Joel Lanning is the Mike Linebacker

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I could see him him as holder/surprise QB

First LB Holder since Schmidgall. Schmidgall as holder was clutch since he had the speed to chase down a returner on a kick block once.

Lanning as MLB/PR would be hilarious.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Anybody freaking out about this did not watch our defense closely last year. Case in point: Baylor game where they ran on us at will. This is a major upgrade to a very critical position. If the d line comes together around the JUCOs and the other young talent, the 2017 defense may actually be pretty good at stuffing the run.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I think this is probably a combination of not having great LB's and Lanning being a really good athlete. I don't know how this will turn out, but I'm excited to see him play there. I mean, he can't be worse than what we had last year, right? (hoping)

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
What would concern you more?:
- Having your starting quarterback switch and be the starter at MLB
- Or, having your starting MLB switch sides and be your starting QB

I'd be more concerned with the 2nd.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Gotta say, with someone like Joel that's played (counting his RS season) 4 years of college QB and it was part of his job to study defenses, I can't say that I'm at all concerned.
I am. First steps for Mikes are important. Reading an offensive lineman is not the same as reading a defense. He isnt entirely behind the 8 ball because of his QB training, but he doesnt have 4 years of learning to read offenses heading into his 5th year.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I am not worried at all. Back to ancient history................ My son was a d-end as a redshirt. They asked him if fullback/te was something he would consider. He said sure. Best move that could of been made by the team He would of played allot for 3 years rotating in on the d line, but his size, strength and blocking ability made the offense run game just that much better. He instead played that position full time for four years with the role increasing as he became used to it and they found ways to use him. Heck, they even had a trick play with him in the main role. This offense was better due to them using his skills etc in the best way possible for the team.

That being said, I think it's a great idea. Players pick their school partly on the basis if they believe they will get a real shot to succeed. I'm confident Joel feels this way and he should have the right to earn the starting spot at any position his body type is suited. Plain and simple!

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I don't get the concern, from what we know about Joel, he's already an upgrade athletically over the guys we've had play MLB the last few years, he's as competitive a guy as we have on the team and he plays as physical as anyone on the team. Glad he's killing it at LB but I think not having him in the running game will hurt this offense.
Its the mental part I think people are concerned with. At least me. Physically yeah he will be fine, speed, grit, etc. But the time he didnt spend practicing technique and reading schemes from that side of the ball is concerning. However good he ends up being at Mike, he wouldve been better with those 4 years.

Reactions: heitclone

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Also, I would imagine that the other lbers will pick up their game like a certain running back did and improve quicker.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Watching his interview he made some great points about why he has had success at LB. Reading your keys as a QB isn't much different than reading keys for a LB. As the MIKE, he has to set the defense which is key for putting the defense in the position to be successful.

The kid has had 3 different coordinators/playbooks as QB so understanding concepts should come easy.

Biggest concern I see is him getting the reps required to not have to think about what he needs to do, rather react to the situation.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I imagine it's a combination of things. Personally, I like the idea of Park having the job as "his own". Maybe a few gadget plays for Joel as QB, but otherwise he wouldn't have to worry about being replaced, or losing momentum if Joel comes in for a few series here and there. On the flip side, Joel is too good of an athlete to sit and hold a clipboard. You've got to find a way to get him on the field. He's built like an LB, and we have a need at LB, so what the hell?

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Its the mental part I think people are concerned with. At least me. Physically yeah he will be fine, speed, grit, etc. But the time he didnt spend practicing technique and reading schemes from that side of the ball is concerning. However good he ends up being at Mike, he wouldve been better with those 4 years.

I appreciate his contributions at QB, but this is where my mind immediately went. If he is good enough to move over to LB, start right away, and have any success at all, he may have been an All-American and NFL player if he started there out of the gate.

Reactions: dinger