A couple things the coaches should clean up

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Celebration penalty - either the coaches didn't tell the players about it or the players ignored what they were told.

Personal foul - shoulder pad to helmet of qb who was sliding. The ISU player pointed to his shoulder pad indicating he thought it was legal because it wasn't helmet to helmet. Again either coaches did tell him about it or he ignored what they told him.

QB throwing a fit - not to make it bigger that it was but a Thursday game is a time to spotlight your team with the only college game on the air. Coaches should have cleaned up that behavior long before now. That's not an image you want to project to recruits.

Other observations...

Basketball players at wide receiver. I understand the concept but first the receiver needs to be able to 1. run a route 2. get open 3. catch the football OR 1. have tremendous speed 2. catch the football. If in addition to those abilities he is 6'5" tall then that's a plus. I remember one play where a basketball player reached out with one hand to catch the ball - it's not round - and deflected the ball to a defender which resulted in an interception. You don't always get a perfect pass. Good receivers adjust. When Wes Welker was acquired the Patriots he said they never tested his 40 time or his vertical. They had already watched him on film and knew he could run a route, get open and catch a football.

Uniforms. Are they trying to hide the fact they are a power 5 school? I was trying to figure out what the logo reminded me of and then I got it - an upside down ice cream swirl cone. If that's the new logo then I'd suggest making some contrast with the rest of the helmet so it can be recognized from a distance. Jerseys were an improvement from the Iowa game but for crying out loud establish an identity. People flipping channels are asking "who is Texas playing"?

Running game. It's still legal for offensive linemen to put a hand in the dirt and run the football.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Personal foul - shoulder pad to helmet of qb who was sliding. The ISU player pointed to his shoulder pad indicating he thought it was legal because it wasn't helmet to helmet. Again either coaches did tell him about it or he ignored what they told him.

If the QB was sliding that was the worst slide I've ever seen. I thought he was stumbling down and Peavy went in to finish the play. I have no problem with Peavy hitting him.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
TL;DR version

qjr52vantirurbcxgriy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: tyler24

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

If the QB was sliding that was the worst slide I've ever seen. I thought he was stumbling down and Peavy went in to finish the play. I have no problem with Peavy hitting him.

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

OP is right in that Peavy thought this was legal. It is not.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

QB was a ball carrier & not defenseless. He also was not sliding & was in the air/off the ground. Was a BS call.
Other than that, I thought the game was well called. Made the correct changes on reviews. Had a lot of holding calls in our favor. This bad call did not lose us the game.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Peavy was coming in to hit buechele in that chest area, then buechele slipped which lowered his head into the path of the hit. Is that a penalty? I guess, but it definitely wasn't intentional.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

It wasn't a targeting call. The ref announced it as a personal foul late hit.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Did the OP just accuse ISU's receivers of mistaking a football for a basketball mid-game?

And were ISU's receivers basketball players?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
QB was a ball carrier & not defenseless. He also was not sliding & was in the air/off the ground. Was a BS call.

It was annoying Brian Griese kept saying the QB was sliding or had given himself up. The QB slipped as Peavy was going in for the tackle.

• Agree
Reactions: BigLame

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
For the 27th time . . .

The penalty against Peavy was called because he initiated contact against a ball carrier using his shoulder into the runner's helmet. Whether or not he did it on purpose is irrelevant. Whether the ball carrier slid or not is irrelevant. At all levels (youth, high school, college, and pro) the authorities are trying to eliminate ANY hit into the helmet area with helmet, arm, fist, or shoulder, etc. Is that fair? Is that right? Feel free to debate that, but it's here to stay like it or not. It's an attempt to save the game (that can be discussed elsewhere) that will take a full generation of players coming up through high school to really change how tackling is done.

Did the officials make a mistake on that play? Yes. The mistake was what they called it. They called it a late hit. They should have called it helmet contact or targeting and likely ejected Peavy. That would have been more consistent (but likely have led to more complaining).

So if you want to complain, that's legit, but realize that your complaint if validated would have led to our player likely being ejected.

Why did the officials announce it as a late hit instead of targeting? Either just plain a miscommunication between the covering official and the referee, or (more likely) the covering official wasn't sure at live game speed if the ball carrier was sliding or not, so he chose the "less severe" penalty as he didn't want to eject Peavy.