Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I love this! The next couple of weeks are full, as I have backups filling in while I'm out of the country, so is it okay if I use it that third Friday in May?

It doesn't matter when to me. Just something I was thinking of as I was so proud of myself for figuring it out. I'm sure if hubby was home he would have known, but who needs them.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Neither do I and I might as well not even bother to look it up. I suck at all forms of video games.

After some quick Googling (@Cybirdy OT idea), it appears to be a first-person shooter. I've never really liked first-person shooters. It doesn't appear to be anything special or innovative. Maybe it has a really good social media presence.

Reactions: Cybirdy

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
After some quick Googling (@Cybirdy OT idea), it appears to be a first-person shooter. I've never really like first-person shooters. It doesn't appear to be anything special or innovative. Maybe it has a really good social media presence.

The difference between it and most fps games is the speed of play.
In Fortnite:
A: Once you die you die no respawns.
B: The map progressively gets smaller to hem all remaining players into a ever smaller area so this gets each round over with quicker and makes camping more difficult.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have no idea what Fortnite is and the kids haven't asked for it. They may be too young, 10 and 8.

I'm in the know because my 10 year old really likes it. It's a big deal right now because a lot of celebrities are playing it.

It is a first person battle royale style game. You can play 1 vs 100 or on teams of 5.

The big thing is that it's actually a FREE game. You should be able to download it to your system or laptop. It's a shooter, but not overly bloody and has a more cartoony kind of feel.

I personally stink at it, because those that are good at it are able to kill me really quickly, but the kids are digging it for sure.

Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The difference between it and most fps games is the speed of play.
In Fortnite:
A: Once you die you die no respawns.
B: The map progressively gets smaller to hem all remaining players into a ever smaller area so this gets each round over with quicker and makes camping more difficult.

Sounds like it's for people with no attention span.

It also doesn't appear to be on Android yet which is probably why I've never heard of it until now.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
After some quick Googling (@Cybirdy OT idea), it appears to be a first-person shooter. I've never really liked first-person shooters. It doesn't appear to be anything special or innovative. Maybe it has a really good social media presence.
That's a multiplayer game, but pretty much every single player FPS or third person today consists of killing like 1,000 bad guys over the course of the game. It's getting old. There needs to be more puzzle and strategy in games.

• Winner
Reactions: SCyclone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm in the know because my 10 year old really likes it. It's a big deal right now because a lot of celebrities are playing it.

It is a first person battle royale style game. You can play 1 vs 100 or on teams of 5.

The big thing is that it's actually a FREE game. You should be able to download it to your system or laptop. It's a shooter, but not overly bloody and has a more cartoony kind of feel.

I personally stink at it, because those that are good at it are able to kill me really quickly, but the kids are digging it for sure.

People who enjoy first-person shooters are the "jocks" of gamers.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Sounds like it's for people with no attention span.

It also doesn't appear to be on Android yet which is probably why I've never heard of it until now.

There's a mobile version, but I think you have to have an invite for it? Not sure.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
That's a multiplayer game, but pretty much every single player FPS or third person today consists of killing like 1,000 bad guys over the course of the game. It's getting old. There needs to be more puzzle and strategy in games.

Lots of games exist that have this and are not fps. They don't get a lot of publicity because a lot of people who play games don't want to think. They use it as a way to shutoff their brain for a while.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Lots of games exist that have this and are not fps. They don't get a lot of publicity because a lot of people who play games don't want to think. They use it as a way to shutoff their brain for a while.

I guess I'm just the opposite.....I like games that challenge me, and (hopefully) increase my brain power. Also trying to head off dementia for as long as possible.

Now waiting for @jcyclonee's clever rebuttal.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I mean shooter and puzzle together. For example, I like the new Tomb Raider series, the first 2 games were great, however the puzzle stuff was optional and there wasn't that much of it. The new one that is coming out is supposed to be more puzzle oriented and less focused on killing bad guys. I'm the opposite, I like to think, I want something to solve.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I guess I'm just the opposite.....I like games that challenge me, and (hopefully) increase my brain power. Also trying to head off dementia for as long as possible.

Now waiting for @jcyclonee's clever rebuttal.
I don't have a clever rebuttal. I turn 50 on Monday, have a torn ACL and am definitely feeling the weight of my own mortality. Also, I came up with a list of 11 things I need to accomplish this weekend. All of which will take a minimum of a half-hour and that's before I even look at my wife's honey-do list. There's no time for sleep but I guess that's OK because if I go to sleep I'll probably just have another gross cricket dream. That last rapture/apocalypse thing that was supposed to happen on about April 18 did not come through for me. This one was supposed to be real. Now I'm just going to let dementia slowly creep in on me. Stay off my... whatever you call that grass area in front of my house!

On a side note, my parents house is having some issues with the foundation. Do you know anybody that does that kind of work?

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I mean shooter and puzzle together. For example, I like the new Tomb Raider series, the first 2 games were great, however the puzzle stuff was optional and there wasn't that much of it. The new one that is coming out is supposed to be more puzzle oriented and less focused on killing bad guys. I'm the opposite, I like to think, I want something to solve.

The Legend of Grimrock II which came out a few years ago is pretty good. Looks of thinking to get through it but still with combat.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I definitely prefer strategy games over "who can push their button the fastest" games.
So you're saying you have a slow hand. This is now how I picture G.
And+now+ladies+and+gentlemen+mr+conway+twitty+_c4a02dc61dbcbf4aa65e838fe70b8d05.jpg

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I don't have a clever rebuttal. I turn 50 on Monday, have a torn ACL and am definitely feeling the weight of my own mortality. Also, I came up with a list of 11 things I need to accomplish this weekend. All of which will take a minimum of a half-hour and that's before I even look at my wife's honey-do list. There's no time for sleep but I guess that's OK because if I go to sleep I'll probably just have another gross cricket dream. That last rapture/apocalypse thing that was supposed to happen on about April 18 did not come through for me. This one was supposed to be real. Now I'm just going to let dementia slowly creep in on me. Stay off my... whatever you call that grass area in front of my house!

On a side note, my parents house is having some issues with the foundation. Do you know anybody that does that kind of work?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.