UNI vs. ISU - thoughts/predictions?

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
I mean... he's only 11 months removed from ACL surgery... so...
I should have been more specific ... He seemed slowed and a bit cautious compared to how he played against Iowa. My thought was, why play so much against Alcorn St? Get it iced and rehab it for UNI and beyond.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My thoughts / things to watch: (UNI Fan, here)
1. I like the series. Never thought I’d say that, but I do. I’d prefer a Home-Home with ISU. Also a Home-Home-DesMoines would be good. I think it’s fun to have fans from all 4 teams

2. Wiggington will be fun to watch. He will be well defended, of course. Hopefully we can frustrate him. McCloud will be all over him.

3. Will ISU double-team Koch inside? We’ve seen both. UNLV did not - Koch scored 30. UT-Arlngtn did, and while Koch scored 3 Carlson scored 24. Koch’s weaknesses have been fouling and passing out of the double team. He’s working on both and those will be keys for a UNI win.

4. UNI Defense - It seems to be working. ISU will adjust in the second half and do better, but I expect the first half to be stifling.

5. Wyatt Lohaus has played 28 minutes in the last year. He says he’s healthy and is working on getting back into the game. Wyatt has played - and won - a lot in the WFA. So it is a great place for him to get going again.

6. 3-poit shooting is interesting to watch. McCloud, Haldeman, Pickford, Carlson, Brown, and WLohaus could each shoot 50% - or 20%. The great thing is that UNI does something we’ve never done before - rebound.

7. Drake vs. South East Iowa University - Of course we all want to see Drake win, right? Fran going berserk would be icing on the cake. Sherman Dillard will, of course, be on hand to restrain him.

8. As. UNI fan, I’m obviously hopeful to beat ISU AND for ISU to keep improving and for both to be NCAA tourney teams this year.

Prediction:
Halftime: 30-23 UNI
Final: 65-60

I'm not a huge fan of Lohaus and his game but he will definitely be a nice addition when he's at full strength. Haldeman can really shoot the ball

• Agree
Reactions: UNIPantherFan

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Jacobsen has had our number a lot regardless who was our coach. Not going to lie, I don't like this game, never have. Seems like its always a big time struggle, even when we've had real good experienced teams. Hate to agree with your prediction, but I think we'll have to hear after the weekend how UNI is the best team in the state. But at least it doesn't usually indicate what success follows for the rest of the season.
Very true. I have made no secret that I am not yet on board with Prohm on here. I very much hope I am wrong. However, this seems like the perfect spot for a more experienced coach/program that knows their identity and will stick to it. This is no way means the rest of the season is down the tubes. Just don't see ISU winning unless they go lights out from 3 or shoot well beyond their 3 point %. We shall see.

• Dislike
Reactions: ProhmDate

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Very true. I have made no secret that I am not yet on board with Prohm on here. I very much hope I am wrong. However, this seems like the perfect spot for a more experienced coach/program that knows their identity and will stick to it. This is no way means the rest of the season is down the tubes. Just don't see ISU winning unless they go lights out from 3 or shoot well beyond their 3 point %. We shall see.

Really?

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
I'm currently convinced that those taking digs at Prohm's coaching ability don't know much about the sport of basketball.
I would respectfully disagree. I think it is all there. Murray State and Iowa State has shown he is slow to make adjustments both in games and in seasons and he has already admitted as much in interviews.
What I find interesting is that anyone that disagrees with a coach is considered ignorant, until we all go nuts and want them fired. There were Paul Rhoads backers until the very end, even though folks wanted to seem him go earlier than he did. Those that wanted to make a change were also, "ignorant" and other shots at those folks, such as, not "all in" on the program but looks like they were correct.
You can have your opinion on him. Not sure if you think he is really good, average, or will become legendary, but I haven't seen it yet.
I would be happy to discuss strategy and X's and O's if that makes you feel more comfortable in my position.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for playing but 'No Cigar' - At worst this is a coaching draw. Not sure that CSP expected to make ISU defensive minded, maybe better than they had been but I think his strength is on the offensive end. Also, UNI won't control every part of this game. They may well control pace but every other area is a toss up. And the game is a toss up.

ISU 76
UNI 73

2 OTs
I do believe he was supposed to come in and put a real emphasis on defense, something people wanted more of from Hoiberg. When he did try to slow the pace, the offensive flow was disrupted and often times sloppy for a team that was used to playing loose and free.
Watching this season, it is clear that they are not focused on defense to keep games low scoring. They are getting back to up and down game plan. Give Prohm credit for making this change, even if it hurt the clones last year. Let's see if they can handle a slow down pace with quality bigs, because I don't see it.
Lastly, not sure how anyone can say these coaches are even. Jacobsen and UNI have an identity that has worked through out the years and have given Iowa and ISU fits. To say Prohm is on his level at this stage in careers is just untrue.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If ISU is forced by UNI to shoot a lot of 3's and they hit on their season average of .374 they would be scoring over 1.1 points per possession which in a low scoring affair is probably a good chance for victory.

UNI is averaging 67.6 possessions a game. At that rate ISU would be in the 70's if they hoisted a 3 every possession and just hit at their season clip.

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
If ISU is forced by UNI to shoot a lot of 3's and they hit on their season average of .374 they would be scoring over 1.1 points per possession which in a low scoring affair is probably a good chance for victory.

