Should we make a change at Head wrestling Coach?

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
I think it is time to make a change, however before we jump the gun we need to make sure that we can hire a great coach to replace Jackson. I am not an expert on the landscape of college wrestling coaches but a reactionary firing and hiring of an equal, worse, or slightly better coach won't accomplish anything. Jackson is recruiting so if we have to be patient for a year or whatever to hire a great coach we wont have an empty cupboard.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
1962Dr. Harold Nichols12-1-13rd30th
Sorry for the temporary derail, but wth happened at Nationals in '62? That was totally out of the norm for Nic's era and the rest of the season seemed respectable. Did we have some injuries between conference and nationals or something?

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
1962Dr. Harold Nichols12-1-13rd30th
Sorry for the temporary derail, but wth happened at Nationals in '62? That was totally out of the norm for Nic's era and the rest of the season seemed respectable. Did we have some injuries between conference and nationals or something?
Looking at this PDF of the 1962 brackets: http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1962.pdf if you didn't lose to one of the finalists, you didn't participate in the Consolations

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
Not really. 79 wrestling programs is way down from 10 years ago. How many will last another 10 years? 20 years? 30? At least baseball has staying power and the potential for TV revenue. Wrestling will never earn a significant amount from TV.

And our goal at ISU is 1st place, not 12th. If we can no longer achieve that, which we have not done in like 30 years, then it's time to call it quits.
There's no money in college baseball unless you're LSU. And what TV revenue? When's the last time you saw a big 12 team play on TV?

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
I think it is time to make a change, however before we jump the gun we need to make sure that we can hire a great coach to replace Jackson. I am not an expert on the landscape of college wrestling coaches but a reactionary firing and hiring of an equal, worse, or slightly better coach won't accomplish anything. Jackson is recruiting so if we have to be patient for a year or whatever to hire a great coach we wont have an empty cupboard.

This is the problem. I've struggled to think of someone who we legitimately have a shot at bringing in to coach that could get the kids to come to our program. I'm drawing a blank.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Not really. 79 wrestling programs is way down from 10 years ago. How many will last another 10 years? 20 years? 30? At least baseball has staying power and the potential for TV revenue. Wrestling will never earn a significant amount from TV.

And our goal at ISU is 1st place, not 12th. If we can no longer achieve that, which we have not done in like 30 years, then it's time to call it quits.

Like it did when they dropped it the first time? Stupid argument is stupid.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This year was a mess for ISU wrestling. I've been wanting a change for a few years now, and that is still the case. Spoon absolutely saved KJ at nationals.

This year had multiple arrests, guys suspended and leaving the team, lineup changes the week of conferences, weight management issues. A 12th place performance doesn't make this season anything near a success.

There are some decent recruits coming in, but there is no evidence in 7 years that KJ can develop a top recruit. Ryak Finch and Joey Cozart both top 30 p4p recruits. Meeks #5 p4p. If anything, decent recruits coming in is all the more reason to make a change to get someone who could develop them.

The only reason not to make a change is to wonder who would take the job. Coaches with great track records that should be considered are Popolizio, Pariano, Pritzlaff, Perry.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
You are correct but you need to realize that there are a lot of club members that aren't happy with what KJ is producing. I know for a fact that one of the biggest donors ($5000+) is decreasing donating to 100 because he isn't happy. Still buys tickets but isn't going to support a guy that he isn't happy with. I have the email from the guy that was suguesting everyone that isnt pleased, to email Pollard as he did.

Sorry to hear that; hate to lose a loyal supporter. although I live in Houston, and haven't attended any matches in the last few years, I always buy and donate season tickets and make a small contribution.
As you already know KJ is an Iowa State alum, NCAA champ and Olympic Gold medal - he's they type of profile we can build success. I feel we need to get better support with assist coaches and Cyclone club members who can hang around Ames and that can best be done with more donations.

Jfinley

Dec 1, 2015
The president of ISU, Geoffrey, was an athletic killer! Ever other school preaches the same ideals! How about an investment in athletics?

