Should we make a change at Head wrestling Coach?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
My response... Can you achieve more without devoting more resources to it? If you think so, then yes. Replace him. If it would take more money, then no. Any additional money would be better spent if given to Campbell and Prohm.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
I thought JP extended KJ last year?

I was a Soph, crashing at 507 Welch at the time we won the NT in 87. I remember listening to results on KCCQ. When we won, it was awesome. We bought kegs, did 3 in a row through Monday night, completed the Triple Lindy.

Results have not been what we what or expect, but it seems like the tide is turning. Kyven winning was awesome!

I think the class coming is a good one and we should keep KJ, but I refer to Judoka and Buff as they are our go to guys when it comes to WR.

Jfinley

Dec 1, 2015
Sanderson did not win a championship at ISU, but wins everything at Penn State.
Maybe it's how ISU wrestling is supported by the AD or Adim? I would give KJ two years tops then let him go if not a huge improvement! Hire Varner? It will be a merry go round of coaches, like football if poor support!

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I don't know if Varner even wants to coach, but personality wise I see him as more of an assistant.

If we were to replace Kj, I think our first calls should be to Pat Popolizio at NC state and Jordan Burroughs. After that, I'm not sure, but a few guys on my short list would be Mark Perry, Eric Guerrero, David Taylor and Kyle Dake.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
David Taylor would be awesome but give it a few years because I believe he has Olympics on the mind for now.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
How's that different from wrestling?

I mean if our expectations are national championships, we ******* suck. At least with college baseball it's a growing TV market and would be super valuable to a future conference network

We finished 12th out of 79 div I schools, which puts us in the top 15% percentile. Are we happpy with 12th? Nope, but we certainly don't suck.

I wish we had baseball too, but your frustration is misplaced.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
We finished 12th out of 79 div I schools, which puts us in the top 15% percentile. Are we happpy with 12th? Nope, but we certainly don't suck.

I wish we had baseball too, but your frustration is misplaced.

Not really. 79 wrestling programs is way down from 10 years ago. How many will last another 10 years? 20 years? 30? At least baseball has staying power and the potential for TV revenue. Wrestling will never earn a significant amount from TV.

And our goal at ISU is 1st place, not 12th. If we can no longer achieve that, which we have not done in like 30 years, then it's time to call it quits.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Not really. 79 wrestling programs is way down from 10 years ago. How many will last another 10 years? 20 years? 30? At least baseball has staying power and the potential for TV revenue. Wrestling will never earn a significant amount from TV.

And our goal at ISU is 1st place, not 12th. If we can no longer achieve that, which we have not done in like 30 years, then it's time to call it quits.

So get rid of basketball too? Or is first place not our goal in basketball?

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I thought JP extended KJ last year?

I was a Soph, crashing at 507 Welch at the time we won the NT in 87. I remember listening to results on KCCQ. When we won, it was awesome. We bought kegs, did 3 in a row through Monday night, completed the Triple Lindy.

Results have not been what we what or expect, but it seems like the tide is turning. Kyven winning was awesome!

I think the class coming is a good one and we should keep KJ, but I refer to Judoka and Buff as they are our go to guys when it comes to WR.
I lived at 507 welch 12-13. Lots of great memories. But omg.. that place was a hole. Probably in better condition in your day.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Wrestling is cheaper to maintain than baseball. The revenue is negligible for baseball. Overall, wrestling is cheaper to keep.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
If we want to restore our wrestling (& other Olympic) program, and I am, we ISU fans need to step up and at a minimum buy tickets and/ or donate; otherwise imo, firing coaches won't get it done.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
How's that different from wrestling?

I mean if our expectations are national championships, we ******* suck. At least with college baseball it's a growing TV market and would be super valuable to a future conference network

Dude, just stop. ISU baseball sucked and deserved to die.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I've been in the camp who wanted to make a change for a few years now. However, at this current juncture I'm willing to give it another couple of years.

1) Yes, we should finish higher at Nationals, but the way the guys wrestled and the fight they showed was something we haven't seen for a long time. If we could please carry this through the season so it's the norm rather than the exception it would go a long way. Maybe we proved to KJ and the guys that we actually can get out from underneath if we actually try.
2) This is the first time I can remember that we have had several ranked recruits coming in...and have been linked to several more. We still have a problem spacing them out weight wise, so I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out with future lineups, but I'm just happy they will be in the room. Now will they turn out to be a Gadsen, or a Cosart?
3) I'm not sure who is out there that would be an improvement AND not result in completely starting over. As someone else suggested, perhaps a couple of years when Taylor or Dake are done competing, we take a run at them?

I've also heard the complaints about lack of AD support. If that is an issue, then it needs to be rectified. This program is one of the few if not the only one that has a real national tradition behind it and shouldn't be left to whither on the vine. I do 'feel' like this is the case, however, I wonder what specifically needs to be done to improve AD support? If I'm not mistaken we have a new wrestling room, right? Training facilities are on par with other elite programs, no? KJ's contract has been extended (maybe multiple times) without the results to back it up. What more do we want from Jamie? That's an open question, because I'm honestly not sure.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If we want to restore our wrestling (& other Olympic) program, and I am, we ISU fans need to step up and at a minimum buy tickets and/ or donate; otherwise imo, firing coaches won't get it done.

You are correct but you need to realize that there are a lot of club members that aren't happy with what KJ is producing. I know for a fact that one of the biggest donors ($5000+) is decreasing donating to 100 because he isn't happy. Still buys tickets but isn't going to support a guy that he isn't happy with. I have the email from the guy that was suguesting everyone that isnt pleased, to email Pollard as he did.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I have had an excel document for a few years documenting the team finishes over the years like the OP

attachment.php

There are been a trend since the mid 1970s of the team finishes not being as high or as consistent. You can also see that the lows have gotten lower and lower over time. I do think that there are both internal and external factors to why we are seeing this trend.

Attachments

• TeamFinishesSince1964.jpg
    TeamFinishesSince1964.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 404