Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I am most likely going to have to go back out to Virginia in a while in order to get the old house ready to sell. There are still pictures and a couple of mirrors to move and mom has a ton of clothes still in closets. My sisters should be able to help with that. I just didn't have time to do everything. Plus I had the new house packed with boxes that need to be gone through before bringing more stuff over.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I am most likely going to have to go back out to Virginia in a while in order to get the old house ready to sell. There are still pictures and a couple of mirrors to move and mom has a ton of clothes still in closets. My sisters should be able to help with that. I just didn't have time to do everything. Plus I had the new house packed with boxes that need to be gone through before bringing more stuff over.

@BoxsterCy is an old hand at this, IIRC..........

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yep both my 15 yo daughter and 11 yo son are very much addicted to it, but we set limits on play time.
My son's schoolwork had been suffering so we kicked him off for 3 days. Evidently some big event (maybe a meteor strike) may have happened in Fortnite world a couple of days ago and he had to miss it. We've also set limits on the playtime.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to get the hate today...bring it on!

Can't, got my mellow on today. Been sitting on the deck drinking coffee and getting a sunburned stomach. Off to buy wine before Surdyk's wine sale expires* and than go for a lake bike ride. All day mellow.

*Don't own an SUV or pickup and per the Ford car thread I am sure the the Audi cargo capacity will severely restrict my purchase. :rolleyes:

Reactions: wxman1

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@BoxsterCy is an old hand at this, IIRC..........

House and decades of contents? Ain't nobody got time for that!

444.gif

Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
FedEx and UPS just arrived at the same time in front of my house. Literally both dudes walking up my sidewalk together. My wine glasses and Samsung auxiliary battery, FTW.

Running the Map My Ride app during bike trips is sucking battery life, figured I'd get a backup to plug into for longer summer rides.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Any of you with teenagerish-aged children getting to deal with Fortnite. It is such an addiction with kids and all of the boys play it way too much.

We have avoided it so far. The oldest asked for it this week, hubby was out of town so I deferred until he gets home. My thought is we don't need it.

So I stopped into US Cellular today because I need a new phone. Got text/email that it is Customer Appreciation Days, prices were supposed to be lower. The phone I am looking at is $4/month cheaper. Wow, great deal. :confused:And when the sales guy told me my kids could help me figure the phone out (would be switching from Samsung to Apple) I about laughed out loud. Gee, thanks. Give me a little credit, would you?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So last night I had a dream. My kinda crazy, old aunt that's in a retirement home bought a great big house. We were helping her move in, the house was pretty messy and we noticed a couple of mice running around. The cats caught the mice but then the mice turned into crickets which, once again, the cats caught. I went into the kitchen to get a paper towel to pick the dead crickets up off the carpet and realized that the paper towel holder was really high. I had to step up on my tippy toes to reach the paper towels. This is when I realized that I was in a dream (because nobody would put their paper towel holder that high in real life) but this dream continued. Pretty soon, the cats had caught about a dozen crickets and set them in a pile in the living room. I grabbed another paper towel to pick up the crickets but now the crickets started coming back to life. That's when I woke up. A random thoughts thread seemed like as good of a place as anywhere to post this.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
We have avoided it so far. The oldest asked for it this week, hubby was out of town so I deferred until he gets home. My thought is we don't need it.

So I stopped into US Cellular today because I need a new phone. Got text/email that it is Customer Appreciation Days, prices were supposed to be lower. The phone I am looking at is $4/month cheaper. Wow, great deal. :confused:And when the sales guy told me my kids could help me figure the phone out (would be switching from Samsung to Apple) I about laughed out loud. Gee, thanks. Give me a little credit, would you?
I don't mind my son playing some Fortnite. He does actually communicate with friends via headset and they work together as a team. The price is really low. The game itself was practically free. He did get an add-on thing that cost something like $10. However, once he starts playing, it's tough to get him to stop. My daughter has let us know that our son is by no means the worst of the bunch when it comes to how much he plays it. One friend recently had his two boys take a full week sabbatical from the game.

As a fairly tech-savvy person, you certainly won't need much help figuring out how an Apple phone works. It's pretty intuitive. However, if you've never dealt with it before, iTunes is kind of a nightmare.

Reactions: Cybirdy

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
@Angie I have a Friday OT idea if it hasn't been pitched. How has Google fixed your life? It seems you can google just about anything. This week I couldn't get the Dish remote to work with one of the TVs downstairs. I had to re-word my Google question a couple times but got it figured out (the kids had accidentally turned the channel, it was on the channel for the TV1 remote. Just had to turn it to the correct channel and we were back in business). We also figured out how to fix our old van's sliding doors for $1000s cheaper than taking it in (that one was not an easy fix, but my dad and BIL took it on. Whoever bought our van got a bonus screwdriver inside the door :D)

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't mind my son playing some Fortnite. He does actually communicate with friends via headset and they work together as a team. The price is really low. The game itself was practically free. He did get an add-on thing that cost something like $10. However, once he starts playing, it's tough to get him to stop. My daughter has let us know that our son is by no means the worst of the bunch when it comes to how much he plays it. One friend recently had his two boys take a full week sabbatical from the game.

As a fairly tech-savvy person, you certainly won't need much help figuring out how an Apple phone works. It's pretty intuitive. However, if you've never dealt with it before, iTunes is kind of a nightmare.

I work off my iPad 99% of the time, usually only use my phone when I am out of the house/without wifi. Although I'm sure there are things I will have to ask my oldest. It will just be easier since both kids have iPhone (well one is not activated as a phone but she can still text if she is on wifi at school or at friends' houses). My parents also have iPhones/mini iPad that they travel with and easier to text using iMessage when they are traveling.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@Angie I have a Friday OT idea if it hasn't been pitched. How has Google fixed your life? It seems you can google just about anything. This week I couldn't get the Dish remote to work with one of the TVs downstairs. I had to re-word my Google question a couple times but got it figured out (the kids had accidentally turned the channel, it was on the channel for the TV1 remote. Just had to turn it to the correct channel and we were back in business). We also figured out how to fix our old van's sliding doors for $1000s cheaper than taking it in (that one was not an easy fix, but my dad and BIL took it on. Whoever bought our van got a bonus screwdriver inside the door :D)

I love this! The next couple of weeks are full, as I have backups filling in while I'm out of the country, so is it okay if I use it that third Friday in May?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So last night I had a dream. My kinda crazy, old aunt that's in a retirement home bought a great big house. We were helping her move in, the house was pretty messy and we noticed a couple of mice running around. The cats caught the mice but then the mice turned into crickets which, once again, the cats caught. I went into the kitchen to get a paper towel to pick the dead crickets up off the carpet and realized that the paper towel holder was really high. I had to step up on my tippy toes to reach the paper towels. This is when I realized that I was in a dream (because nobody would put their paper towel holder that high in real life) but this dream continued. Pretty soon, the cats had caught about a dozen crickets and set them in a pile in the living room. I grabbed another paper towel to pick up the crickets but now the crickets started coming back to life. That's when I woke up. A random thoughts thread seemed like as good of a place as anywhere to post this.

Sounds like too many burritos right before bedtime.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee
Status
Not open for further replies.