Jfinley

Dec 1, 2015
Example: In 1987, the president of Gibbs-Cook in DesMoines told me they were going to enclosed the end zone of the stadium! 25 years went by before they did anything! Almost every head coach hired had no head coach experience! They went cheap and got exactly what they invested!

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I know that Iowa High School wrestling is not quite as much of recruiting hotbed as it once used to be, and that there has been some talk of lack of AD support, but I still think that this is an elite job. We finish every year in the top 5 or 6 in attendance, we have a rich history including being one of only a handful of schools to win an NCAA title, and we have above average facilities.

I'm not on a witch hunt here and I am open to both sides of the argument. I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into a poo flinging contest like so many others on this topic seem to be. KJ has been here for 7 years now, and I think it is a fair topic for discussion as he's had time to establish the way he wants this program to run.

Personally, I'd prefer a change to be made, but I can see why some may want him to stay with the best recruiting class in several years coming in. I just think that by now we should be finishing in the top 10 every single year. I get the whole "who are we going to get thats better" argument, but I think thats a loser mentality. I'd rather see us make a change, strive to be back as a national power, and take a step backwards than not try at all. Thats all I've got.
I joined CWC, donated a couple bucks, and bought season tickets when Cael was here but have since dropped all that so I'm hardly a KJ cheerleader. But to dismiss this question as "loser mentality" is just not realistic. This is precisely the most important question to ask if you're Pollard and deciding what to do and others have said as much in this thread. There is enough money involved that you'd better not be making a change for the sake of change.

I have seen many names offered up over the years and what is telling is how most of those names -- the realistic ones, anyway -- are unable to sustain significantly better success than Jackson has had.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
For the record I am leaning towards giving KJ one more year but can see the argument for change now. But comments like the following are totally false: " ....but there is no evidence in 7 years that KJ can develop a top recruit. Ryak Finch and Joey Cozart both top 30 p4p recruits. Meeks #5 p4p. If anything, decent recruits coming in is all the more reason to make a change to get someone who could develop them. "

Every program has a subset of wrestlers they are not able to "develop" and Finch and Cozart where in the program less than 3 years so how can you use them as examples. Nice how you forget about the development of Varner (better as a Sr. then Junior), Zabriskie, Reader, Gadson, M. Moreno and G. Moreno until he got hurt two years ago. I will agree that the staff has a hard time getting freshmen and younger kids ready to compete. I think this has been the biggest learning curve for KJ. He is having to deal with 18-20 year olds and not 23-35 year old athletes. There is a big difference.

It appears to me KJ and staff over time can develop the top recruits that also have the desire to be a champion. This last part is the key and unfortunately he did not bring enough of those guys into the program in the early years and has paid for it. They spent 3-4 years trying to get numbers up so they could hold a solid practice.
Obviously, Cozart/Finch were not the type of kids that were willing to do what was needed to be a successful DI wrestler.

Having the Paulsons coaching other national and state teams appears to be paying dividends. They are starting to get some of those kids and have good relationships with several of the up-and-coming kids.

The big thing is it doesn't appear KJ has lost the team. Very little attrition lately and several have stepped up in support of him. There are reasons why brothers are coming to ISU (Moreno, Weatherman and Swalla). The parents are supported of the staff which tells me a lot.

Last edited:

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
For the record I am leaning towards giving KJ one more year but can see the argument for change now. But comments like the following are totally false: " ....but there is no evidence in 7 years that KJ can develop a top recruit. Ryak Finch and Joey Cozart both top 30 p4p recruits. Meeks #5 p4p. If anything, decent recruits coming in is all the more reason to make a change to get someone who could develop them. "

Every program has a subset of wrestlers they are not able to "develop" and Finch and Cozart where in the program less than 3 years so how can you use them as examples. Nice how you forget about the development of Varner (better as a Sr. then Junior), Zabriskie, Reader, Gadson, M. Moreno and G. Moreno until he got hurt two years ago. I will agree that the staff has a hard time getting freshmen and younger kids ready to compete. I think this has been the biggest learning curve for KJ. He is having to deal with 18-20 year olds and not 23-35 year old athletes. There is a big difference.

