Seemingly never ending Iowa MBB thread (still going.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I agree. 14/15 PPG and 8 RPG seems about right for Cook.

Jordan will be at 10 PPG again

Pemsl will be at 10+ PPG as well

Baer/Moss one of them will also average 10PPG with the other about 8 PPG

The future is super bright for this team!

The thing you guys aren't realizing is that this Iowa team doesn't exist in a bubble. Alot of my Iowa friends think that because they have all young players in the NIT that by the time they are seniors they will be in the Final Four.

I'll just save you the disappointment now and tell you it doesn't work like that. The Big 10 is so down this year that you cant expect it to be this bad forever. Another thing you guys are missing is that these other teams are going to add more talented players around Iowa.

Teams like Michigan State, Indiana, and Ohio State were historically bad this year. Then you have up and coming programs like Minnesota and Northwestern to compete with now. I think you guys are completely overestimating how high of ceilings alot of these guys have.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You gonna bet Iowa or TCU? I have only seen parts of a few TCU games, but wasn't impressed. Now I didn't catch the Kansas win so I'm sure I would have been impressed with that game, but they followed it up with a turd vs ISU that I watched some of.

Not going to touch that one, just knew South Dakota was really bad so bet Iowa

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What is so funny about saying that LSU is a better job than ISU? Louisiana puts a lot of local players into the NBA and they are the only Power 5 school in the state. If you can recruit Louisiana and keep those players home, you could build a powerhouse just like Saban did with the football program.

Louisiana has 11 NBA players and Iowa has 2.

ISU is a better job than LSU. Don't be an idiot

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
ISU is a better job than LSU. Don't be an idiot

Back it up then. I think with the right coach, LSU could turn into a powerhouse.

And I'm not saying ISU is a bad job. Just think that LSU is a sleeping giant much like their football program was before Saban.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I agree. 14/15 PPG and 8 RPG seems about right for Cook.

Jordan will be at 10 PPG again

Pemsl will be at 10+ PPG as well

Baer/Moss one of them will also average 10PPG with the other about 8 PPG

The future is super bright for this team!

I guess I just don't understand how you believe you can remove the defensive focus that jok is, and that has allowed the other players to get opportunities because the other team won't let him beat you, and think that these guys are going to magically improve. Add that Fran does not have the best track record, and it becomes even more dicey. Then realize that the PG position is still a questIon mark, and there is another hurdle.

They may be better, but to automatically assume that a group of role players are going to flourish is a leap of faith.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
52.2 eFG% for Bohannon which is only 0.2% lower than Monte's eFG% this year.

That is great for a freshman.

Monte played against good teams and was the focus of team's defenses. Bohannon gets the opposing teams worst perimeter defender and mostly shoots open shots from what I've seen

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
O
Back it up then. I think with the right coach, LSU could turn into a powerhouse.

And I'm not saying ISU is a bad job. Just think that LSU is a sleeping giant much like their football program was before Saban.

When Iowa State played in Orlando, Katz mentioned in a cut away that the appeal for taking the Iowa State job was because it was a basketball school without a huge shadow cast over by the football program. It was a factor in the jobs he actually looked at. It was also why he didn't really pursue Alabama.

Now his family is from the south, that may be a factor, but not because it's a better job. The fan support is tepid, and basketball is the season between football and baseball.

You guys must really be worried. Funny

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Monte played against good teams and was the focus of team's defenses. Bohannon gets the opposing teams worst perimeter defender and mostly shoots open shots from what I've seen

I think Bohannon would do well in a Phil Forte role. Problem is you need an athletic pg able to drive and draw defenders.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think Bohannon would do well in a Phil Forte role. Problem is you need an athletic pg able to drive and draw defenders.

Forte is a lot more athletic than Bohannon but I agree that's probably a better role for him. Problem is he wouldn't be able to defend a 2

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
How does this "predictor" work? Because just based off the statistics given there, you'd think TCU would be favored by 4 or 5 at least. They lead Iowa in every one of the stats given. Is it all because Iowa is at home? Or is it simply a phone in poll or something?
If it were on a neutral court TCU would be favored and if TCU was at home they'd be favored by a lot.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Forte is a lot more athletic than Bohannon but I agree that's probably a better role for him. Problem is he wouldn't be able to defend a 2

You are going to hide him on defense at this level regardless. You have a better chance of hiding him when he's not the primary ball handler.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't think he would either, but I think LSU would be the better job myself if the pay was even.

Yeah, it all depends on what you call a better job? ISU is usually the better team year in and year out. Yes, occasionally LSU gets a superstar level player, but they still aren't very good most years. ISU was 16th in the nation last year in attendance, and LSU was 35th. At ISU, men's basketball is the best program they have going currently, where at LSU men's basketball is 3rd at best, behind football and baseball.

So if pay is equal, as you say, where you'd actually be making a lot more living in Ames versus Baton Rouge, the only thing that might be more attractive about LSU would be the weather maybe? Although summers in Baton Rouge are awful I hear.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

But for a freshman PG that is bad, according to you, to be almost as good of a shooter as ISU's best PG in school history as a senior is outstanding.

Reactions: breck53
Status
Not open for further replies.