Joel Lanning is the Mike Linebacker

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This is a good thing. Joel will be just fine at LB. We lost our top 3 MLB if you include Jordan Harris. Not worried.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
the two Mike linebackers we had on our depth chart, Kane Seeley and Brian Mills, are no longer on the team

I missed the Brian Mills thing. When did that happen and why's he gone?

Also. I wonder if Lanning will still have an offensive package that he runs.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

urkel_puzzled_excited.gif

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
I think this has a lot to say about how confident they are in Zeb at being the back up QB. Joel will be very good at LB. Honestly, that is the position where I thought he was originally recruited for. Still think you see him on offense in short yardage situations also!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's got the speed, size and toughness to be good. Should also have a great understanding of how offenses work and look as they are executing plays too.

Would be funny if he picks the play Tecmo-style in the spring game.

Gonna miss his interjections and energy at QB but the hope is MC has a good feel for what fits best and there's success from this.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't get the concern, from what we know about Joel, he's already an upgrade athletically over the guys we've had play MLB the last few years, he's as competitive a guy as we have on the team and he plays as physical as anyone on the team. Glad he's killing it at LB but I think not having him in the running game will hurt this offense.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Something people either forget or didn't know is that Joel was offered a scholarship to play LB at Nebraska. Say what you will about them, but they don't just offer whoever. So, Joel making the switch and taking over the reigns isn't really all that surprising.

The kid is a talented bruiser. I would guess his work ethic and determination got him this role above all others.

• Agree
Reactions: Stewo

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Does anyone know if another quarterback has done this before? College or NFL?

Sage Rosenfel's backup QB switched to LB for senior year and was one of the top tacklers on that Iowa State team. Can't remember his name.