JUDOKA BLOG: Big 12 Championships Preview

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
So how do you not understand where the program was at when Cale went to Penn?! Yes we had some great guys stay but when they graduated, we had to bring in a lot of new recruits. All his switched to Penn st and some even left the program. This was basucally a brand new team starting over. How do you expect a new program to compete with teams like okie st, iowa and so on?
We all know where the program was at when Cael left. We have all stated probably a dozen times what he all took with him, in recruits and future recruits. We are just stating that we werent happy with the way our guys were competing. Meaning we thought they had no fire in them, which came down to KJ, but we have all backed off when we saw how much the team has improved. Stop trying to cause a stir, we get it you want us to eat our words except we already beat you to it.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I was one of the early ones that wanted to keep KJ and it had alot to do with the staff.
I also noticed a different team unity and additude around the Oklahoma dual and it kept getting stronger.
I think many were skepical and rightfully so. It just took longer for some to believe it wasn't just a blimp.
This team is bonding and showing fight and it showed this weekend.

bbrill140

Jul 1, 2006
I loved to see the fight the team has. Even though they don't have the horses to be on top right now they are starting to show some attitude. I like how they would not let OSU wrestlers or fans walk all over them. I have always respected and was even a big fan of the Cowboys growing up, but their arrogance over the weekend really turned me off. They were the one team other than the Cyclones that I would cheer for and loved to see them beat the Hawks but they really came of as jerks over the weekend.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have a vague understanding of recruiting in wrestling but I would think that with all the guys that left, KJ would have been forced to sacrifice going after the big names who could help early in an effort to shore up shear numbers and due to not having full scholarships for everyone, it seems that would be difficult. So, in terms, of recruiting can you even evaluate the job he's doing fairly? I seriously don't know how all the ins and outs of recruiting work there so if someone could expand on that or just tell me I'm an idiot that would be great.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I have a vague understanding of recruiting in wrestling but I would think that with all the guys that left, KJ would have been forced to sacrifice going after the big names who could help early in an effort to shore up shear numbers and due to not having full scholarships for everyone, it seems that would be difficult. So, in terms, of recruiting can you even evaluate the job he's doing fairly? I seriously don't know how all the ins and outs of recruiting work there so if someone could expand on that or just tell me I'm an idiot that would be great.

You're on the right track. There was a big senior class, with lots of money tied up, when Jackson came on. There was very little behind them - we had been building the team to peak that year. But the timing of Cael's departure plus the defection of a lot of the redshirts meant we basically had an empty room behind them. The team had to almost be built from scratch. Look at our roster in 2011 and 2012 - a bare handful of upperclassmen, especially at the lower weights. This has a cascading effect that we saw last year with Ryak and Luke, they didn't have any upperclassman workout partners to beat them up while they were redshirts. And it showed last year with their struggles adapting to the college level. When your room is empty you can't toss full scholarships at just 1 or 2 kids, you have to spread it around to develop depth in the room.

Our roster now is still Freshman/Sophomore dominated. We only have two seniors and one junior in the lineup. But we're at a point where we have a critical mass of depth in the room. Guys like Ryak and Luke are now experienced and can pass that on to the new guys coming in. And our assistant coaching staff has gotten better. Both by adding Nickerson and the alumni guys becoming more experienced.

Not to say there haven't been misses. Joey Coazrt was supposed to be a bigtime recruit for us. He turned out to be a headcase and is now at an NIAA school. This year Destin McCauley was signed and we'd commited a hefty amount of money to him. But then, well after the recruiting season was over, he decided to stay at the OTC. Too late for us to put that money to use elsewhere.

However, the bright side of that is that our depth is at a point now where we can start to commit big money to key recruits.

I personally think Jackson has earned a two year extension to see the current sophomore class (his first class) through to their senior season. But even if he was replaced tomorrow he'll have left the program in much, much better shape than Cael did.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We all know where the program was at when Cael left. We have all stated probably a dozen times what he all took with him, in recruits and future recruits. We are just stating that we werent happy with the way our guys were competing. Meaning we thought they had no fire in them, which came down to KJ, but we have all backed off when we saw how much the team has improved. Stop trying to cause a stir, we get it you want us to eat our words except we already beat you to it.

