RECRUITING: Elijah Brown to Oregon

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Zags are a very respectable team and totally understand Elijah going to play for Few. I'd still argue that if he wants to best enhance his pro prospects ISU is a better fit. Much easier to get scouts to evaluate your game playing against KU/OU/WV's rather than St.Mary's/Pacific/SFU. Also an underrated selling point is Prohm's development of PG and getting them into the NBA. Few doesn't have that track record.

I'm looking at Gonzaga's draft history and they haven't had a G drafted since 2004.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/West-Coast-Conference/11/Gonzaga/332/nba-draft

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I guess I considered Louisville and Arizona blue bloods
Of course blue blood status is somewhat subjective but the most recognized are: Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA.

While Louisville and Arizona are very successful, zona didn't get to this level till the 70s and haven't won as many titles or final fours like coach K. Louisville isn't in top 10 of most wins which I believe should be a category for blue blood status. That could and probably will change in the future though.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I wonder why Gonzaga is considered the favorite? I wonder if Few and Mike Brown know each other well or something or if there is some other connection? You think playing in the Pac 12 for Oregon or Big 12 for ISU would be much more appealing.

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
You would have to think that his draft stock would come closer to his possible ceiling with ISU, playing against other NBA prospects in the B12. One would think that Williams-Goss would have a better chance to go higher in the draft (around 40 to 50 in prospect boards now) if he had played for a P5 school

• Disagree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Jjjohn

Jul 9, 2015
Great to hear about Juiston wanting to play for a winning program. If that is one of his biggest deciders then I have no reason to doubt him picking ISU over UNLV, DePaul, even URI. Coaching connection is huge too.

As far as Elijah Brown I'm a bit more worried given who we're going up against. Hoping we get lucky again with Gonzaga like we did with Oregon and his grad transfer status

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You would have to think that his draft stock would come closer to his possible ceiling with ISU, playing against other NBA prospects in the B12. One would think that Williams-Goss would have a better chance to go higher in the draft (around 40 to 50 in prospect boards now) if he had played for a P5 school

I dont think this means much, if anything at all. NBA scouts/GM's will find talented players if they are playing at the North Pole.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I dont think this means much, if anything at all. NBA scouts/GM's will find talented players if they are playing at the North Pole.

I think it does. While Elijah's game is already know by Scouts playing against MWC completion I would assume if he had similar success in ha P5 league like the Big 12/PAC12 would improve his draft position. Plus I doubt major decision makers will go to Gonzaga vs San Fransico or the WCC tourney games to personally evaluate prospects as opposed to ISU vs KU or Oregon vs UCLA and those conference tourneys (not to mention flipping channels on a Saturday is more likely just to be seen). A conference may make a difference for a player to get drafted or not but it can be the difference in 1st or 2nd round potential.
Elijah may not be as concerned with pro potential as location, relationships, style or play or role but it is likely a factor if not a major one.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree I think he ends up with Gonzaga. Stays out on the west coast where his dad is an assistant with Golden state. I read that Mark Few went to a Warriors Practice to talk to his dad.

Spokane is almost 1,000 miles from San Francisco. That's like saying a player from Houston, TX would choose Iowa State to be closer to his family. He's only going to be at his next destination for 9-10 months anyway. I don't think location plays a very big role.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Looks like the Zags recruited him out of highschool so that must be the connection and why some might think they are the favorite. I think that is along time ago and that shouldn't make them the favorite. He is basically looking for the best landing spot in his one year. I really think this one will just come down to his relationship with the coach, the offense, and if the team will win next year.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
I think it does. While Elijah's game is already know by Scouts playing against MWC completion I would assume if he had similar success in ha P5 league like the Big 12/PAC12 would improve his draft position. Plus I doubt major decision makers will go to Gonzaga vs San Fransico or the WCC tourney games to personally evaluate prospects as opposed to ISU vs KU or Oregon vs UCLA and those conference tourneys (not to mention flipping channels on a Saturday is more likely just to be seen). A conference may make a difference for a player to get drafted or not but it can be the difference in 1st or 2nd round potential.
Elijah may not be as concerned with pro potential as location, relationships, style or play or role but it is likely a factor if not a major one.

LOL couldn't disagree more. I understand you are just trying to make yourself feel better about the whole Gonzaga vs ISU situation, but like someone mentioned above the NBA scouts will find talent no matter what. They don't necessarily looks at stats, they evaluate players based on several other factors. Also, "major decision makers" are just as likely to go to a Gonzaga vs San Francisco game as an Oregon vs UCLA game. They are there to scout players, not watch the ball game

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Looks like the Zags recruited him out of highschool so that must be the connection and why some might think they are the favorite. I think that is along time ago and that shouldn't make them the favorite. He is basically looking for the best landing spot in his one year. I really think this one will just come down to his relationship with the coach, the offense, and if the team will win next year.

The winning factor is a huge advantage to Gonzaga. If he comes here, we are no lock to make the tournament, but at Gonzaga they are guaranteed to make it because of the poor conference they play in. Gonzaga has made the tournament 19 consecutive years. Glad Brown had a great visit here last weekend though

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
LOL couldn't disagree more. I understand you are just trying to make yourself feel better about the whole Gonzaga vs ISU situation, but like someone mentioned above the NBA scouts will find talent no matter what. They don't necessarily looks at stats, they evaluate players based on several other factors. Also, "major decision makers" are just as likely to go to a Gonzaga vs San Francisco game as an Oregon vs UCLA game. They are there to scout players, not watch the ball game
I think it's ignorant to deny its a factor

• Useful
Reactions: CaseyJones

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Gonzaga doesn't have to deal with the grind of a major conference season. They should be fresh compared to other P5 teams come tournament time. Plus, lets not forget they got awful lucky beating WVU. WVU shot themselves in the foot in the waning moments more than the Zags beating them.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Gonzaga doesn't have to deal with the grind of a major conference season. They should be fresh compared to other P5 teams come tournament time. Plus, lets not forget they got awful lucky beating WVU. WVU shot themselves in the foot in the waning moments more than the Zags beating them.

Also this helped in the second round...

goaltend.jpg

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It sounds like we did our best and he had a great visit.

Beyond that is out of our control.
Yep, you can't fault the effort.

The winning factor is a huge advantage to Gonzaga. If he comes here, we are no lock to make the tournament, but at Gonzaga they are guaranteed to make it because of the poor conference they play in. Gonzaga has made the tournament 19 consecutive years. Glad Brown had a great visit here last weekend though
Huge advantage is a bit strong imo.

Guys like Brown bet on themselves making a program like Iowa State getting number 7. I mean, if winning in irrelevancy until March is the standard of winning, then sure Gonzaga is more of a winning program than even KU, UNC, etc. But guys want to win big games, and going to a Gonzaga team retooling in the PCC may not be the type of winning he's looking for.