[Housing] Which is best for me?

Kraps

Jun 26, 2014
So I'm an incoming freshman. My major is computer science, but I play sports and like partying. So my question is, do I want to live in Friley or Larch? If I live in friley I'm pretty sure I'd have to live with a sophomore but I feel like that's not a big deal? Which do you guys think will be the better fit for me, people & location wise? Thanks.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My piece of advice, since I only have experience with Friley and not Larch, is as a freshman, don't go around telling people about how you're not a nerd.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Here is my suggestion. Don't live with a Sophomore. Most of the time they will be unsocial because they are still in the dorm or they will be a different kind of social than partying all the time. There will be few exceptions (like I had to live in the dorms for two years for one of my scholarships) Larch will have parties and partyers but it will be a hellhole to live in.

I personally would suggest BWR. You'll most likely end up in an 90% Freshman Floor and that's a good thing. You meet everyone over in Oak Elm (The all girls building) but since it is an all-male building, no one wants to party there. So you don't have to deal with the **** when you're trying to cram for an exam or whatever. Plus you'll be bros with at least a few of them on your floor.

Plus what I've noticed from Co-ed floors, it is a ******* contest to try to impress the girls. On all-male floors, it's just whatever man.

But honestly, just go into the whole thing (whichever floor/building you end up choosing) with an open mind. AND DON'T GO HOME LABOR DAY WEEKEND. Seriously

Kraps

Jun 26, 2014
Here is my suggestion. Don't live with a Sophomore. Most of the time they will be unsocial because they are still in the dorm or they will be a different kind of social than partying all the time. There will be few exceptions (like I had to live in the dorms for two years for one of my scholarships) Larch will have parties and partyers but it will be a hellhole to live in.

I personally would suggest BWR. You'll most likely end up in an 90% Freshman Floor and that's a good thing. You meet everyone over in Oak Elm (The all girls building) but since it is an all-male building, no one wants to party there. So you don't have to deal with the **** when you're trying to cram for an exam or whatever. Plus you'll be bros with at least a few of them on your floor.

Plus what I've noticed from Co-ed floors, it is a ******* contest to try to impress the girls. On all-male floors, it's just whatever man.

But honestly, just go into the whole thing (whichever floor/building you end up choosing) with an open mind. AND DON'T GO HOME LABOR DAY WEEKEND. Seriously

Thanks. Most of those rooms are full anyway so Larch seems to be my main option. Why do you say Larch is a hell hole? And are the bathrooms in larch private? like a single toilet, single shower etc?

I thought you already got a housing assignment to Wilson?
Yeah, you can change whenever you want throughout July and I'm not trying to be so far away from campus

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
[video=youtube_share;ug8nHaelWtc]http://youtu.be/ug8nHaelWtc[/video]

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
MWL seemed like it had more parties going on, but Friley is going to be a lot closer to your major-related classes. I think my husband's house was some type of Cpr E/Eng/Comp Sci learning community, so most of the people in his house had similar classes. Makes it easy to study/ask questions.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I'm not sure you have a choice for either at this point. I thought they were both full.

Kraps

Jun 26, 2014
I'm not sure you have a choice for either at this point. I thought they were both full.

Surprisingly there's a decent amount of rooms left. Anyway, I made my choice and picked Larch. Can this thread be closed?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So I'm an incoming freshman. My major is computer science, but I play sports and like partying. So my question is, do I want to live in Friley or Larch? If I live in friley I'm pretty sure I'd have to live with a sophomore but I feel like that's not a big deal? Which do you guys think will be the better fit for me, people & location wise? Thanks.

If you like partying, live in Larch. When I was in school it was where everyone who explicitly wanted to avoid the infamous Fresh Start (or got thrown out of it) lived. I had a blast there. Very social, hard partying building.

EDIT: nevermind; you made the right choice

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks. Most of those rooms are full anyway so Larch seems to be my main option. Why do you say Larch is a hell hole? And are the bathrooms in larch private? like a single toilet, single shower etc?

Yeah, you can change whenever you want throughout July and I'm not trying to be so far away from campus

I don't know what you mean by single. But you don't get your own personal bathroom. But there are separate stalls.

Larch is the worse of the three in MWL. Needs major renovations. It smells like nobodies business because no one gives a ****. Dark as hell in there.

It is basically the forgotten one of the 3 IMO.

I am objectively comparing it to other dorms. It's livable, they all are. I would live anywhere on campus technically. You'll be fine wherever you end up. Don't stress too much.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

A bunch of guys I knew (and myself) all decided to stay in Larch a second year, and pretty much all we did was party. The one freshman who hung out with us a lot almost flunked out of school trying to keep pace. But he caught on just fine 2nd semester, and he actually stayed in the dorms a second year when we all got a place off campus for junior year.

I realize this is the exception.

Also, co-ed floors are wildly entertaining. Everyone gets laid for the first couple months of school, and then you pretty well burn bridges with the members of the opposite sex after that period of time. You get to observe psychotic female drama without being a party to it. I remember there being a fairly unnattractive skanky girl who live on our floor. She brought some white rapper wannnabe guy back from a party and they started plowing in the guy's showers. The Larch showers have two layers of curtains between the entrance to the stall and the actual showerhead itself. My buddy Joe (the drunk freshman) sneaks in and steals their clothes, mid coitus. Our RA was gone for the weekend, so we were drinking beer in the lobby between the elevators, and watching those two race up and down the hallways wrapped up in shower curtains was ******* comedy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't know what you mean by single. But you don't get your own personal bathroom. But there are separate stalls.

Larch is the worse of the three in MWL. Needs major renovations. It smells like nobodies business because no one gives a ****. Dark as hell in there.

It is basically the forgotten one of the 3 IMO.

I am objectively comparing it to other dorms. It's livable, they all are. I would live anywhere on campus technically. You'll be fine wherever you end up. Don't stress too much.

The fact that Larch is a neglected hell hole made it awesome. Living in subhuman conditions is a big part of the collegiate experience. The house I lived in off-campus made Larch look pristine.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The fact that Larch is a neglected hell hole made it awesome. Living in subhuman conditions is a big part of the collegiate experience. The house I lived in off-campus made Larch look pristine.

I agree with that. My house right now is $1100 a month between 6 guys. It is the worst house you will ever see in Ames. But we love it because it is big and has quirks.

I am just giving him more info. I wouldn't live in MWL personally because I like the old school dorms but no matter what, he made the right school choice.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Where is Wilson at? Never went there in 3 years. I'd say either stay in Friley or Helser if it were me.