So if u are all eating your words, than why are you guys still bi****** about KJ and wanting someone else?! My whole point is some of you cant just enjoy what is taking place, but would rather conplain about KJ and if he is still the right coach. He is obviously doing something right if the team is improving. He has got a very good staff and is getting production out of them. Not trying to stir the pot. Just dont understand people still wanting KJ fired.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So throw McCauley on this years team. How does he fit? Is he a qualifier or is he redshirting?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So if u are all eating your words, than why are you guys still bi****** about KJ and wanting someone else?! My whole point is some of you cant just enjoy what is taking place, but would rather conplain about KJ and if he is still the right coach.

That's why I responded like I did when it came up. We vastly overperform this last weekend, including some amazing individual performances and it takes a total of about an hour to turn into the 1,000,000th Jackson coaching thread. Can we just appreciate the wrestlers and what they've done for once? Gadson was a champion! Moreno knocked off a guy who was an NCAA finalist! Goettl stole a spot in Des Moines! Mayfield scored a huge upset for his first ever NCAA berth! Come on guys. Can we actually talk about the team itself for once?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
That's significant. Kind of a **** move to do what he did then. So are we sitting on a full ride right now?

I'm not privy to what they did with the money (I'm not an insider, just a jerk on a message board). But my guess would be that they bumped up a few guys for this year with the understanding that that'll come out of what they get in future years. So a guy who is on a .3 scholarship might have been bumped to .5 and will get .1 next year. Something like that. It was too late to use it for recruiting so might as well put it to use with the current members of the team.

And it was a **** move - both by Destin and the coaching staff at the OTC. They aren't constrained by NCAA rules and months after he signed with us they put a full court press on to get him to stay. And since he was already at the OTC last year they had his attention 24/7. Not a great way to build bridges with NCAA coaches. Though if my understanding is correct it was a girlfriend in Colorado Springs as much as anything else that made him stay. Since he didn't enroll in a college his LOI has lapsed and I doubt we're making an attempt at him this year. He's too flakey. He pulled this on Wisconsin the year before he did it to us.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
So if u are all eating your words, than why are you guys still bi****** about KJ and wanting someone else?! My whole point is some of you cant just enjoy what is taking place, but would rather conplain about KJ and if he is still the right coach. He is obviously doing something right if the team is improving. He has got a very good staff and is getting production out of them. Not trying to stir the pot. Just dont understand people still wanting KJ fired.
You're the one that keeps bringing up about KJ and who wants him fired. All of us our extremely happy with our guys right now and how well they have turned the corner and all can say the KJ has earned at least another year. We are giving praises to the guys along with the coaching staff. A question was asked if we thought KJ earned another year and 99% of us agreed that he did and that was that. I am extremely happy with the turn around and the direction we are going and I hope that it continues and truly believe that it will.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I'm not privy to what they did with the money (I'm not an insider, just a jerk on a message board). But my guess would be that they bumped up a few guys for this year with the understanding that that'll come out of what they get in future years. So a guy who is on a .3 scholarship might have been bumped to .5 and will get .1 next year. Something like that. It was too late to use it for recruiting so might as well put it to use with the current members of the team.

And it was a **** move - both by Destin and the coaching staff at the OTC. They aren't constrained by NCAA rules and months after he signed with us they put a full court press on to get him to stay. And since he was already at the OTC last year they had his attention 24/7. Not a great way to build bridges with NCAA coaches. Though if my understanding is correct it was a girlfriend in Colorado Springs as much as anything else that made him stay. Since he didn't enroll in a college his LOI has lapsed and I doubt we're making an attempt at him this year. He's too flakey. He pulled this on Wisconsin the year before he did it to us.
You're not the only one to hear of that. Actually if I was a betting man and with a little insider on it I'd lay down a good amount that it played 90% of the role in the decision, the other 10% was that he was already there.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I am happy with current trends, but remain at best 50/50 on KJ. The positive read is that next year's team returns lots of experienced guys who will get better. The negative read: the most promising three (Moreno, Gadsen, Weatherman) improve, but others mostly do not (or have limited talent) and the team remains mired at a 15-25 ranking.

