RECRUITING: Elijah Brown to Oregon

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A Doctor Ponsetti at U of I developed a new procedure to treat club foot in the 40's or 50's and changed the fate of thousands of kids around the world. It is a treatment that has to be done when the child is young. I think the treatment is still the same which consists of recasting the foot multiple times to gently turn it outward. He practiced until he hit his upper 80's or 90 and just passed away within 5 years I think. I kept track of the guy because I went to U of I children's hospital in the late 1950's to be treated for legg perthes (hip) disease and he was my doctor.

For those curious... sounds like he had a fascinating life...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacio_Ponseti

Born one month before the Great War started, died in 2009.

Grew up on a Mediterranean island, a medic in the Spanish Civil War, fleeing the ravages of the World War, and doing so much good for children and humanity as a doctor in Iowa.

I mean, wow.

The world needs more souls like that one.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Good luck at DR's..

I get the gonzaga thing but ISU or Zaga he's going to start and play a ton..Gonazaga has lost a ton too. As Shakur...its been said multiple times that he really wants to win..if that is truly the case then going to Depaul would be a massive career mistake...again if that's what is driving him.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Zags are entering Blue Blood territory with recent tradition of NCAA success. Much higher national profile than ISU currently. Can't blame Brown if he goes there since he has indicated a winning program is important to him. Let's hope he doesn't connect with their staff/team as he did with ISU.

Blue Blood Territory? C'mon now.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Zags are entering Blue Blood territory with recent tradition of NCAA success. Much higher national profile than ISU currently. Can't blame Brown if he goes there since he has indicated a winning program is important to him. Let's hope he doesn't connect with their staff/team as he did with ISU.
18 good years and one final four doesn't mean they are entering blue blood status. A lot of schools are way closer to BB status than GU. UConn, Louisville, Arizona, Syracuse

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It's impossible for Gonzaga to be a blue blood in the conference they're in. Besides a few games, they virtually disappear for January and February. It's hard enough to be relevant on the west coast. Damn near impossible when they're playing in a mid major conference.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: zmjames6 and Acylum

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Maybe, maybe not. But gonzaga isn't light years ahead of Iowa state.
Blue blood talk is silly, but their program in regards to national respect, recruitment and over basketball success is way ahead of us at the moment. Hell, they accomplished something this last season ISU has never accomplished and that was just one year. They have had much more tournament success in recent decades as well. It's very possible to bridge the gap but ISU needs to be better than just 3rd or so best in the league. ISU needs a conference championship and a final 4 run before we can be in the conversation with Gonzaga or even a top 25 program nationally imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Blue blood talk is silly, but their program in regards to national respect, recruitment and over basketball success is way ahead of us at the moment. Hell, they accomplished something this last season ISU has never accomplished and that was just one year. They have had much more tournament success in recent decades as well. It's very possible to bridge the gap but ISU needs to be better than just 3rd or so best in the league. ISU needs a conference championship and a final 4 run before we can be in the conversation with Gonzaga or even a top 25 program nationally imo.

I'd be curious what 25 programs are better than us right now.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Gonzaga has a great program but they aren't anywhere near blueblood, their success gets exaggerated, the last 3 years, they've been great but prior to that, they had 3 sweet 16's in 14 years. Not bad for a mid major but nothing to live up the media hype they get year after year, especially when you consider they . It took Few 15 years to make it past the Sweet 16.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Zags isn't a blue blood and won't be imo. Their coach is excellent but their small conference affiliation and small school in the NW location won't allow for the exposure. They are extremely lucky that Few has stayed and rejected more prestigious jobs to build their name. Actually much like WSU going to AAC this would be the time to jump up a conference (MWC?) to continue their rise it is capped now. Let's remember they had one loss and a lot of experts wanted them dropped from a 1 seed due to their weak schedule.

The Zags are a very respectable team and totally understand Elijah going to play for Few. I'd still argue that if he wants to best enhance his pro prospects ISU is a better fit. Much easier to get scouts to evaluate your game playing against KU/OU/WV's rather than St.Mary's/Pacific/SFU. Also an underrated selling point is Prohm's development of PG and getting them into the NBA. Few doesn't have that track record.

Help Support Us

Become a patron