Should we make a change at Head wrestling Coach?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Baseball has potential for TV revenue? Since when.

I turned on TV this afternoon to watch the masters. I was flipping through the dial and expected a network channel or ESPN's to have a baseball game on Saturday afternoon. No chance. NBC and Fox both had European soccer. If ISU were to add a sport, soccer might make more sense as we can already leverage the women's facility and tons of kids play HS soccer.

If we add a men's sport we have to add a women's sport. What would that be? I know it was said to drop wrestling for baseball,but that is crazy. Let's elimate a team just outside the top ten for a team that might be .500 on good years

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Jackson is undoubtedly a great coach for Downey like he was for Reader, Varner, Zabriskie, Gadson, et al. At this point there's no doubt he can take a great wrestler and get the best out of them throughout the season and at NCAAs. I see that as a totally separate thing from what the OP asked, which was about running the overall program, including walk ons who will never see the mat outside of an open and talented but not locked in guys who have to be motivated externally.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I've been very clear about this for a couple of years and this season just reaffirmed things, yet again.

If we have to exceed expectations in order to get 12th... in year 7 then we need to move on. I know JP doesn't care and KJ is the cheap option for a sport that doesn't matter anymore. Let the contract expire and get ANYONE else. That way we aren't paying him for not working.

I was on board when he was wanting to turn us into a school where people can come and after graduating compete on a national and global level. I was ready to accept a dip in status if that was there. But we aren't pushing out free style guys who are doing much of anything after graduation.

The guys on the team did better than expected. I am positive that happened despite KJ and whatever he calls coaching at this point.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Kevin is the Ted Wheeler of ISU athletic staff. We have settled for mediocrity

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
For those who think he should be kept, what's the unacceptable finish next year? And for those who want him gone, how high of a finish next year will change your mind? I don't know enough to have a strong opinion.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
8-9 qualifiers with 4 AA and a Top 10 placement. I expect at least 3 of the incoming freshmen to show that they will be major contributors the following year. I expect us to compete better and more consistent during the season.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Agree, and I would love to have baseball back. I see the team is building something at Capp Tim field.

Senior architect class is redoing the dugouts, backstop, etc. They did it all the way from demolition to laying block, to the finish. It's been a fun and interesting project according to my relative who is working on it.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Jackson is undoubtedly a great coach for Downey like he was for Reader, Varner, Zabriskie, Gadson, et al. At this point there's no doubt he can take a great wrestler and get the best out of them throughout the season and at NCAAs. I see that as a totally separate thing from what the OP asked, which was about running the overall program, including walk ons who will never see the mat outside of an open and talented but not locked in guys who have to be motivated externally.

I'm beginning to appreciate the pride and the expectations of ISU wrestling, and I can understand the frustrations among its supporters. With that being said, I do believe there are many factors outside of a coach's control...injuries, death in families, guys getting in trouble...academically or otherwise, etc.; the list is endless. KJ can do only so much...the rest relies on the individual athlete. They are going to either apply themselves or not. These are grown young men who shouldn't have to be held by the hand and should themselves be held accountable for their performances. KJ can't wrestle their matches for them.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
If we want to restore our wrestling (& other Olympic) program, and I am, we ISU fans need to step up and at a minimum buy tickets and/ or donate; otherwise imo, firing coaches won't get it done.

This, I was in Stillwater the night of the Bedlam wresting meet this year and the place was packed.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Besides the 7 or 8 people on here does anyone really care? JP tossed this sport out when CS left for Penn State. Let's bring on Hockey and womens lacrosse - or hell womens hockey. Big 12 does not give a rat about rasslin' nor hockey but we are good at one - forget the traitor in the east and do what fans want - not some failed attempt to beat the scums in the east.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Cloneman89

Re: Another football commit.
I rode the hype train for awhile till I saw the possible line up. Most guys are from ol CPR recruits - so unless TM waved a magic wand we will look like last year. I will be ecstatic if they actually can play as a unit - however grabbing kids that CMU/Northern Illinois and Illinois State are after does not make me jump up and down. Looks like we are taking the no chancers at P5 programs and selling them like they are our steps to heaven. I do realize we are Iowa State but the hype needs to meet reality sometime and I am praying we don't become the MAC school of the Big 12. These players look like MAC fodder - granted they were better than us but that ain't saying much! Sure hope JP has his 401K stuffed to limit as this will be his last hire if things go south!