UNI is averaging 67.6 possessions a game. At that rate ISU would be in the 70's if they hoisted a 3 every possession and just hit at their season clip.
Can't argue with that. My point is that the UNI defense and slower pace might make ISU uncomfortable. A team that is young, perhaps antsy if they aren't run and gun. Again, it will be up to Prohm to make adjustments and a good offensive scheme to counter. My money is on Jacobsen and UNI controlling the game and making it difficult for ISU to score.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I do believe he was supposed to come in and put a real emphasis on defense, something people wanted more of from Hoiberg. When he did try to slow the pace, the offensive flow was disrupted and often times sloppy for a team that was used to playing loose and free.
Watching this season, it is clear that they are not focused on defense to keep games low scoring. They are getting back to up and down game plan. Give Prohm credit for making this change, even if it hurt the clones last year. Let's see if they can handle a slow down pace with quality bigs, because I don't see it.
Lastly, not sure how anyone can say these coaches are even. Jacobsen and UNI have an identity that has worked through out the years and have given Iowa and ISU fits. To say Prohm is on his level at this stage in careers is just untrue.

So you want the team to do everything?

Was it OK for them to hold Tyler Cook to 2 points?

UNI was 14-16 last year. You want the kind of a season as long as there's the same identity every season?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yes. Do I have to wait for a coach to have 5 bad years of 20 loses to say I am not of fan of him? Why is that an issue?

I guess I don't see why you aren't a fan of him. He has the highest winning percentage of any ISU coach ever and if he wins Saturday he'll move into top 10 all time in wins in just over two seasons.

I mean I guess I could see if you are worried about the future and his ability to sustain the success after Fred's guys left but between Wigginton this year and what we are bringing in next year I think that is even a stretch at this point.

Prohm went to a Sweet 16 his first year and won a Big 12 Tournament and made it to the second round his second season all while having his team playing it's best in March. If you aren't on board with what he did his first two years I don't know what to tell you

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
So you want the team to do everything?

Was it OK for them to hold Tyler Cook to 2 points?

UNI was 14-16 last year. You want the kind of a season as long as there's the same identity every season?
I am just repeating the rhetoric that was given when he was hired. I have seen that a slower paced, defensive minded team struggles on offense and it cost them games. You put a faster pace in play, similar to Fred and the team plays better. Hence, one can conclude he hasn't changed a lot since Fred. This is fine, but I don't not trust him enough to make in game adjustments to win games against good teams in pressure spots.

UNI is like Iowa football. They aren't going to get 4-5 star kids. Some years are rebuilding because lost seniors or what not, but they always seem to know who they are and how to play their game. ISU and Iowa always struggle with UNI and this year seems like a UNI squad that will challenge for an NCAA tourney birth.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
I guess I don't see why you aren't a fan of him. He has the highest winning percentage of any ISU coach ever and if he wins Saturday he'll move into top 10 all time in wins in just over two seasons.

I mean I guess I could see if you are worried about the future and his ability to sustain the success after Fred's guys left but between Wigginton this year and what we are bringing in next year I think that is even a stretch at this point.

Prohm went to a Sweet 16 his first year and won a Big 12 Tournament and made it to the second round his second season all while having his team playing it's best in March. If you aren't on board with what he did his first two years I don't know what to tell you
There are easy arguments that can be countered. He inherited one of the best ISU teams in history, with 2-4 NBA players and 2-3 the following year to date. I am not interested in winning percentage, especially over a short span because of the cupcakes that are played in college basketball. I am more interested in big games.

I am impressed with his recruiting classes and hope he succeeds in the future, but I don't understand why it is ok to give him a pass in games that should've been better. In an interview with the Ames Tribune after the Purdue game, he actually said he was waiting before switching anything up. He waited a whole half to change any part of his game plan. He said he didn't know what was the problem.That is the height of below average coaching and I think he has yet to prove he can do it.

Again, I hope I am wrong, but I will not just jump on board and say he is great, just because he is the current coach.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There are easy arguments that can be countered. He inherited one of the best ISU teams in history, with 2-4 NBA players and 2-3 the following year to date. I am not interested in winning percentage, especially over a short span because of the cupcakes that are played in college basketball. I am more interested in big games.

I am impressed with his recruiting classes and hope he succeeds in the future, but I don't understand why it is ok to give him a pass in games that should've been better. In an interview with the Ames Tribune after the Purdue game, he actually said he was waiting before switching anything up. He waited a whole half to change any part of his game plan. He said he didn't know what was the problem.That is the height of below average coaching and I think he has yet to prove he can do it.

Again, I hope I am wrong, but I will not just jump on board and say he is great, just because he is the current coach.

Big games? He's won at Allen Field house, won a Big 12 Tournament Title and has a winning record in the NCAA Tournament.

Do you think any coach at ISU has been good because Fred lost to UAB with 4 NBA players on the roster...

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Big games? He's won at Allen Field house, won a Big 12 Tournament Title and has a winning record in the NCAA Tournament.

Do you think any coach at ISU has been good because Fred lost to UAB with 4 NBA players on the roster...
You make a good point. Although, we know BDJ had issues and probably disrupted that team and its chemistry in a way it didn't need.
I'll give you that ISU won in AFH, but I would suggest that folks not be happy with the idea that their coach in the round of 32 said, he "was waiting" to make a change and "didn't know" why things weren't working. I would ask everyone at least acknowledge this is poor coaching and game management. Especially in the ncaa tourney.

• Disagree

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You make a good point. Although, we know BDJ had issues and probably disrupted that team and its chemistry in a way it didn't need.
I'll give you that ISU won in AFH, but I would suggest that folks not be happy with the idea that their coach in the round of 32 said, he "was waiting" to make a change and "didn't know" why things weren't working. I would ask everyone at least acknowledge this is poor coaching and game management. Especially in the ncaa tourney.

Did you think Fred was a good coach? What did he say after the first round loss with one of the most talented rosters we've ever had?

• Agree