Here are my concerns:
125: Finch: likely topped out
133: Meeks: redshirt; Terukina and others are limited
141: Goettl: nearly topped out
149: ???
157: Molina: will get better, but his ceiling is limited
165: Moreno: real promise
174: Weatherman: same as above
184: Beard: likely topped out
197: Gadsen: title contender
Hwt: ???; Smith is a mystery (I am skeptical he'll ever see the mat), the others are not D1 competitors

I do not think the team will go backward, but KJ's lackluster recruiting, the continued failure at the lower weights, and the lack of lightweight postgrad talent in the room leave me skeptical that he can go much higher. In the end, KJ made one terrible mistake: he hired an underqualified Washington and kept him far too long. His hiring of Nickerson was great, but it may be too little too late.

You're the one that keeps bringing up about KJ and who wants him fired. All of us our extremely happy with our guys right now and how well they have turned the corner and all can say the KJ has earned at least another year. We are giving praises to the guys along with the coaching staff. A question was asked if we thought KJ earned another year and 99% of us agreed that he did and that was that. I am extremely happy with the turn around and the direction we are going and I hope that it continues and truly believe that it will.

Reactions: Judoka

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I am happy with current trends, but remain at best 50/50 on KJ. The positive read is that next year's team returns lots of experienced guys who will get better. The negative read: the most promising three (Moreno, Gadsen, Weatherman) improve, but others mostly do not (or have limited talent) and the team remains mired at a 15-25 ranking.

Here are my concerns:
125: Finch: likely topped out
133: Meeks: redshirt; Terukina and others are limited
141: Goettl: nearly topped out
149: ???
157: Molina: will get better, but his ceiling is limited
165: Moreno: real promise
174: Weatherman: same as above
184: Beard: likely topped out
197: Gadsen: title contender
Hwt: ???; Smith is a mystery (I am skeptical he'll ever see the mat), the others are not D1 competitors

I do not think the team will go backward, but KJ's lackluster recruiting, the continued failure at the lower weights, and the lack of lightweight postgrad talent in the room leave me skeptical that he can go much higher. In the end, KJ made one terrible mistake: he hired an underqualified Washington and kept him far too long. His hiring of Nickerson was great, but it may be too little too late.
I stated this once before I cant remember and thought it was great that he hired Nickerson but expressed concern that he might be spread a little thin for the lighter weights.... but for the heck of me I can't really think who we could even attempt at bringing back that's post-grad that has been great for us when he was here that isn't already in a coaching position somewhere else.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I heard the Gallicks and Mitch Mueller have been coming up from Des Moines to help out to some degree. Not sure how often.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We only had 1 seeded wrestler and we are not matched up with any #1 or #2 guys in our 1st round.

Gibson would have Bradley if he wins the pigtail and 1st round. I don't think we can complain to much, when we only have 1 seeded wrestler.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
We only had 1 seeded wrestler and we are not matched up with any #1 or #2 guys in our 1st round.

Gibson would have Bradley if he wins the pigtail and 1st round. I don't think we can complain to much, when we only have 1 seeded wrestler.

Yeah, that seems to make sense. Does the pigtail count for the same number of team points as a first round matchup?

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
So how do you not understand where the program was at when Cale went to Penn?! Yes we had some great guys stay but when they graduated, we had to bring in a lot of new recruits. All his switched to Penn st and some even left the program. This was basucally a brand new team starting over. How do you expect a new program to compete with teams like okie st, iowa and so on?

Exactly. I can't say enough that it had nothing to do with national titles, conference titles, individual champs, or # of AAs...the cupboard was pretty bare. I accepted the dual losses (most of them), but I had a hard time accepting how we lost. It didn't meet the expectations I was hoping for. The team has shown outstanding improvement over the past month, that's why I asked which is the real team we will get under KJ...the previous 2.5 years, or the current 1 month?

Clearly we know where JP stands, and I support it like a good Cyclone would, but it doesn't mean we can't discuss where we are at with it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron