CF is getting its own beer

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I like IPA's as much as the next guy. But for fall I'd go with something more malty.

I like Brown Ales, but that isn't very sexy. Also like Scotch Ale or Wee Heavy or even Milds.

A very well made Marzen or Maibock or Vienna Lager could be appropriate, depending on the brewery.

Which brewery??? In Ames you have Alluvial (excellent), Torrent (Good and CF members), and Olde Main (established, I guess?)

• Informative
Reactions: FarmClone

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
All of this clamoring for a red is making me sick. Our school colors are CARDINAL and GOLD. Not red. Call me a traditionalist, but I don't know if I can support a red beer when our school color is clearly CARDINAL.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
If you want to please most folks, then a golden ale or an amber is something most people can enjoy.

I like stouts, porters, brown ales, and bocks. I am not an IPA guy, but I know others like that style.

Since there is such a variety of drinkers on the site, a golden ale or amber ale makes sense to me.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They seem to be making a comeback, but definitely agree on being good tailgate beers.

Madhouse does a really nice honey pilsner. Not too sweet, drinks well in the summertime. Not much of a cold weather beer, though. And that's the problem with picking just one beer for football season. What I'd want to drink at a tailgate in early September is not the same thing I'd want in late October or early November.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Don't try to be too cool and please the beer snobs. They rank up there with all of the amazingly annoying people in the world.

KISS...keep it simple stupid. Do a lighter lager or pilsner. They are easy to drink, they would be perfect for a tailgate, and it would sell. Get fancy with a beer that is in the 6% range and you'll have a bunch of beer sitting in the refrigerator. Have the alcohol content in the 4% range and it would fly off the shelves and in our fat bellies.

Know your audience. There is a reason there is an Iowa State website called Wide Right and Natty Light.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Don't try to be too cool and please the beer snobs. They rank up there with all of the amazingly annoying people in the world.

KISS...keep it simple stupid. Do a lighter lager or pilsner. They are easy to drink, they would be perfect for a tailgate, and it would sell. Get fancy with a beer that is in the 6% range and you'll have a bunch of beer sitting in the refrigerator. Have the alcohol content in the 4% range and it would fly off the shelves and in our fat bellies.

Know your audience. There is a reason there is an Iowa State website called Wide Right and Natty Light.

Thanks, I think?

That being said, I will drink just about anything and always have Busch Light in the fridge. However, if given the choice, I would take a pseudoSue or other craft juicy IPA over the macro stuff any day, any time.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
If it's Reclaimed Rails, my office loved the Rail Ryeder when I brought back a couple crowlers.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

You make good points but the reason the website is call Wide Right and Natty Light has more to do with Mizzou's drinking habits than the Iowa State fanbase.

DKp9x1dVoAEGDxm.jpg

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This is awesome! I agree that a bavarian style would be good. Marzen, pils, dunkel, hefe.
Also a fan of saisons