[Housing] Which is best for me?

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
A bunch of guys I knew (and myself) all decided to stay in Larch a second year, and pretty much all we did was party. The one freshman who hung out with us a lot almost flunked out of school trying to keep pace. But he caught on just fine 2nd semester, and he actually stayed in the dorms a second year when we all got a place off campus for junior year.

I realize this is the exception.

Also, co-ed floors are wildly entertaining. Everyone gets laid for the first couple months of school, and then you pretty well burn bridges with the members of the opposite sex after that period of time. You get to observe psychotic female drama without being a party to it.
I remember there being a fairly unnattractive skanky girl who live on our floor. She brought some white rapper wannnabe guy back from a party and they started plowing in the guy's showers. The Larch showers have two layers of curtains between the entrance to the stall and the actual showerhead itself. My buddy Joe (the drunk freshman) sneaks in and steals their clothes, mid coitus. Our RA was gone for the weekend, so we were drinking beer in the lobby between the elevators, and watching those two race up and down the hallways wrapped up in shower curtains was ******* comedy.
You just described my Helser experience in '06 to a frighteningly accurate degree.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree with that. My house right now is $1100 a month between 6 guys. It is the worst house you will ever see in Ames. But we love it because it is big and has quirks

I lived in quite a few hell holes two. My parents knew I was strictly in them to party.
When I first came to college the Towers had a party reputation, so obviously that's where I wanted to live.
I was on a visit with my mom (and about 25 other families) and was walking up to Knapp Hall and one of the mom's asks "Why are there metal cages around the whole outside?"
The hall director says "That's to protect you from falling chunks of the building."
My mom looks at me and I have a huge ****** grin on my face, and all she could do is laugh.

Loved living there, our doom floor (5th-Maney) had the second worst GPA on campus (3rd floor Storms took that title.) It was literally a dorm floor that felt like Animal House.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You just described my Helser experience in '06 to a frighteningly accurate degree.

I think Helser and Larch have a hell of a lot in common, and draw a very similar crowd. Especially in terms of the non-freshmen who stay there.

I remember pushing for off-campus my freshmen year, but two of my buddies (whose parents were footing the bill) were being strong-armed by their folks into staying in the dorms another year, so I decided to stay as well. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Tomorrow, I'll be getting together with the guys I met that 2nd year, almost 10 years after we first got drunk and played cards. To me, that's what college was really all about.

Last edited:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Larch.

Who willingly lives in the dorms for more than 1 year. My freshman year there was a 21 year old still living on our floor in Larch. Weirdo.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
My vote is Friley, but I may be biased as I lived there. Your going to be closer to classes, and closer to house party actions (unless your looking to party with the greeks).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Larch.

Who willingly lives in the dorms for more than 1 year. My freshman year there was a 21 year old still living on our floor in Larch. Weirdo.

Well, in my case it was move off-campus by myself or stay in the dorms with my buddies. It was an easy choice. I also had a good friend who had a scholarship that required he live in university housing to receive it, so he had to stay in the dorms for all 4 years. He made the best of it, and spent almost all of his free time at his friends' places off campus. I guess that's not at all "willingly" for him.

The second year in the dorm is a really, really good time, if you aren't awkward and/or anti-social. We had the hang of college down, and spent most of the time getting drunk. Picking up freshmen chicks was quite easy too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We had the hang of college down, and spent most of the time getting drunk. Picking up freshmen chicks was quite easy too.

Having met Al at some away ISU games, I can reassure you this is him with the rest of WRNL crew outside Larch:

they-stay-the-same.jpg

Last edited:

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
I think Helser and Larch have a hell of a lot in common, and draw a very similar crowd. Especially in terms of the non-freshmen who stay there.

I remember pushing for off-campus my freshmen year, but two of my buddies (whose parents were footing the bill) were being strong-armed by their folks into staying in the dorms another year, so I decided to stay as well. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Tomorrow, I'll be getting together with the guys I met that 2nd year, almost 10 years after we first got drunk and played cards. To me, that's what college was really all about.
They second year really does have a different vibe than the first. We all got super singles in Helser our second year. Most of us were engineers so by that time we had gotten our hardcore party/fail Calc 1 experience out of the way and had a good idea how to get **** done while still having a great time.

I love reading threads like this because it just brings back so many good memories. There really is nothing like Freshman year of college. The whole year is so wildly dynamic and filled with new people/experiences. Want to smoke cigarettes and hookah on the benches outside of Martin and Eaton at 3 in the morning on school night for a semester straight? Go for it. Want to place your buddy's dead pet tarantula in an Irish Springs soap box, light it on fire and blare a bag pipe version of Amazing Grace out your dorm window as terribly confused students walk by? Go for it.

It truly felt like you had the world by the nutts and you had no one to answer to but yourself.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They second year really does have a different vibe than the first. We all got super singles in Helser our second year. Most of us were engineers so by that time we had gotten our hardcore party/fail Calc 1 experience out of the way and had a good idea how to get **** done while still having a great time.

I love reading threads like this because it just brings back so many good memories. There really is nothing like Freshman year of college. The whole year is so wildly dynamic and filled with new people/experiences. Want to smoke cigarettes and hookah on the benches outside of Martin and Eaton at 3 in the morning on school night for a semester straight? Go for it. Want to place your buddy's dead pet tarantula in an Irish Springs soap box, light it on fire and blare a bag pipe version of Amazing Grace out your dorm window as terribly confused students walk by? Go for it.

It truly felt like you had the world by the nutts and you had no one to answer to but yourself.

One sentence which firmly encapsulates the intoxicating drug we call "college".

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I lived in quite a few hell holes two. My parents knew I was strictly in them to party.
When I first came to college the Towers had a party reputation, so obviously that's where I wanted to live.
I was on a visit with my mom (and about 25 other families) and was walking up to Knapp Hall and one of the mom's asks "Why are there metal cages around the whole outside?"
The hall director says "That's to protect you from falling chunks of the building."
My mom looks at me and I have a huge ****** grin on my face, and all she could do is laugh.

Loved living there, our doom floor (5th-Maney) had the second worst GPA on campus (3rd floor Storms took that title.) It was literally a dorm floor that felt like Animal House.

I lived on Roberts Franklin my freshman year. We had the worst on campus. We didn't have a CA from October to February, because we accidentally got him fired but it wasn't our fault. It was insane being alone like that. Our cumulative was like a 1.4. Out of our 25 or whatever, only 5 of us are still in school as upcoming Seniors. Everyone either failed out or dropped out. We all live in the same house to boot.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I realize this is the exception.

Also, co-ed floors are wildly entertaining. Everyone gets laid for the first couple months of school, and then you pretty well burn bridges with the members of the opposite sex after that period of time. You get to observe psychotic female drama without being a party to it. I remember there being a fairly unnattractive skanky girl who live on our floor. She brought some white rapper wannnabe guy back from a party and they started plowing in the guy's showers. The Larch showers have two layers of curtains between the entrance to the stall and the actual showerhead itself. My buddy Joe (the drunk freshman) sneaks in and steals their clothes, mid coitus. Our RA was gone for the weekend, so we were drinking beer in the lobby between the elevators, and watching those two race up and down the hallways wrapped up in shower curtains was ******* comedy.

Bolded for emphasis.

DIRustCohle

Apr 15, 2014
Ville Platte
If by sports you mean Xbox and Weed, you are golden........

Wilson Werkman for me my first year. There wasn't a better floor for slacker underachievers IMHO. It was awesome!
We had a foosball table, and our very own weed, and blow dealer.....which was nice.