It appears to me KJ and staff over time can develop the top recruits that also have the desire to be a champion. This last part is the key and unfortunately he did not bring enough of those guys into the program in the early years and has paid for it. They spent 3-4 years trying to get numbers up so they could hold a solid practice.
Obviously, Cozart/Finch were not the type of kids that were willing to do what was needed to be a successful DI wrestler.

Having the Paulsons coaching other national and state teams appears to be paying dividends. They are starting to get some of those kids and have good relationships with several of the up-and-coming kids.

The big thing is it doesn't appear KJ has lost the team. Very little attrition lately and several have stepped up in support of him. There are reasons why brothers are coming to ISU (Moreno, Weatherman and Swalla). The parents are supported of the staff which tells me a lot.

Pretty sure Ryak Finch was in the program for three full years 10/11, 11/12, and 12/13.

My main complaint is the lack of development. His overall class rankings aren’t horrible, but they are worse when you take a deeper dive and look how they panned out. If you were to review five years later, I don’t think any of these classes would be ranked as high. 2010 would be the best, but I am not sure Moreno and Gadsen would do enough to carry the class to a 6th class ranking. 2012 would be UR for sure. I would certainly not rank 2014 in top 20 thus far.

2010 – 6[SUP]th[/SUP]

6) Iowa State

Top Recruits:
(125) #16 Ryak Finch-Safford, AZ, (157) #29 Joey Cozart-Brandon, FL, (174) #60 Michael Moreno-Urbandale, IA, (184) #65 Kyven Gadson-Waterloo, IA, (141) #98 Luke Goettl-Cottonwood, AZ, (165) #123 Mike England-Centreville, IA

Like rival Iowa, the Cyclones were hit hard by graduation in 2010 losing six starters. This group of six top 150 recruits may be pressed into duty sooner rather than later. Ryak Finch, the top 119lber in the nation, comes to Ames after winning Junior Freestyle and Greco-Roman titles last summer in Fargo. Three in-state prospects (Mike England, Michael Moreno, and Kyven Gadson) bring much needed help to the upper weights. Last but not least, is Four-Time Florida State Champ Joey Cozart, who spent his high school years wrestling for the legendary Brandon program.

Past D1CW Recruiting Rankings:
2009 NR, 2008 #8

2011 – UR

2012 – 11[SUP]th[/SUP]

11) Iowa State

Top Recruit:
(149) #2 2011 Destin McCauley-Burnsville, MN

Recruiting Class:
(133/141) #5 John Meeks-Des Moines, IA; (149) #47 Gabe Moreno-Urbandale, IA; (141) #112 Dakota Bauer-Iowa City, IA; (184) #135 Jesse Doyle-Trinity, NC; (133) #173 Kyle Larson-Des Moines, IA

After a couple of down seasons there are two huge reasons to be optimisic in Cycloneland. The first is the #2 overall recruit from last season Destin McCauley, who spent the last year training at the OTC. McCauley dominated the field this Spring en route to a FILA Junior National Freestyle Title pinning 2012 All-American Hunter Stieber and defeating 2012's top recruit Jason Tsirtsis. The second huge recruit for Iowa State is 4x undefeated Iowa HS Champion John Meeks. Gabe Moreno, like Meeks finished 6th last summer at Freestyle in Fargo. The rest of ISU's recruits have the potential to make this a special class if they develop.

2011 NR, 2010 #6, 2009 #NR, 2008 #8
2013 – UR

2014 – 12[SUP]th[/SUP]

12) Iowa State

Top Recruit:
(125) #31 Nathan Boston-Woodford, KY

Recruiting Class:
(149) #48 Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer-Cheektowaga, NY; (197) #56 Marcus Harrington-Waterloo, IA; (157) #143 Logan Brietenbach-Severn, MD; (141) UR Ryan Schuman-Colton, SD; (133) UR Dante Rodriguez-Kearney, NE

Like their Big 12 rivals above them, Iowa State will also bring in a pair of Senior National Champions in Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer and Marcus Harrington. Rodriguez-Spencer did not compete in his high school postseason but went to NHSCA's and defeated 3x California State Champ Nikko Villarreal in the finals. Harrington looks to be an adequate replacement for 2x All-American Kyven Gadson, after taking a redshirt year. Late Signee and 3x South Dakota State Champ Ryan Schuman opened some eyes earlier this year when he knocked off Junior National Champion and Iowa recruit Seth Gross.

