JUDOKA BLOG: Big 12 Championships Preview

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Someone want to fill me on the Gadson Blake chit chat, the internet feed was sketchy and jumping around

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
My overall thoughts about today:

[video=youtube;QWfbGGZE07M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWfbGGZE07M[/video]

Not perfect, but we came in with four guys going to Des Moines and left with six, with a very good shot at that ending up being 7 and a small shot at 8. We won every match we were supposed to win and got a few upsets along the way. Overall a pretty good day for Cyclone Wrestling. A huge, huge, huge improvement from November.

lUsws1V.gif

For sure NCAA qualifiers:

141: Luke Goettl
149: Max Mayfield
165: Mike Moreno
174: Tanner Weatherman
184: Boaz Beard
197: Kyven Gadson

Almost for sure At Large Bid:
HWT: Matt Gibson

Possible At Large Bid:
125: Ryak Finch

Realistic But Very Small Chance At An At Large Bid:
133: John Meeks

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Judoka as always keepin' the uninformed informed... and nice recap at the end...still like to know what went down between Gadson and Blake

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
My overall thoughts about today:

[video=youtube;QWfbGGZE07M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWfbGGZE07M[/video]

Not perfect, but we came in with four guys going to Des Moines and left with six, with a very good shot at that ending up being 7 and a small shot at 8. We won every match we were supposed to win and got a few upsets along the way. Overall a pretty good day for Cyclone Wrestling. A huge, huge, huge improvement from November.

lUsws1V.gif

For sure NCAA qualifiers:

141: Luke Goettl
149: Max Mayfield
165: Mike Moreno
174: Tanner Weatherman
184: Boaz Beard
197: Kyven Gadson

Almost for sure At Large Bid:
HWT: Matt Gibson

Possible At Large Bid:
125: Ryak Finch

Realistic But Very Small Chance At An At Large Bid:
133: John Meeks

This is true, no doubt about it.

I hate to throw water on a warm fire, but have they shown enough to allow KJ to stay another year? My personal opinion is that it is still time for a change. They have improved over the last 1/3 of the season, but where we are as a program is still lacking. Thoughts?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I hate to throw water on a warm fire, but have they shown enough to allow KJ to stay another year? My personal opinion is that it is still time for a change. They have improved over the last 1/3 of the season, but where we are as a program is still lacking. Thoughts?

Barring a total meltdown and NCAAs I think he has earned a two year extension. I honestly don't think the Pollard could bring anyone in that would be a substantial improvement. Jackson isn't a perfect coach but he's addressed his biggest shortcomings this year and I think he deserves to see his first real recruiting class graduate. I don't think people realize the state the program was in two years ago.

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Someone want to fill me on the Gadson Blake chit chat, the internet feed was sketchy and jumping around

I'm wondering if Rosholt thought Gadson tried to poke him in the eye on purpose with a few seconds left in the match (I think that may have been what caused Gadson's injury timeout). It looked like Kyven didn't want to shake hands though, idk.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
KJ will stay unless he leaves on his own. Besides, who are we going to hire? (I know, we can throw out names) There will not be the interest in the job from the people who we like to think would be interested. I am excited to see our guys grow and hope the NCAA meet will continue that development. need a few more pieces for sure

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think when you have to top competitor and Kyven wins all 3, that Rosholt probably mouth a little and Kyven isn't going to take no ****.

This was just a stepping stone to get to where Kyven wants to be. TOP OF THE PODIUM IN DES MOINES!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

From afar, my opinion would be to let him stay one more year. Parallel results won't be satisfactory though. From where I sit the improvement isn't limited to just qualifiers but the amount of guys who seem to be competitive more often than in the past couple years. I would say we need to improve next year and in the year after that we need to be competitive on a national scale. Again, that's from just results, not really knowing a lot about wrestling.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
From afar, my opinion would be to let him stay one more year. Parallel results won't be satisfactory though. From where I sit the improvement isn't limited to just qualifiers but the amount of guys who seem to be competitive more often than in the past couple years. I would say we need to improve next year and in the year after that we need to be competitive on a national scale. Again, that's from just results, not really knowing a lot about wrestling.

I agree with you except I think it has to be two years so you don't kill recruiting.

traparm1

Mar 17, 2012
Wasnt ISU's schedule much more tuff last year? Although there is apparent growth, its hard to say how much. Nationals should be the indicator.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Barring a total meltdown and NCAAs I think he has earned a two year extension. I honestly don't think the Pollard could bring anyone in that would be a substantial improvement. Jackson isn't a perfect coach but he's addressed his biggest shortcomings this year and I think he deserves to see his first real recruiting class graduate. I don't think people realize the state the program was in two years ago.

I remember where the program was, I am one of the few that have followed the program since the 90s. I readily admit that we have improved over the year, but are we really where we want to be since Sanderson left? I guess to me, the overall answer is no.

I know when Cael left, a lot went with him. I get that, but ISU is still a name that should draw top wrestling talent, and either we weren't able to recruit that talent here, or we did and it is not getting developed.

I don't buy that there are not coaches out there that would take the ISU job that could do better than KJ. ISU is and always will be a destination job for wrestling coaches. I have a ton of respect for KJ, and I was on board when he came here because our guys immediately were more aggressive, which I felt we lacked under Sanderson. I don't see that same edge in our wrestlers now, and our results really aren't better.

Like I said, not trying to be a mood killer because what they did tonight is better than what they were predicted and I am excited for Nationals, but I am just curious what others think. At the beginning of the year, after our horrid start, many were on board with replacing KJ. I think when I look at where we are objectively, I'm still on board with that, but I'm interested to hear others' side on it.