Iowa fans at ISU

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I think it's gotten a bit better since I was there at the turn of the century. When we were in the midst of the 15 year drought there were a TON of cocky Hawks in Ames.
agreed.

I was in school from Fall 98- Spring 03, we beat them every year I was enrolled.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
why does UI have engineering? shouldn't the three schools divvy up each program? I love how the state of Iowa has one college system and in general we work together. So much better than most other states. GO (state of) IOWA!

You're venturing into Marvin Pomerantz territory here. He wanted to eliminate all duplicate programs and make UI the "flagship" with UI-Ames and UI-Cedar Falls as part of the "system".

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
You're venturing into Marvin Pomerantz territory here. He wanted to eliminate all duplicate programs and make UI the "flagship" with UI-Ames and UI-Cedar Falls as part of the "system".

Yea, I think if you went too far down that road, you wouldn't like some of the programs that started getting cut at ISU. And really, from a student perspective, especially undergrads, it's probably good that one of the other state schools has an engineering college. Competition, even if its a little one-sided, keeps the program sharp.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa State fans can do whatever makes the feel better. Concocting some notion of a paradigm shift in the state of Iowa is one that is frequently employed. The person who said Iowa State is well represented in Cedar Rapids is either blind or he never leaves his house. Iowa flags, shirts, license plates, etc. easily outnumber ISU by a 5:1 ratio, and in truth it is probably closer to 10:1. As far as the football teams go, Iowa has been poor lately, and that is pretty obvious. However, they have a young roster filled with quality recruits, and they won't be down long. 1 out of every 4 recruits Iowa State gets doesn't even have a Rivals recruiting profile. Not to mention the nonexistent momentum in your football program. Your hero coach has had one winning season, and it wasn't even with his own recruits. His "bet team yet" last year won what, 3 conference games? And got blasted by Tulsa in one of the worst bowl games college football has to offer (in before what bowl game did Iowa make?). Not to mention that this years team looks to be one of TE least talented teams Rhoads has had yet, and will be lucky to win 4 games. I don't understand where the optimism is coming from. But like sheep, if Pollard and Rhoads say things are improving, you follow andactually believe them. Lol. Iowa has the better past, better present, and better future than Iowa State, and that is NEVER going to change.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I've said it on this site before, and I'm saying it again. Who you root for should have no tie with where you go to school. I root for Iowa, but I grew up on that. If ISU had a stellar journalism program (or better than Iowa's), I would have gone to ISU. I'm going to be paying through the nose for the next 10 years for the education I got. I don't owe the university anything more than my money.

For the record, though, I wouldn't make a habit of wearing Iowa stuff on ISU's campus. I did it once when I visited a couple buddies, but I didn't take any mean-spirited stuff. Just some friendly ribbing (even from strangers), which is fine. I somehow doubt that people were "shunned" solely because they were wearing Iowa gear. I'd venture they've done or said other things to **** people off.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Iowa State fans can do whatever makes the feel better. Concocting some notion of a paradigm shift in the state of Iowa is one that is frequently employed. The person who said Iowa State is well represented in Cedar Rapids is either blind or he never leaves his house. Iowa flags, shirts, license plates, etc. easily outnumber ISU by a 5:1 ratio, and in truth it is probably closer to 10:1. As far as the football teams go, Iowa has been poor lately, and that is pretty obvious. However, they have a young roster filled with quality recruits, and they won't be down long. 1 out of every 4 recruits Iowa State gets doesn't even have a Rivals recruiting profile. Not to mention the nonexistent momentum in your football program. Your hero coach has had one winning season, and it wasn't even with his own recruits. His "bet team yet" last year won what, 3 conference games? And got blasted by Tulsa in one of the worst bowl games college football has to offer (in before what bowl game did Iowa make?). Not to mention that this years team looks to be one of TE least talented teams Rhoads has had yet, and will be lucky to win 4 games. I don't understand where the optimism is coming from. But like sheep, if Pollard and Rhoads say things are improving, you follow andactually believe them. Lol. Iowa has the better past, better present, and better future than Iowa State, and that is NEVER going to change.

