Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
cool story bro coming up

Last night Dh pointed out a story about a local high school volleyball player. She had moved up here just before the season started. Reason he pointed it out was because she moved from our hometown area. Neat.

Kept reading and noticed that they had been driving 1.5 hours 4 days a week for her to play club in IA. Wow. Dad was tired of it. Decided they'd move to WI so she could play up here. Wait, what? Yeah, they literally moved two hours north so she could play volleyball. Went to an open house and bought a house and moved all in like a week. There was a comment about the kids' mandatory yearly overseas trips. Not like, legally required, but like, parents want them to travel or something which I guess is cool. Anyway I'm thinking yikes, I hope the siblings enjoyed their lives being uprooted for this.

Start googling the dad, he's some CEO of a small company. Then DH found the house they bought. I'm like hey, didn't we look at that neighborhood when we went to Parade of Homes a couple years ago? Weren't those the huge fancy homes?

He finds the listing. I'm like wait a second.............turns out it's actually one of the houses we saw. I'll never forget it because it had a special brick oven just for making pizzas (I still want this!) and a catwalk for the ~10 year old daughter's "princess suite". Remember when Hoiberg's Ames house got posted? It's not far off from that.

So yeah. Family uprooted life in a week for teen daughter to play vball up here. I mean, I guess the town they came to is bigger but it's not like it's a huge elite program or anything. Nor does it sound like the girl is super elite (not to be mean, just, if you're going to do all this I guess I was expecting a Lauren Carlini or something).

I'm assuming the move was to play club, here in Iowa you are supposed to have to sit out a year if you purposely move schools for sports (school sports though). There is an elite 14-15yr old player who lives and home schools in Ankeny to be able to play for an elite club out of Omaha. A friend who has a daughter that played on our club 14 A team said when that team played at tournaments there were multiple D1 coaches watching her.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Note to self, go work out. re: biceps Dammit, Emily.

Biking/running is cool however arms be looking a little scrawny. Or, does it matter, winter's coming with long sleeves and big coats!

I'm working on mine, need CG to post some inspiration to beat her at push ups again or something. ;) Not quite Emily status yet. The daughter who plays sports has impressive muscles. They were at lifting one morning and a friend says to her, "You could cut diamonds with those calves!" We give her a bad time because she often toe walks around the house, but I think she is secretly onto something--perpetual calf raises.

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wait till you watch a 50th Anniversary theater run of something you saw as a first run, then you know you are getting old.

Me in 2012 at Columbia Heights doing the math while watching Lawrence of Arabia on their big screen. :eek:

Not particularly looking forward to THAT. I already find myself doing it with music all the time. But when you have two options - getting old or getting dead - the getting older is usually preferable. :cool:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Went to see "The Spy Who Loved Me" at Movies 12 last night for part of their classic series. Had forgotten that Bond film turned 40 this year. o_O I was too young to have seen it on the big screen, so it was fun to see it on something other than the tv.

Coming up (September 13), Movies 12 is showing the 35th anniversary director's cut of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan." They showed it last year (I think) randomly and we missed going because we lost track of the days that particular week. I DID get to see it on the big screen when it was first released, then a couple years ago in one of those grand old movie houses in San Francisco. If you're a fan of ST:TWOK, you gotta go see it in the theater - totally worth it.
I'm not sure who chewed more scenery in that one - Shatner or Montalban. But it's a guilty pleasure. I just don't think I can talk PapaLew into it. He'll barely watch on the television. :)

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Kept reading and noticed that they had been driving 1.5 hours 4 days a week for her to play club in IA.

This is fairly common. My now former boss drives her daughter 2-3 nights a week to Ames to play on Iowa Attack (basketball). Unless she gets crazy good she won't be D1 though. I can't remember who their son played for club wise but I don't think there is a club team local here in CR. He is at Central Michigan now though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm assuming the move was to play club, here in Iowa you are supposed to have to sit out a year if you purposely move schools for sports (school sports though). There is an elite 14-15yr old player who lives and home schools in Ankeny to be able to play for an elite club out of Omaha. A friend who has a daughter that played on our club 14 A team said when that team played at tournaments there were multiple D1 coaches watching her.

the whole thing is odd because it said she lived in IL (and there is video of her playing our hometowns from last fall), but the article said she attended a Dubuque high school and played club in IC. The article spelled the dad's name wrong so maybe it got the Dubuque thing wrong too. It would make more sense that they moved for club but at that point I don't know why they wouldn't have just moved closer to Chicago and the big time clubs there. Unless she wouldn't have a good shot at those.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
reread the article, the Dubuque bit is that they were going to move to Dubuque for this season if they hadn't come up here.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Wait till you watch a 50th Anniversary theater run of something you saw as a first run, then you know you are getting old.

