Hatred for the Big 12

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I didn't watch the CFP show, so I can't comment directly about Herbstreit/Galloway's analysis. In general, I have no problem with critique of a team's strengths and weaknesses. But if selection committee uses points scored/points allowed as a primary criterion, that becomes an issue.

Play a role-reversal (mirroring Oklahoma's defense rankings): What if the selection panel downgraded an 8-1 team with OU's current resume because it ranks only 87th in scoring and total offense. Not only is it subjective, the numbers depend somewhat on your competition's strengths.

Who did you play, who did you beat?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I had a co-worker come in Monday and ask about ISU..I talked about how it doesn't get much easier and he talked about how OU and OSU didn't play any defense.

I couldn't argue because I think they both did play bad defense in their game, but also pointed out that apparently Ohio State doesn't either after Saturday.

ISU, TCU, and Texas all play straight up defense and it shows in how they've all slowed down high performing offenses.
In what I watched of the OSU/OU game, there was not bad defense at all. You bad two QBs who were droping dimes everytime they threw the ball.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In what I watched of the OSU/OU game, there was not bad defense at all. You bad two QBs who were droping dimes everytime they threw the ball.

OSU actually had some pretty good play up front at times, but watched it last night on FSN replay and the secondaries were playing flag football.

Not surprising on OU's side...that's the last time ISU was able to move the ball consistently although that was Kempt's first game.

FWIW I think ISU will likely struggle on both sides of the ball this weekend.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So right now on ESPN they have Joey Galloway and Kirk Herbstreit just ragging and ragging on the Big 12 defenses and how awful they are. It's just disgusting because they are both Ohio State grads and they have nobody else on the panel. They were showing videos of OU vs. Okie State, and on nearly every highlight the WRs were covered really well, but the passes were just perfect. It's not like there wasn't anyone within 10 yds of them.

And doesn't Herbie realize what an awful Iowa offense just put up on his beloved Buckeyes? Talk about horrible defense.

I'm just getting really sick of ESPN and all their cronies, none of which played in the Big 12, just ragging on the Big 12 each and every single year and how they don't deserve to have a team in the playoff. And not only does ESPN not have anyone in support of the Big 12, but the CFP committee rarely does either. It's such a scam.
You need to understand how ESPN works. If the Big 12 was in the big markets and the Big 10 was in small markets the narrative would be reversed. It's just business. Shame on you for watching.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
ESPN has a contract with the SEC. The SEC knows that the B1G is zero threat to them. Now the Big 12 is really starting to scare them though. Only natural they would slime our conference name every chance they get.

You dont think that ESPN paid the B1G a large sum of money for a TV contract as well?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
A committee driven four team playoff is, has been and always will be an utter failure. The P5 inter conference matchups are few and early in the season.

If the narrative is that the Big 12 has ****ty defense I'd ask how one can even know that?

We'll never have a true champion unless the P5 conference champs ALL get a chance to participate in the tournament. I think it's utter bull**** that America has to smile and nod while Alabama sits at #1 just becasue SEC SEC SEC.

The sad part is we had it with the traditional Jan 1 bowls but that wasn't good enough. Instead of just instituting a plus one we have this abortion that says the SEC is better because it just is.

Every year at least one P5 conference champ gets told by a committee, "Nope, too bad, we've decided there's no way you can prove on the field you're better. We decided it in this conference room, sorry." One loss Washington, sorry. Two loss TCU, sorry. One loss Wisconsin, sorry. Two SEC teams, ND and an ACC team are so much better than you that you have no shot.

It's not a playoff. It sucks.

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
OSU actually had some pretty good play up front at times, but watched it last night on FSN replay and the secondaries were playing flag football.

Not surprising on OU's side...that's the last time ISU was able to move the ball consistently although that was Kempt's first game.

