screen passes out toward the sidelines.

Ugly....UGLY game. We allowed the clock to run out on the first half for the second straight game....after just having given UNI another score going into the lockerroom.

The turning point in the game was the fumbled punt. The defense had just held UNI to a 3 and out to get some momentum back and then it was gone.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Wow. cycloneinmonaco, either take a chill-pill, or go to bed. Seriously. We're two GAMES, not years, into the Chizik era. I seem to be rather impressed, or not, by the third year of a coach at the school. Ferentz went 1-10 and 3-8, and Stoops had two sub-par years at Oklahoma before he did anything significant.

Apr 14, 2006
Actually, thanks to a great 2005 season, there were a lot of games to watch on TV last year... so... yes, I did see a lot of him last season. I don't buy the lack of talent argument. ISU can get it done, and they can win a couple this season. Its really not up to us what happens, its up to the players and coaches. If they aren't on the hot seat there will be no sense in urgency. Period. We are obviously behind the team or we wouldn't be online in the middle of the night venting!

St. Lou Clone

Apr 11, 2006
This is the world we live in now as far as complaints.

Heck complaining helped get the last three coaches fired. Obviously there was a reward out there to the complainers here lately. Complaining about Morgan, Complaining that we better not lose Cael, and Complaining that McCarney was a snake oil salesman.

The precedent has been set with short leashes around here.

Also, I expected us to win against UNI. I knew that Kent State was a solid ballclub, but I expected that game to be close all the way. It was that. I was "OK" with that loss. But, to follow that up in week 2 with a loss to UNI was ridiculous. And to start calling the fans "hawkeyes" because they are calling out the coaches isn't fair either. ISU was a better team last year at this point under McCarney.

Last year in week two we actually beat a D-I team in week 2.

Did I expect the team to be better athletically now? No. But I expected better fundamentals, fewer penalties, and a team that might get beat narrowly by UNI. I did not expect the loss, and if you did, you should have said something.

Coaches can and should take responsibility for games like this. At least in any public forum. I expect Chizik will. But, as fans we shouldn't just let him off the hook because it's year one should we? Hold him accountable.

Apr 14, 2006
Well, back then most teams didn't have 3 fluff games to start the season! I think that with 9 out of 10 D1 coaches ISU would be sitting at 2-0. Then again, I could be wrong.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Btw...has anyone else ever seen a team take the field to Sweet Caroline like we did in the second half. Evidently, even Neil Diamond couldn't pump us up enough to get us to come back. That song needs to be dropped from the playlist immediately, as well as the "that's another Cyclone first down"!

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That "good" Kent State team lost 56-20 today at Kentucky.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Re: Anyone should have seen this coming

Maybe I'm stupid, but I didn't see this coming. I know it's gonna be work in process for a while but this is worse than I expected. I guess maybe I overestimated our talent, but I really thought we were better than this. Still, let's show improvement week to week and get some wins this year.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I agree you can hold the staff accountable but there's a difference in accountable and asking for his head. Short leashes are good at times but Mac has his chance, Morgan never should have been in the position he was and Cael would have been a devastating loss. That's different than calling for somebody's head after inheriting very little talent by all regards and losting two freaking games.

I'm not saying people are without warrant for being mad and dissapointed, you wouldn't be a fan if you weren't but that's different than being completely against the coaching staff for mistakes made by players on the field. I agree we had no offense tonight but the staff can't really do anything about it during the game. They hold the practices and do the training and it's up to the players on game-night to get it together when it matters. If they run into each other or make the worst decisions passing, it's not because Chizik and co are on the sidelines pulling strings like puppets.

St. Lou Clone

Apr 11, 2006
as bad as our old coach was by the way, his new team is actually hanging in there tough with a top 20 team. 17-17 USF/Auburn. 7:48 left in the game.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Btw...has anyone else ever seen a team take the field to Sweet Caroline like we did in the second half. Evidently, even Neil Diamond couldn't pump us up enough to get us to come back. That song needs to be dropped from the playlist immediately, as well as the "that's another Cyclone first down"!

I was furious when they started playing Sweet Caroline, and simply enraged when I figured out that they weren't going to cut it off when the team came out.

I stick with one of my earlier statements that there is a conspiracy to play Sweet Caroline at the worst possible times this year so that it gets dropped. Last week it was after a Kent St. touchdown. This week as the players came out. What's next, play it after every time we turn the ball over? After every time we lose yards?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I hate that song and they always seem to play it at the absolute worst times. I know the fans sing to it but damnit when we're struggling at half-time, let's get something a little more exciting on the PA to get the team and crow on their feet. It's the same thing with basketball, they play the worst music when we really need pumping up. Just a personal rant. I wish we could make enough noise to get a new audio crew in there.