Me in 2012 at Columbia Heights doing the math while watching Lawrence of Arabia on their big screen. :eek:
I'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen! Up until college, I had never seen Gone With the Wind or The Wizard of Oz on big screen until I took a film appreciation course. I was blown away at the difference in impact. :)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
cool story bro coming up

Last night Dh pointed out a story about a local high school volleyball player. She had moved up here just before the season started. Reason he pointed it out was because she moved from our hometown area. Neat.

Kept reading and noticed that they had been driving 1.5 hours 4 days a week for her to play club in IA. Wow. Dad was tired of it. Decided they'd move to WI so she could play up here. Wait, what? Yeah, they literally moved two hours north so she could play volleyball. Went to an open house and bought a house and moved all in like a week. There was a comment about the kids' mandatory yearly overseas trips. Not like, legally required, but like, parents want them to travel or something which I guess is cool. Anyway I'm thinking yikes, I hope the siblings enjoyed their lives being uprooted for this.

Start googling the dad, he's some CEO of a small company. Then DH found the house they bought. I'm like hey, didn't we look at that neighborhood when we went to Parade of Homes a couple years ago? Weren't those the huge fancy homes?

He finds the listing. I'm like wait a second.............turns out it's actually one of the houses we saw. I'll never forget it because it had a special brick oven just for making pizzas (I still want this!) and a catwalk for the ~10 year old daughter's "princess suite". Remember when Hoiberg's Ames house got posted? It's not far off from that.

So yeah. Family uprooted life in a week for teen daughter to play vball up here. I mean, I guess the town they came to is bigger but it's not like it's a huge elite program or anything. Nor does it sound like the girl is super elite (not to be mean, just, if you're going to do all this I guess I was expecting a Lauren Carlini or something).

I've known of two different families that moved so their son could play high school football for a better team. One of my wife's co-workers rented a crappy appt that they never used just so he could claim residency for his son to attend and play football at a better school.

Financially, if you can guarantee a full-ride scholarship to a good school, something like that may be worth it, but that's a helluva lot of pressure to put on a kid. I'll leave the other whole "horribleness of youth sports" argument alone.

It doesn't sound like the guy in your example is that concerned about money, though.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Let me preface this by saying I like Lawrence of Arabia.

Middle and high school me used to watch a movie called Hollywood Knights quite often (it did not age well). There's a scene where one of the characters sings lyrics to the Lawrence of Arabia theme song. Lawrence... Lawrence of Arabia. He's an English guy. He came to fight the Turkish. To this day, anytime I hear Lawrence of Arabia, this silly rendition of the theme song is stuck in my head for hours.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen! Up until college, I had never seen Gone With the Wind or The Wizard of Oz on big screen until I took a film appreciation course. I was blown away at the difference in impact. :)
Either Gone with the Wind or The Sound of Music were most likely the first movie I saw in the theater. When they got married in Sound of Music and the camera panned up to the bells I stood up because I thought it was over. Man that was a long movie for a kid. Not like GWTW was a short.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
MRI back. I'm sick. Complete ACL tear with partial MCL. School year gone. No football, almost a lock for state wrestling, state track in jeopardy. I haven't told him yet, not sure how.

Oh no....I can't remember but he isn't a senior right?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
MRI back. I'm sick. Complete ACL tear with partial MCL. School year gone. No football, almost a lock for state wrestling, state track in jeopardy. I haven't told him yet, not sure how.
That is such a tough break. I have no idea how to tell him. There's no easy way so I guess just straight forward sit him down and tell him the results came back and they aren't good.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Oh hell. Sorry to hear that BC. It'll be rough to hear and he'll have a long road to recover, but I've seen much old people recover and are now 100%.

Kids are resilient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron