NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
While looking at the cap stuff on this, I wandered over to the Bulls...

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/yearly/cap/

That is not as bad as I thought for a rebuild going forward, actually.

Wade and Butler are the only expensive pieces. Wade is only under contract for next season, and, actually, given his production and "mentorship" to young players, is maybe worth having around for that price before a hard decline in production comes with age. They have to spend their cap on something next season, so I do not see why not "Uncle Wade" to help the locker room.

Butler is a stud, so obviously worth having as long as possible.

Looks like they can cut Rondo -- nothing is guaranteed. Bet that is happening.

Robin Lopez is more of an "eh," but after that, they have a ton of young talent that is there on the cheap and under their control for 1-3 more years.

Assuming they ditch Rondo, which is not hard to do, they have space to reload at that point, assuming anybody wants to come there to play with Jimmy and Old Man Wade.

So they did not screw the potential for a youth movement really more than one year, which I guess is good. Some teams have awful caps for a few years into the future.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Wow, what a garbage return for Cousins. A bunch of guys, and a mid 1st round pick. That's the best they can do? They really couldn't get Boston to throw the Nets 2018 pick and Smart or Bradley and a couple other rotation pieces together for Cousins? The Suns wouldn't flip Bledsoe and one of their young front court guys for Boogie? The Kings couldn't figure out how to use McLemore or Stauskas and now they've got another guy very much in the same mold as Hield, Galloway was in the D-League just two years ago, Tyreke Evans is nothing more than a rotation guy on a really good team. Must be a depressing morning to be a Kings fan, but I guess every day has probably been that way since the Webber-Peja-Bibby teams broke up.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Wow, what a garbage return for Cousins. A bunch of guys, and a mid 1st round pick. That's the best they can do? They really couldn't get Boston to throw the Nets 2018 pick and Smart or Bradley and a couple other rotation pieces together for Cousins? The Suns wouldn't flip Bledsoe and one of their young front court guys for Boogie? The Kings couldn't figure out how to use McLemore or Stauskas and now they've got another guy very much in the same mold as Hield, Galloway was in the D-League just two years ago, Tyreke Evans is nothing more than a rotation guy on a really good team. Must be a depressing morning to be a Kings fan, but I guess every day has probably been that way since the Webber-Peja-Bibby teams broke up.
The Kings are the worst ran franchise in all of sports.

If the Pelicans can get a decent free agent this offseason they will be very dangerous. I don't see them doing a lot the rest of the season. They have no good SG or SF

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yeah, it's a little bit of a gamble for the Pelicans just because he's such a volatile player and who knows if he'll have any interest in signing a long term extension with New Orleans. And Anthony Davis has a lengthy injury history. If he goes down, Boogie is back in the same situation he was in Sacramento, surrounded by a mediocre supporting cast.

But it was probably easier to go for it knowing how little they were giving up. I can't believe this was the best the Kings could do for a guy who's arguably the best center in the league when his head is on straight.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Kings are the worst ran franchise in all of sports.

If the Pelicans can get a decent free agent this offseason they will be very dangerous. I don't see them doing a lot the rest of the season. They have no good SG or SF

I like that they're going against the grain with a supersized front court. If they can sneak into that eight spot into the West this year they'd be an interesting challenge for Golden State. I don't think that series would go more than five games, but styles make fights. With two talented seven footers they could give the Lineup of Death fits down low.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yeah, it's a little bit of a gamble for the Pelicans just because he's such a volatile player and who knows if he'll have any interest in signing a long term extension with New Orleans. And Anthony Davis has a lengthy injury history. If he goes down, Boogie is back in the same situation he was in Sacramento, surrounded by a mediocre supporting cast.

But it was probably easier to go for it knowing how little they were giving up. I can't believe this was the best the Kings could do for a guy who's arguably the best center in the league when his head is on straight.

I don't even think that this trade is going to make New Orleans a serious contender in the West. There's a ton of redundancy between the two guys and like you said there's concerns about Boogie's make up. But if you're asking me to give up Evans, Hield, and Galloway plus a mid first round pick, I wouldn't even think twice on it. Worst case scenario, they just can't make it work this year and don't want to pay Cousins a max deal they could flip him this summer and get more of a return for him than the Kings did. That's the downside of this trade, the upside is they now have two of the ten best players in the league and if they figure it out, are going to be hell to match up with offensively.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't even think that this trade is going to make New Orleans a serious contender in the West. There's a ton of redundancy between the two guys and like you said there's concerns about Boogie's make up. But if you're asking me to give up Evans, Hield, and Galloway plus a mid first round pick, I wouldn't even think twice on it. Worst case scenario, they just can't make it work this year and don't want to pay Cousins a max deal they could flip him this summer and get more of a return for him than the Kings did. That's the downside of this trade, the upside is they now have two of the ten best players in the league and if they figure it out, are going to be hell to match up with offensively.

