MLB: ***Official 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Dh says rizzo is better at twerking than i. he's not wrong. also, if you find a gif, fowler looks like he's going to poop on her

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I guessing Bryant didn't want to do it it. I was really surprised when he didn't talk at the Rally on Friday after the Parade.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Jason Hammel gone. I'm on board with the move, there just isn't much sense to have a guy on your payroll when you know for a fact that he can't help you in October, especially when this team could probably make the playoffs with me as the 5th starter. Montgomery to the rotation now I'd imagine.

Wish Hammel the best though, he will definitely be a nice addition for another team next season, and by all accounts he seemed like a really good guy.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Jason Hammel gone. I'm on board with the move, there just isn't much sense to have a guy on your payroll when you know for a fact that he can't help you in October, especially when this team could probably make the playoffs with me as the 5th starter. Montgomery to the rotation now I'd imagine.

Wish Hammel the best though, he will definitely be a nice addition for another team next season, and by all accounts he seemed like a really good guy.

Wow, that's real surprising and doesn't seem to make much sense to me. No team uses five starting pitchers in the postseason, so by your logic no team would pay a fifth starter during the regular season?

The Cubs have very little starting pitching depth, Zastrysny is far from a sure thing and with Wood and Cahill leaving they are definitely going to have bolster their starting pitching depth. I would have thought they would have picked up his option and traded him if they weren't planning on using him this year at least.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Wow, that's real surprising and doesn't seem to make much sense to me. No team uses five starting pitchers in the postseason, so by your logic no team would pay a fifth starter during the regular season?

The Cubs have very little starting pitching depth, Zastrysny is far from a sure thing and with Wood and Cahill leaving they are definitely going to have bolster their starting pitching depth. I would have thought they would have picked up his option and traded him if they weren't planning on using him this year at least.

I would add if you are the fifth starter, and then not good enough to be in the pen when the manager doesn't trust most of those already there. Then you should probably go elsewhere.

Reactions: cyclonenation5

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

This. Outright declining his option does not seem smart when you could of traded him for something decent. Hard to ignore his good he was when he was on this season.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I would add if you are the fifth starter, and then not good enough to be in the pen when the manager doesn't trust most of those already there. Then you should probably go elsewhere.

Not having your fifth starter on your playoff roster is common, I mean most teams cut the bullpen to load up extra position players for the playoffs. So you would suggest all fifth starters should move on?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
This. Outright declining his option does not seem smart when you could of traded him for something decent. Hard to ignore his good he was when he was on this season.

He's probably the second best starting pitching option on the market now after Rich Hill.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just had a conversation with my cousin (who lives in Chicago), and he is convinced there is something wrong with Hammel's elbow. That about the only way this makes sense...

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

I'm not saying that no team should pay a fifth starter during the regular season. Hell, Hendricks was our fifth starter at the beginning of this year. I'm saying I'm fine with this move because Hammel has proven time and time again that he is not going to be effective late in the season.

Obviously you have to have five starters to ease their workloads. But I'm not on board for paying a guy good money that you literally know will not be good enough to help you in October, and instead paying less for a guy who won't be much of a downgrade in the regular season, and then is able to help you out of the bullpen in the playoffs. Montgomery may or may not be good enough to be a factor in October after a full season of starting, but at least there is a chance that he is, whereas with Hammel there is not.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm not saying that no team should pay a fifth starter during the regular season. Hell, Hendricks was our fifth starter at the beginning of this year. I'm saying I'm fine with this move because Hammel has proven time and time again that he is not going to be effective late in the season.

Obviously you have to have five starters to ease their workloads. But I'm not on board for paying a guy good money that you literally know will not be good enough to help you in October, and instead paying less for a guy who won't be much of a downgrade in the regular season, and then is able to help you out of the bullpen in the playoffs. Montgomery may or may not be good enough to be a factor in October after a full season of starting, but at least there is a chance that he is, whereas with Hammel there is not.

I agree with this. However, in a offseason where starting pitching FA depth is horrid, you DO NOT let him walk.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I agree with this. However, in a offseason where starting pitching FA depth is horrid, you DO NOT let him walk.

I guess we'll see how it works out, and I can see both sides, but I'm honestly surprised that so many people are against this move.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Theo has always been a players first guy.

I wouldn't be shocked if Hammel asked to be released thinking he can make more money in free agency and Theo granted it.

That being said, MLB Trade Rumors recently came out with a Cub-related article in which it discussed how bad (and its bad) the Cubs pitching situation is after next year.

I like the idea of Montgomery taking a starting role - he can pitch.

I also have a feeling the Cubs will take a run at a young starting pitcher and give up 2-3 top prospects for him.

I could also see the Cubs try and trade Soler and maybe one top prospect for Sunny Gray. A's were willing to trade him but demanded too much - ended up having a God awful year this year.