FWIW I think ISU will likely struggle on both sides of the ball this weekend.
The struggles are fairly easy to diagnose...teams now have 5 game films on Kempt, 6 game films on the defense, and we are starting to get some injuries to thin positions. We are a middle of the pack Big 12 team...6-8 wins...which I would expect most to be happy with this year. Now, moving into next year, more line experience (it truly takes 4-5 years with a good redshirt program to fully develop linemen), and perhaps quicker QB dynamics, is when we can start to see season long success, even against the top Big 12 teams.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
It's not a playoff. It sucks.
Very true and it would be so easy to fix.
- Set mandatory 9 game conference schedule for P5 teams, Independents can keep doing their thing. Playing at minimum 2 P5 teams in non-conference.
- Expand to 8 team playoff, 5 auto-bids for P5 conference winners, 3 at large (UCF would be great at large candidate this year).
- Keep 4 major bowls for first round of playoffs, next round is semifinals, then NC game. All other bowls can be left how they are now.
- If NCAA complains about too many games drop a non P5 non-conference game and go to 11 game seasons.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
They have the most intensive coverage of college football, including the playoff rankings show. I'm going to watch. I'd prefer if they hired a few analysts from each region. There's no reason Joey Galloway belongs on a high-profile show. He was a bad in-game analyst. He's bad in the studio. He is Stephen A lite, but I guess ESPN likes that.
I wish Joel Klatt was on ESPN. Very good analyst. Very fair to all conferences

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
- Set mandatory 9 game conference schedule for P5 teams, Independents can keep doing their thing. Playing at minimum 2 P5 teams in non-conference.
- Expand to 8 team playoff, 5 auto-bids for P5 conference winners, 3 at large (UCF would be great at large candidate this year).
- Keep 4 major bowls for first round of playoffs, next round is semifinals, then NC game. All other bowls can be left how they are now.
- If NCAA complains about too many games drop a non P5 non-conference game and go to 13 game seasons.
Playing out of conference early in the season doesn't stop the hype. Just look at the OU tOSU comparisons before the iowa game. OU played tougher competition so ESPN deemed them as not playing well. tOSU played an easy schedule and ESPN deemed them as greatly improved

audiokiwi

Nov 11, 2013
Ames
- Set mandatory 9 game conference schedule for P5 teams, Independents can keep doing their thing. Playing at minimum 2 P5 teams in non-conference....

As an ISU fan, i'm hesitant to mandate 11 P5 opponents a season. That's just a meat grinder of a season that would be tough for any team except the cream of the crop to make it through and would reduce their odds of making bowl games.

Instead of 2 mandatory P5 OOC games (which would likely preclude ISU from ever scheduling UNI), make that a requirement to be eligible for at-large spots. If a lower-caliber P5 team gets lightning in a bottle and has a contract with two group of 5 teams from a decade ago, they can still make the playoff by winning their conference. But P5 teams that have an OOC schedule like Wisconsin's this year should never sniff an at-large in an 8 team playoff.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Joey Gallaway is a moron.

It wa sinteresting a few years ago when people were citing the OU/TCU game as a no defense game, that the LSU/Bama game actually yielded more PPP.

No one will acknowledge that the Big 12, year in and year out, has very good, if not great, QB play and the SEC has no QB play. Georgia is running around undefeated throwing the ball 11 times in game. How do they do that? It sure as hell isn't because someone is stopping the run.

The Big 12 also the best offensive coaches as a whole. All but KU and ISU have proven offensive minds somewhere on their staff and Meachem is pretty proven. I just don't get this obsession with what teams do well. It doesn't matter.

Patterson's quote on the SEC having to play OU and OSU was perfect. I want nothing more than to see Baker Mayfield burn that playoff to the ground and talk the whole time he's doing it. I really hope he gets there and I hope he uses that moment.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
What ESPN fails to realize is scoring is directly related to pace of play. Faster pace means more plays means more possessions means more points. This is true across college football and every conference provides examples.

Look at Alabama when they play fast paced Clemson...high scoring games.

tOSU is a faster paced offence in the big tin and their games are higher scoring. The ACC and PAC 12 are the same as the Big 12.

The other aspect is balanced offenses. People call the Big 12 "pass happy" even though they pass less than the PAC 12 and ACC. Fact is those three conferences aren't "pass happy" they run balanced offenses that can run as well as pass.