Yeah, I don't think it makes them serious contenders. Best case scenario for this year is that they sneak into the playoffs and bow out after they give the Warriors a good warmup in the first round. But at least it shows that they're serious about giving Davis some help. Paul George would have been a more logical get for New Orleans but at this point it doesn't look like Larry Bird is letting him go, at least not for a **** sandwich like the Kings just did with Boogie. Vlade should have been fired on the spot for making this trade.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
While looking at the cap stuff on this, I wandered over to the Bulls...

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/yearly/cap/

That is not as bad as I thought for a rebuild going forward, actually.

Wade and Butler are the only expensive pieces. Wade is only under contract for next season, and, actually, given his production and "mentorship" to young players, is maybe worth having around for that price before a hard decline in production comes with age. They have to spend their cap on something next season, so I do not see why not "Uncle Wade" to help the locker room.

Butler is a stud, so obviously worth having as long as possible.

Looks like they can cut Rondo -- nothing is guaranteed. Bet that is happening.

Robin Lopez is more of an "eh," but after that, they have a ton of young talent that is there on the cheap and under their control for 1-3 more years.

Assuming they ditch Rondo, which is not hard to do, they have space to reload at that point, assuming anybody wants to come there to play with Jimmy and Old Man Wade.

So they did not screw the potential for a youth movement really more than one year, which I guess is good. Some teams have awful caps for a few years into the future.

One, I don't think Butler is the solution long term. They should get as many picks as they can for him. Celtics make the most sense.
Two, they don't have a ton of young talent.
Three, Chicago does not have a history of attracting top free agent talent.

They need to get new management and do a complete rebuild. i am not at all confident in the managements ability to draft well.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Vlade should have been fired on the spot for making this trade.
First off, never talk crap about Vlade or I will cut you (jk). Watch the press conference, Vlade seems as upset as the fans even to go as far as to tell reporters that he had a deal much better 2 days ago. Apparently the Kings owner is obsessed with Buddy and thinks he is the next steph curry. Kings insiders even said his obsession with Hield is "unhealthy". Vlade looked extremely defeated in the presser.

Apparently lakers are in talks with the bulls about a trade for Butler, apparently it doesn't include any of the young core 3. But does include williams and young. Im a lakers fan and I think Jimmy Butler is a joke so Im hoping this doesnt go off. Lakers exited trade talks when the kings insisted they include ingram

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
First off, never talk crap about Vlade or I will cut you (jk). Watch the press conference, Vlade seems as upset as the fans even to go as far as to tell reporters that he had a deal much better 2 days ago. Apparently the Kings owner is obsessed with Buddy and thinks he is the next steph curry. Kings insiders even said his obsession with Hield is "unhealthy". Vlade looked extremely defeated in the presser.

Apparently lakers are in talks with the bulls about a trade for Butler, apparently it doesn't include any of the young core 3. But does include williams and young. Im a lakers fan and I think Jimmy Butler is a joke so Im hoping this doesnt go off. Lakers exited trade talks when the kings insisted they include ingram

Butler for Lou Williams and Nick Young? First this trade sounds like some Laker fan fiction, but second, you would turn that down? Lol

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
One, I don't think Butler is the solution long term. They should get as many picks as they can for him. Celtics make the most sense.
Two, they don't have a ton of young talent.
Three, Chicago does not have a history of attracting top free agent talent.

They need to get new management and do a complete rebuild. i am not at all confident in the managements ability to draft well.

That's pretty much where the Bulls are as an organization at this point. The biggest source of hope for Bulls fans is just that hey we don't have a lot of guys under contract going forward. I'm sure free agents will line up to join the McDermott, Lopez, Portis core.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think it is funny that Stephen A. Smith said the Celtics should trade for Anthony not Butler. God he is dumb.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ic-johnson-charge-fire-mitch-kupchak-jim-buss

Huh. Should be interesting. I wonder if they'll continue to be patient and try to build around their young players or make a play for Butler or PG before the deadline. Magic Johnson is a huge Paul George fan, and George is from LA.

Magic did suggest the Lakers should try to sign Durant and LeBron this past summer. If they had followed his advice, instead of signing Mozgov and Deng, they would be a much better team.

• Funny
Reactions: jbindm