what bowl game did Iowa make?

wat.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

1310566609761.jpg

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I've said it on this site before, and I'm saying it again. Who you root for should have no tie with where you go to school. I root for Iowa, but I grew up on that. If ISU had a stellar journalism program (or better than Iowa's), I would have gone to ISU. I'm going to be paying through the nose for the next 10 years for the education I got. I don't owe the university anything more than my money.

For the record, though, I wouldn't make a habit of wearing Iowa stuff on ISU's campus. I did it once when I visited a couple buddies, but I didn't take any mean-spirited stuff. Just some friendly ribbing (even from strangers), which is fine. I somehow doubt that people were "shunned" solely because they were wearing Iowa gear. I'd venture they've done or said other things to **** people off.

I think it's the people that use "I grew up a Hawk fan" as some proud excuse to not engage with their school beyond the classroom that get "shunned". Iowa and ISU have exactly 2 (maybe 3 or 4 depending on your passion for women's sports) times a year that it's even a conflict of interest. If you're a sports fan you can EASILY still join in on the fun for the rest of the season. The guys that didn't do that...I try not to judge, but it was a head-scratcher for me.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
So, let me get this straight. ISU is pulling in the casual fan (tavern clone?), and these fans are only coming out and about because the team is getting better?

And here I thought ISU was above and beyond the bandwagoner.

Tavern clones are an educated bunch. Tavern Hawks are low life trailer trash. There's your difference :)

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I don't mind if there are Iowa fans, but when I see them wearing hawk shirts in Ames that ******* pisses me off.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames

Sounds like what happens to most hawk fans on campus unless they are being total jack*****. If I went to Iowa I would probably be an Iowa fan but root for ISU when we played them. Lots of hawk fans do that at ISU too.

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
Iowa certainly has a better past than ISU in football. Currently, not really. Future...remains to be seen. The only definitive statement that I can make now is this...U Iowa has a heck of a lot more Hootchie Mommas on campus than Iowa State. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
To be fair, one kid made the Dean's List both semesters in Aero.

So he transferred to a school with no Aero E major cause he was hurt that no one liked him being an obnoxious Hawk fan in Ames? More likely he heard that not only did U of I finish as top party school but also school that studies the least. The only Aero E class they even take frosh year is 160-161, the simple intro engineering course that they have varieties of in the other engineering majors.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
There is a lot of dumb there. Take a few deep breaths next time.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Where ISU is winning is with the youth. ISU has spent alot of time and effort to start grooming the next generation of Cyclone fans while Iowa sits around with its thumb up its butt and depends on history to dictate the future. It's been a fine ride watching the huge increase in ISU fans in this state and it's going to continue to happen whether you want to admit it or not. More and more kids are choosing ISU. More and more casual fans are choosing ISU. It's happening right in front of your face and you are still eating cheetos talking about Tate to Holloway with your buddies.

Reactions: SenorCy

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I was going to post a question about why those who claim to be a "fan of both schools" always defend the hell out of iowa in these types of threads. Then althawk came along. You other guys really aren't that bad in comparison.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I think it's the people that use "I grew up a Hawk fan" as some proud excuse to not engage with their school beyond the classroom that get "shunned". Iowa and ISU have exactly 2 (maybe 3 or 4 depending on your passion for women's sports) times a year that it's even a conflict of interest. If you're a sports fan you can EASILY still join in on the fun for the rest of the season. The guys that didn't do that...I try not to judge, but it was a head-scratcher for me.

And there it is. I definitely root for ISU outside of 4 days of the year (well, I suppose technically 9 days, if you count the weeklong buildup to the football game). The people who have some sort of burning hatred for ISU blow my mind.