Meanwhile the big tin and SEC run and run and slow down the game. They choose to make themselves one dimensional which makes them easier to defend.

ESPN is a joke. There is a reason they have guys like Herbstreit, Pollack, Galloway instead of a guy like Joel Klatt. It is the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. They cater to population zones and ratings.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Joey Gallaway is a moron.

It wa sinteresting a few years ago when people were citing the OU/TCU game as a no defense game, that the LSU/Bama game actually yielded more PPP.

No one will acknowledge that the Big 12, year in and year out, has very good, if not great, QB play and the SEC has no QB play. Georgia is running around undefeated throwing the ball 11 times in game. How do they do that? It sure as hell isn't because someone is stopping the run.

The Big 12 also the best offensive coaches as a whole. All but KU and ISU have proven offensive minds somewhere on their staff and Meachem is pretty proven. I just don't get this obsession with what teams do well. It doesn't matter.

Patterson's quote on the SEC having to play OU and OSU was perfect. I want nothing more than to see Baker Mayfield burn that playoff to the ground and talk the whole time he's doing it. I really hope he gets there and I hope he uses that moment.
Look what happened when Alabama played an uptempo spread offense with athletes the last two years. They gave up 35 points last year and loss and gave up 40 points the year before and won. That is a lot fo points to give up for what people were claiming is a great defense

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
What I don't understand is why ESPN is so biased against the Big XII? It makes no monetary sense to piss off 15+% of your customers. I for one have cut the cord and purposely not purchased their product for as much as I can stand.

So why are they continuing? I think they backed off this year some and for some reason their are a lot more Big XII games on ESPN than last year. Is it just the morons like those two OSU jokes with their personal bias, I doubt it.

So, that all leads me to believe they have longer term plans on trying to get rid of the conference. Perhaps they think they can then get out of the disaster of the LHN contract. Perhaps they are scared of the Big XII taking the rights to a streaming network on Amazon and just making them irrelevant. I'm not sure but the bias is obvious.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
What I don't understand is why ESPN is so biased against the Big XII? It makes no monetary sense to piss off 15+% of your customers. I for one have cut the cord and purposely not purchased their product for as much as I can stand.

So why are they continuing? I think they backed off this year some and for some reason their are a lot more Big XII games on ESPN than last year. Is it just the morons like those two OSU jokes with their personal bias, I doubt it.

So, that all leads me to believe they have longer term plans on trying to get rid of the conference. Perhaps they think they can then get out of the disaster of the LHN contract. Perhaps they are scared of the Big XII taking the rights to a streaming network on Amazon and just making them irrelevant. I'm not sure but the bias is obvious.
I hope the Big 12 signs with streaming services like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix,PsVue, and YouTube. That'd be phenomenal and I would instantly subscribe.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
If Texas and OU do well, they'll say the conference sucks because the rest of the conference is bad.

If the rest of the conference is good, they'll say the conference sucks because Texas and OU aren't good.

**** ESPN.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

For talking points, going back to that study a few years ago that tried to determine fanbase size, the Big Ten fanbase is more than twice the size of the Big 12 fanbase. It is also bigger than the SEC fanbase. The CFP is on ESPN. The problem with the CFP taking only four teams is that somebody gets left out. If you are ESPN, it is not good economics to have the conference with the biggest fanbase getting left out of the playoff.

OU and TCU are sitting at 5 and 6, and poised to jump into the playoff if ND or Clemson stumble. In order for the Big Ten to make the playoff, a Big Ten team needs to be in those spots.

The ACC is third in fanbase size, and ESPN is trying to launch a network for them, so ESPN is not going to badmouth the ACC/Clemson. ND has a huge national following, plus they are semi-affiliated with the ACC, so ESPN is not going to go after them either.

That leaves the Big 12 for ESPN's whipping boy, because ESPN needs the the committee to believe that the Big 12 shouldn't be first in line at the CFB playoff doorstep. Economically, angering Big 12 fans isn't that big of deal relative to getting the Big Ten in the playoff.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If that is their thinking then they are just stupid idiots. The playoffs should be about the best football they can put together to crown a champion. They are cutting off a leg for a minor rash.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe