It's okay to be pissed

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What we saw was a terrible display of football. In a big spot, as they have so many times, they played boring, uninspired football and crapped the bed on national TV. You can be happy with Campbell and optimistic about the future but I don't see why we need to dance around it. If you had fun watching this game tonight more power to you, but for myself and many viewers that is 4 hours of time we can't get back.

I understand quibbles people may have about the defense - but they held Texas to 312 yards and 17 points. Texas punted 7 times and turned it over twice. Texas TOP was 40:31. That is absolutely a perfectly fine defensive performance in this conference.

However, as many, many people of have said, you had Texas lined up with a 3 man front for most of the second half and we handed off the ball 2 times in the 3rd quarter and 1 time in the 4th. Park didn't have it today and it was obvious. And in the second half of a totally winnable game, we hand the ball of to the best player on our team... 1.5 times a quarter.

We punted from the 33 yard line. That should never happen. Just absolutely baffling. When this coaching staff plays blackjack they stay on 9 while the dealer is showing a face card.

There were zero offensive adjustments made. They kept going to the same well that wasn't working. I'm not saying anybody should be fired (they shouldn't) I'm not saying you should be down on the future of the program (you shouldn't) but this is a game that we've seen ISU play too many times regardless of coaching staff.

There was a lot of talk about attendance before this game. Only 51,234 tickets were sold. They should be grateful more people weren't on hand to watch that abomination.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
It wasn't even that they laid an egg. They regressed. I've lost all hope for this team, this year. Lots of talent on offense, but not a good offense.

Manning might need to be reevaluated as O coordinator before its too late. 12 days to put that game plan together and then make those play calls and seemingly zero adjustments... I remember CPR stubbornly refusing to get rid of Messingham, which was basically the beginning of the end for him.

On the bright side, the D looks way better than advertised.

At least the Cub's post season will span the gap between now and basketball.

Last edited:

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Played as poorly as we looked. Stop with the constant uniform confusion with the recreational use of gray and Hanna-Barbera logos and instead focus on figuring out how to recruit linemen.

Regarding attendance, what do you expect on a Thursday night with a young team that appears destined for a .500 season at best? Fans have turned out in droves for less.

I'm still optomistic about Campbell. One game doesn't define a coach; or a season.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Agreed. This is the first disappointing feeling I've had in Campbells tenure. Everything was set up for us to succeed, the defense did MORE THAN ENOUGH for us to win, and we laid an egg. I still think we're trending upward, but this game hurt.
A lot of truth here, my issue with this is the failures don't feel any different than CPR era close game failures. Which puts me in a dark place as a fan.....

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
A lot of truth here, my issue with this is the failures don't feel any different than CPR era close game failures. Which puts me in a dark place as a fan.....

If that was a Paul Rhoads team and the offense only put up 7 points we lose by 30+. Still a lot to be excited about.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
It wasn't even that they laid an egg. They regressed. I've lost all hope for this team, this year. Lots of talent on offense, but not a good offense.

Manning might need to be reevaluated as O coordinator before its too late. 12 days to put that game plan together and then make those play calls and seemingly zero adjustments... I remember CPR stubbornly refusing to get rid of Messingham, which was basically the beginning of the end for him.

All hope?

Reactions: PlanoClone

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I was frustrated as we were in the game as we hit the fourth quarter....one or two plays and we sneak a win. HAVE to clean up little things and get out of our own heads.

I'm not paid to coach, but Park was just not consistent and you'd think we could have found ways to get Dmont the ball via short passes, edge runs, etc. It's hard to out scheme raw power.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
Agreed. This is the first disappointing feeling I've had in Campbells tenure. Everything was set up for us to succeed, the Texas offense did MORE THAN ENOUGH for us to win, and we laid an egg. I still think we're trending upward, but this game hurt.

That was an absolutely terrible offense. They were bordering on 2016 Iowa offense bad. Surprised how solid Texas' D is given their Jr High offense.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm holding out losing all hope until the Oklahoma beat down. Until then I'm firmly in the apathetic category

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Our defense made the proper adjustments throughout the game. Outside of Bailey allowing them to extent their first drive and scoring on us, I think our defense played very well. Not only did that penalty extent their series, but it took Bailey off the field, and I think that had a big impact on that series.

Manning....wow, that offensive disaster is on him. Yes, Park looked terrible, but that's when you take pressure off of him by handing the ball off or going with quick pitch and catch passes. When Manning has to go off script, our offense has sputtered all season. Look at the second quarter of every game and our offense has struggled mightily. Hopefully there's a discussion about opening up things a little bit offensively.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
It's ok to be pissed. It's ok to be frustrated and critical. It's not ok to make excuses because Texas defense this or how "good" Texas is.

The team stunk it up, hard to say the team stunk it up because the players played hard. So if you have talented players and they put in the effort. What's the problem?

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC