Matt Lauer Fired

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Every single girl I know has been sent a picture of some dude’s junk, and they all claim they didn’t like, but these guys have to be having some success with it right?

Sadly, yep. I don't think most people have a clue the amount of sexting that goes on -- both ways.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Every single girl I know has been sent a picture of some dude’s junk, and they all claim they didn’t like, but these guys have to be having some success with it right?

Many make that claim, but if it was true they wouldn't reciprocate with their own pic.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
LOL c'mon man. If you are truly a good guy then you have nothing to worry about. Absolutely terrified to work with women? Just don't be a creep! It isn't that complicated. The stuff coming out of Hollywood is disgusting. It is pretty obviously way over the line.

I think he is overstating it, but there are things to be concerned about even if you are a good guy. Just yesterday I had a woman who works directly for me crying because of a personal problem. I am friends with her. Years ago I would have hugged her to console her - I always thought that is what good people do in that situation. I thought twice about it and did not as I was worried someone would freak out about it. Lots of people are definitely worried about doing things that in the past are normal, and not "creep" things but decent people things like that.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I wonder if Matt dropped trou for his dear friend Savannah

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
LOL c'mon man. If you are truly a good guy then you have nothing to worry about. Absolutely terrified to work with women? Just don't be a creep! It isn't that complicated. The stuff coming out of Hollywood is disgusting. It is pretty obviously way over the line.

You mean like leave your clothes on at work. Don't go around using your status to get women in to bed. Simple stuff like that.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think he is overstating it, but there are things to be concerned about even if you are a good guy. Just yesterday I had a woman who works directly for me crying because of a personal problem. I am friends with her. Years ago I would have hugged her to console her - I always thought that is what good people do in that situation. I thought twice about it and did not as I was worried someone would freak out about it. Lots of people are definitely worried about doing things that in the past are normal, and not "creep" things but decent people things like that.
You could have asked her if a friendly hug would help.

I get what you're saying, though. Some of the lab rats that have worked for me over the years have stayed all four years. When they came to my office to say goodbye before graduation, I would ask if I could give them a hug. Despite the fact that I look like everyone's grandma...it's just appropriate to ask first.

• Agree
Reactions: diaclone and Angie

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Hey, my wife doesn't complain when I send her pics. Pays off that night at at least a 33% rate.

You mean like leave your clothes on at work. Don't go around using your status to get women in to bed. Simple stuff like that.

What if my clothes just tend to randomly fall off at inopportune times? Gravity and all that.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
See, but the thing is that you do likely interact with people like these. I think that, if you polled almost every woman on the board, they would have a story of sexual harassment or assault in their history.

This is NOT to say that women are the only victims. They just traditionally are victimized more as part of a male-dominant society.
I'd add to your point is that we all have interacted with people like these. We just may not know it, but it happens in our churches, our schools, our businesses, every organization that we are a part of. I'm glad this is getting exposed, and it is time for men to learn how to really treat women as equals, as partners, as friends, and not as objects. I'd say from kindergarten forward every female has been treated as some point in her life poorly just because of her gender.

Good post, Angie, good post.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I am all for watching the dirtbags get what’s coming to them. But it’s almost as if accusations = proof now which is a scary concept.
Remember, these work-related situations are not in a court of law. Businesses can pretty much do whatever they want. It just has taken a looonnngg time for organizations to step up and hold male employees accountable.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
My first thought is always "why are people getting fired based on complaints/accusations" as I still feel we need to remember innocent until proven guilty (although my heart goes out to the people who have been sexually violated/abused if guilty) but reading further, sounds like it was a repeated pattern of behavior. He was their highest paid employee....but good riddance if that's what he was doing.
I doubt that someone is getting fired just "based on complaints/accusations." A business is not a court of law and as I posted just a bit ago, a business can do what it wants pretty much. When an accusation occurs and it is reported to HR, they do their research. Remember too, that most of the time HR isn't there to protect workers, but protect the business itself. What we are seeing is just a tip of the iceberg. It's about time.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I think that there will likely be situations where the management of a company overreacts and lets someone go based on the current climate. If the NYT were investigating this one, there was probably a bit more to it though.
No, they won't overreact.

For years, companies have "underreacted" to such complaints, hence women were afraid for their jobs, their families, their own safety.

Don't get caught up in this "overreact" bs just because the playing field is getting leveled. We have a long way to go.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No, they won't overreact.

For years, companies have "underreacted" to such complaints, hence women were afraid for their jobs, their families, their own safety.

Don't get caught up in this "overreact" bs just because the playing field is getting leveled. We have a long way to go.

Undoubtedly some will in this type of climate, though I don’t disagree with the rest of what you said from up there on your high horse.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and TykeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron