Hatred for the Big 12

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So right now on ESPN they have Joey Galloway and Kirk Herbstreit just ragging and ragging on the Big 12 defenses and how awful they are. It's just disgusting because they are both Ohio State grads and they have nobody else on the panel. They were showing videos of OU vs. Okie State, and on nearly every highlight the WRs were covered really well, but the passes were just perfect. It's not like there wasn't anyone within 10 yds of them.

And doesn't Herbie realize what an awful Iowa offense just put up on his beloved Buckeyes? Talk about horrible defense.

I'm just getting really sick of ESPN and all their cronies, none of which played in the Big 12, just ragging on the Big 12 each and every single year and how they don't deserve to have a team in the playoff. And not only does ESPN not have anyone in support of the Big 12, but the CFP committee rarely does either. It's such a scam.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We were actually having a good year to refute their ignorance, but because Bedlam is the highest profile game in the conference (this year anyway), it gave them all the ammo they needed to bring up the old talking point.

The Big Ten has scored exactly 0 points in the last two years of the playoff, but we don't ever hear blanket statements about their offenses being awful. I've never been on the ESPN conspiracy train, but its bias against the Big 12 is as blatant as its promotion of the Big 10. Danny Kanell is the only guy that would routinely question those biases. Not surprising that he's an ACC guy. It's infuriating.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's just so biased each and every year against the Big 12 by both the media and the committee.

I was shocked they had OU ahead of Ohio State in their first poll, but then I realized they like to tease the Big 12 early on, only to screw them over when the final poll comes out, ala TCU a few years ago.

So if OU wins out and wins the Big 12, I fully expect to see someone like Wisconsin knock them out.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
KH and JG are in desperation lobbying mode to get a Big Ten team in the playoff. They are both Big Ten homers, and certainly ESPN wants a Big Ten team in the CFP for ratings. Since the Big 12 is right at the doorstep of the playoff, they are going after the Big 12. Many times when you act out of desperation, you end up looking stupid.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
ESPN is always going to market their largest investments, the awful thing is, the CFP committee more or less their mouthpiece.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The Big 12 will get snubbed again unless OU wins out. If that happens, it's still not guaranteed. System is so biased it's bull ****. Lot's of good points in this thread.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Unfortunately, games like Bedlam last weekend don't help push back on that mantra, even though we all know the truth that Big 12 defenses are not markedly better or worse than any other conference on the whole.

• Disagree
Reactions: Judoka

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Your first mistake was watching ESPN. They've been hot garbage for awhile now.

Yeah but ESPN actually has a huge impact on college football. Not just polls and playoff implications but with what games they air and how their comments impact RECRUITING.

Don't you think this rubs off on high school football players that watch ESPN religiously only to hear how great the SEC and Big 10 are and how ****** the Big 12 is?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Penn State vs Ohio State was just 39-38.... it's not like that's awesome defense either.

I will say this though.... OU under performs on defense every year for their talent level, but they still did pretty good against Ohio State.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Your first mistake was watching ESPN. They've been hot garbage for awhile now.

They have the most intensive coverage of college football, including the playoff rankings show. I'm going to watch. I'd prefer if they hired a few analysts from each region. There's no reason Joey Galloway belongs on a high-profile show. He was a bad in-game analyst. He's bad in the studio. He is Stephen A lite, but I guess ESPN likes that.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Penn State vs Ohio State was just 39-38.... it's not like that's awesome defense either.

I will say this though.... OU under performs on defense every year for their talent level, but they still did pretty good against Ohio State.

It was a poorly played football game in general.