2013 NR, 2012 #11, 2011 NR, 2010 #6, 2009 NR, 2008 #8

2015 – 23[SUP]rd[/SUP]

23) Iowa State

Top Recruit:
(133) #31 Markus Simmons--Broken Arrow, OK

Recruiting Class:
(165/174) #80 Colston DiBlasi--Kansas City, MO; (157) NR Chase Straw--Independence, IA; (174) NR Luke Entzel--Missoula, MT

2014 #12, 2013 NR, 2012 #11, 2011 NR, 2010 #6, 2009 NR, 2008 #8

There have been a number of misses throughout KJ's tenure for a variety of reasons. I don't put all of this on KJ's shoulders, but at the end of the day it is on the coaching staff. As has been mentioned, every coach at every school has misses (Iowa - Ballweg, Baldosaro, Skonieczny, Berge, and Marlin. You just hope they are minimized.

Guys I classify as complete misses: Anthony Valles, Eric Thompson, Destin McCauley, Ryak Finch, Joey Cozart, Luke Goettl, John Meeks, Dakota Bauer. I hope Harrington doesn’t fall into this category.

Unique situation / Injuries: Andrew Long (no explanation needed), Spangler (injuries), Jesse Doyle (injuries)

At the same time you need to give him credit where it is due. I believe KJ can coach top level talent. IMO the 2010 senior class (Varner, Z, Gallick, Mueller, Thorpe, and Reader-not same class but same talent level) all improved under KJ. Part of that is being a year older and I also think it was advantageous to be coached under another coach, a former top level athlete in his own right.

Apart from that group of guys, here is my list who have thrived or over performed under KJ: Andrew Sorenson, Michael Moreno, Kyven Gadson, Matt Gibson, Lelund Weatherspoon, and Pat Downey. I had higher expectations for Earl Hall, but he has low AA'd twice so I wouldn't argue including him here. I still don't think he has come close to his ceiling.

It is too early to say on a number of the guys currently on the team, but looking at the 2014 class I would say all have been underwhelming to me.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
I am very happy to see the confidence Pat has in KJ. I hope all of the wrestlers share his confidence and support. That is the most important.

What us long time ISU fans (and I use that term casually as I am only 31 years old) are disappointed with is the state of the program since our 2010 class (Thorpe, Gallick, Mueller, Varner, Z) graduated. Since then, we have had 7 All Americans. Those 7 have collectively claimed 11 AA finishes. In 6 years that is an average of 1.833 AA finishes. The fact that ISU averages less than 2 All Americans over a six year period is embarrassing, unforgivable, horrific, disappointing, etc...I would be willing to bet you can not find a worse six year stretch in the history of ISU wrestling. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Hopefully we can improve on our stronger than expected 2016 NCAA tourney and get to a point where we are all not surprised to finish with 3 All Americans and a 12th place team finish.

Hopefully both LW and PD can repeat as AA's if not finish higher. I know I am certainly excited to see what PD can do with a full year of training.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
To all the KJ haters out there....listen up at 2:30 into this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCXJAVkock

We understand that your son loves him as a coach but what you also need to realize is where us diehards wrestling fans are wanting the best for our program and the results that KJ has put up at this point isn't very supportive of that want. I will continue to support the kids that wrestle for our program but my support of KJ is over at this point.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
To all the KJ haters out there....listen up at 2:30 into this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCXJAVkock

Haters? I don't think anyone hates KJ. Doubters? Probably a more appropriate term.

And I'm the Keep KJ camp, but I can totally understand frustration from other fans. Hopefully our other wrestlers follow Pat's lead and buy in 100% to what KJ is preaching.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Baseball has potential for TV revenue? Since when.

I turned on TV this afternoon to watch the masters. I was flipping through the dial and expected a network channel or ESPN's to have a baseball game on Saturday afternoon. No chance. NBC and Fox both had European soccer. If ISU were to add a sport, soccer might make more sense as we can already leverage the women's facility and tons of kids play HS soccer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron