Joel Lanning is the Mike Linebacker

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't get the concern, from what we know about Joel, he's already an upgrade athletically over the guys we've had play MLB the last few years, he's as competitive a guy as we have on the team and he plays as physical as anyone on the team. Glad he's killing it at LB but I think not having him in the running game will hurt this offense.

Are you new here? Lol. Everything that isn't done by the Big Ten playbook is concerning to most people on this site in football or basketball. Years of our fans perceiving that we're a kicked dog that should only aspire to be like Iowa has caused this.

Reactions: heitclone

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
I don't get the concern, from what we know about Joel, he's already an upgrade athletically over the guys we've had play MLB the last few years, he's as competitive a guy as we have on the team and he plays as physical as anyone on the team. Glad he's killing it at LB but I think not having him in the running game will hurt this offense.
I don't know how smart he is, but I feel like Harris struggled with the mental aspect. Freak athlete though. Kane is smart and athletic, but Lanning is faster. So it's almost a combination of our last 2 Mike LB's. Kudos to him for being team first and wanting to find a spot to play. I like the move.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
That's awesome. With Joel's athletic ability and his knowledge of the game I can see how he would adapt to many of the drills quickly. It will be interesting to see how he performs in scrimmages and in the spring game. I think the physical nature of every play at LB will be an adjustment for him, but it is only spring and he has the chance to get a ton of reps if he is with the #1s.

This change for Joel is not that much different than what DeShaunte Jones did last year and that turned out well. He was a QB in HS and made the switch to WR look pretty easy. Joel has the benefit of spring camp.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Here's our second string QB. No, that's not a linemen. He's substantially bigger than I thought.

That's what I thought. I was trying to figure out what young OL was in the pic. Looks the part of QB as a Redshirt Freshman.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
This is literally like High school. Anyone on here that is defending this is blind. Oklahoma has to be dying laughing right now.

Obviously, you know better than the coaching staff. And why would anyone associated with OU football care about ISU football? We're not even a blip on their radar.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This is literally like High school. Anyone on here that is defending this is blind. Oklahoma has to be dying laughing right now.

Who gives a flying **** what Oklahoma thinks? It's not like he's playing over a bunch of young guys who could be better. We need help a linebacker. If he provides any help then it's better than nothing.

Stuff like this happens when you are rebuilding a team.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
You think a guy that hasn't played a position since middle school and is now your starting LB on a big 12 football team is a great move? Hello 20 dudes who have never played football. Your rationale for him having knowledge of offenses and will be smooth transition is laughable. This is straight up embarrassing for everyone involved. Joel should transfer. You don't have on 1 linebacker recruit who is better than your starting QB? Thats bad.

I'm trying to figure out if you think this is the current staff's fault or not. Depending on how you answer that question, I'll know if you're a troll or not.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You think a guy that hasn't played a position since middle school and is now your starting LB on a big 12 football team is a great move? Hello 20 dudes who have never played football. Your rationale for him having knowledge of offenses and will be smooth transition is laughable. This is straight up embarrassing for everyone involved. Joel should transfer. You don't have on 1 linebacker recruit who is better than your starting QB? Thats bad.

This just in. You don't know more about football than the ISU football staff.

Is this an ideal situation? **** no.

Are they likely doing everything they can to get guys ready to play at Mike linebacker for next year? **** yes.

******** about how embarrassing it is on the internet doesn't help the situation one bit.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I was a LB at ISU when Stevie Johnson, a basketball forward, and Derrick Walker, a QB, converted to LB's and helped our team win it's 1st bowl game in history. So yeah I look at Lanning and see how it can and has worked in the past.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Got to be the most embarrassing thing I have ever heard. Past QB for 2 years is now starting LB? Sounds like a high school. Im sure other teams in the Big 12 are laughing.

Trolling. It's not for everyone.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
From what I was reading earlier, they (coaching staff) have said they will still include him on some offensive packages.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

The only one who should be embarrassed here is you.

If I had to put money on it, I would bet that Joel will surprise people this year with how well he plays LB. According to a couple conversations I have had with people who would know significantly more than you, he's one of the best athletes on the team and has been tearing up LB drills in spring ball. The guy is a competitor who knows how to make plays. He will be just fine.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I was a LB at ISU when Stevie Johnson, a basketball forward, and Derek Walker, a QB, converted to LB's and helped our team win it's 1st bowl game in history. So yeah I look at Lanning and see how it can and has worked in the past.
izcOK4m.gif

End of thread. Game over.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What year did you graduate? I was at ISU in 2006 and roomed with a former backup QB for ISU. We both just texted each other and are in shock and embarrassed.

Then you and your roommate are both tools. Curt is a known commodity on this site. I'll take his word over yours any day of the week and twice on any given Saturday.
If you don't know then your ass better call somebody.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er