Glad to know you are not just a tool when it comes to ISU wrestling. Saw the post above after we received a FB 320 OL commitment from a kid that currently has no stars. I hope you are really not this miserable and just trolling.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Cloneman89

Re: Another football commit.
I rode the hype train for awhile till I saw the possible line up. Most guys are from ol CPR recruits - so unless TM waved a magic wand we will look like last year. I will be ecstatic if they actually can play as a unit - however grabbing kids that CMU/Northern Illinois and Illinois State are after does not make me jump up and down. Looks like we are taking the no chancers at P5 programs and selling them like they are our steps to heaven. I do realize we are Iowa State but the hype needs to meet reality sometime and I am praying we don't become the MAC school of the Big 12. These players look like MAC fodder - granted they were better than us but that ain't saying much! Sure hope JP has his 401K stuffed to limit as this will be his last hire if things go south!

Glad to know you are not just a tool when it comes to ISU wrestling. Saw the post above after we received a FB 320 OL commitment from a kid that currently has no stars. I hope you are really not this miserable and just trolling.

Wonder what the CF record for most Ignore List adds is? Buttdart89 is gonna smash it.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I don't know if Varner even wants to coach, but personality wise I see him as more of an assistant.

If we were to replace Kj, I think our first calls should be to Pat Popolizio at NC state and Jordan Burroughs. After that, I'm not sure, but a few guys on my short list would be Mark Perry, Eric Guerrero, David Taylor and Kyle Dake.

Varner returning to Ames, Iowa? He wins the NCCA title again as a senior--under Kevin Jackson. And 2 months later Varner packs his car, receives his diploma, and drives to State College, PA. to train under Cael.

And he is still there. LMAO. So much for Jackson's international coaching experience

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Varner returning to Ames, Iowa? He wins the NCCA title again as a senior--under Kevin Jackson. And 2 months later Varner packs his car, receives his diploma, and drives to State College, PA. to train under Cael.

And he is still there. LMAO. So much for Jackson's international coaching experience

Weird, can't believe he'd go train with the coach who recruited him who also happens to be an Olympic gold medalist and the greatest college wrestler of all time. Sounds like KJ's fault.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Weird, can't believe he'd go train with the coach who recruited him who also happens to be an Olympic gold medalist and the greatest college wrestler of all time. Sounds like KJ's fault.

not sure Varner would ever come back to Ames, since he couldn't wait to leave. Hell, he left the morning after graduation..... weird indeed

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
No way Varner comes back to the program. Seems to be connected at the hip to Cael. I think it might be safe to guess this was his last Olympic cycle though..He looked disinterested in the 2nd match against Snyder and looked defeated after the first period of the 3rd match. Snyder has his number and I doubt Varner has the horses to go toe to toe with him at this point.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Varner is really close to Cael and wanted to train with him. I'd imagine he probably got more money from the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club than the CWC could offer as well. Heading to Happy Valley after he graduated isn't an indication of anything more than that. There are only so many coaching positions on a staff and only so much CWC money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Varner is really close to Cael and wanted to train with him. I'd imagine he probably got more money from the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club than the CWC could offer as well. Heading to Happy Valley after he graduated isn't an indication of anything more than that. There are only so many coaching positions on a staff and only so much CWC money.

Agreed. Financially isu is in way better position than when any of this went down. PSU is pretty set on coaches unless one leaves for a head job. Another question is, can he coach? Some great athletes know it so well, they can't break things down or understand why someone just doesn't get it. I've seen it before. I hope Jake has that knack for coaching and it would be nice to have him around. While he is not as big of a name as Burroughs, he is still well known in wrestling and didn't hurt to have his own shoes.