Preseason USA Today Coaches Poll Released

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Link: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

USA Today Coaches Poll - Preseason (8/3)
1. Alabama (49)
2. Ohio State (5)
3. Florida State (4)
4. USC
5. Clemson (7)
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Oklahoma
9. Michigan
10. Wisconsin
11. Oklahoma State
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Florida
17. Louisville
18. Miami (FL)
19. Kansas State
20. West Virginia

21. South Florida
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas
24. Tennessee
25. Utah

Others Receiving Votes
Washington State, Colorado, TCU, Boise State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, North Carolina State, Oregon, Northwestern, Nebraska, Memphis, Arkansas, Mississippi State, San Diego State, Appalachian State, BYU, Georgia Tech, Tulsa, Wyoming, Western Michigan, Temple, North Carolina, Houston, Troy, Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana Tech, Syracuse, Arizona, Army, Colorado State, Michigan State, Maryland, Toledo, UCLA

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Am I alone thinking that Penn State is way, way overrated going into the season?
I don't read too much into coaches polls but I will say I'm surprised there is five B12 teams in the initial poll.

Yeah. I'm not dismissing Texas, but I think we should wait and see on them. Tom Herman will be successful in Austin but I don't know how his philosophy squares up with Charlie Strong's. There could be a lot of round holes and square pegs in that program this season.

I'm a little surprised to see Washington State almost breaking into the Top 25. I knew Leach had built a pretty respectable program in yet another outpost, but I didn't know expectations were quite that high this year.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Anyone have the site where it lists each coach's vote? Is that up yet this week?

Curious to see CMC rankings.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's also somewhat surprising to see Baylor not get any votes at all. I would think there are still enough holdovers from the Briles era that they're OK up front. It's the quality depth that's missing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'd say 6, possibly 7, is about right. Down year with lots of young talent at key positions.

I agree. I think with the line play and running game they'll be competitive. But the youth and inexperience at QB and WR isn't something you can just ignore. I'm thinking the floor is 5 wins and the ceiling is 8.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I agree. I think with the line play and running game they'll be competitive. But the youth and inexperience at QB and WR isn't something you can just ignore. I'm thinking the floor is 5 wins and the ceiling is 8.

...and CB.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ideal scenario: lose to ISU and only win 5 games for the year. Knowing that the ISU loss kept them from a bowl game would be delicious.
Something like this on a smaller scale?

Remember this kept Iowa out of bigger things that year as well. ;)

Reactions: GTO

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Maryland getting votes is kind of a joke. Went 6-6 last year and made a bowl game, but if you look at their schedule this year, I see maybe four wins at most.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Am I alone thinking that Penn State is way, way overrated going into the season?

Yeah. I'm not dismissing Texas, but I think we should wait and see on them. Tom Herman will be successful in Austin but I don't know how his philosophy squares up with Charlie Strong's. There could be a lot of round holes and square pegs in that program this season.

I'm a little surprised to see Washington State almost breaking into the Top 25. I knew Leach had built a pretty respectable program in yet another outpost, but I didn't know expectations were quite that high this year.

PSU is properly rated. When you have a QB that performed like that and maybe the best RB in the country, best TE in the country and the talent they have coming back. They should be expected to be good.

I agree on Texas.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
PSU is properly rated. When you have a QB that performed like that and maybe the best RB in the country, best TE in the country and the talent they have coming back. They should be expected to be good.

I agree on Texas.

Yeah, I know the offense is scary good. But at some point they'll have to play some defense too, and they're a little young and untested on that side. I can understand expecting them to be good, but six seems just a tad high.