ISU Student and Champion Golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena Murdered at Coldwater Golf Course

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I haven't read thru all this thread, but I just wanted to say the same thing I said in the Mollie Tibbets thread.

Teach your kids to fight and defend themselves. They will probably never need it. But everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings, and know how to defend themselves. That's men and boys too. Doesn't matter if martial arts, a taser, concealed carry, pepper spray, whatever. Something that works for you. And you need to practice.

I'm a martial arts guy, and last night I taught 15 kids how to destroy a knee with a side kick. Simple as heck and even the little ones can do it. And yes, Celia was on my mind.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I haven't read thru all this thread, but I just wanted to say the same thing I said in the Mollie Tibbets thread.

Teach your kids to fight and defend themselves. They will probably never need it. But everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings, and know how to defend themselves. That's men and boys too. Doesn't matter if martial arts, a taser, concealed carry, pepper spray, whatever. Something that works for you. And you need to practice.

I'm a martial arts guy, and last night I taught 15 kids how to destroy a knee with a side kick. Simple as heck and even the little ones can do it. And yes, Celia was on my mind.
bjj here and both of my kids as well.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Btw, I’m glad the acquaintance told the police and everything after the fact, but POS told him he had an urge to rape and kill a woman and he just shrugged and went about his day?? How do you not report something like this? The report sure made it sound like he wasn’t surprised.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU and Dormeezy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah but there's a sickness to defending someone who committed a crime of that magnitude.
Our system doesn't work if even the repulsive criminal isn't afforded the same opportunity to defend ones self. Our system is based upon having competent legal counsel. I get that it is not pleasant, but there are lawyers who believe this so strongly that they willingly provide that service so our system works for everyone.

I wouldn't be able to do it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Btw, I’m glad the acquaintance told the police and everything after the fact, but POS told him he had an urge to rape and kill a woman and he just shrugged and went about his day?? How do you not report something like this? The report sure made it sound like he wasn’t surprised.

I'm sure homeless people hear **** like this all the time. The troubling part is he seemed to know he meant it.

That and the people who got this knife, while they handed it over, didn't do anything? The whole thing is a mess.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Our system doesn't work if even the repulsive criminal isn't afforded the same opportunity to defend ones self. Our system is based upon having competent legal counsel. I get that it is not pleasant, but there are lawyers who believe this so strongly that they willingly provide that service so our system works for everyone.

I wouldn't be able to do it.

Amazing that it's 2018 and this still needs to be said.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have relation that grew up in the same town he was from and one of them was actual in the same class as he was. They said he was a jerk, jack***, and troublemaker back then even.

I still have to believe this was premeditated. He lived in a tent nearby, he knew the layout, and probably even knew when she golfed there as she golfed a ton at Coldwater.

I feel so bad for her family, friends, acquaintances, Iowa State and the Ames community for having this tragedy happen and put them in the national news for the wrong reason. Just a very sad situation for all right now. I also feel bad that I don't even own a yellow ISU shirt anymore. :(

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have relation that grew up in the same town he was from and one of them was actual in the same class as he was. They said he was a jerk, jack***, and troublemaker back then even.

I still have to believe this was premeditated. He lived in a tent nearby, he knew the layout, and probably even knew when she golfed there as she golfed a ton at Coldwater.

I feel so bad for her family, friends, acquaintances, Iowa State and the Ames community for having this tragedy happen and put them in the national news for the wrong reason. Just a very sad situation for all right now. I also feel bad that I don't even own a yellow ISU shirt anymore. :(

I don't know about all that. I think she was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't know about all that. I think she was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't think so. It was a golf course at 10 in the morning during a weekday. She was a college student with likely a pretty set schedule and if I had to bet, considering she was entering the second stage of Q school, she probably had a practice schedule as well and I'm betting he had a pretty good idea that she would be there then. Whether that means he had noticed her a week ago or a couple months ago, who knows, but I would guess this wasn't the first time he had seen her out there alone.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think so. It was a golf course at 10 in the morning during a weekday. She was a college student with likely a pretty set schedule and if I had to bet, considering she was entering the second stage of Q school, she probably had a practice schedule as well and I'm betting he had a pretty good idea that she would be there then. Whether that means he had noticed her a week ago or a couple months ago, who knows, but I would guess this wasn't the first time he had seen her out there alone.
At the same time she encountered a threesome of elderly gentlemen who let her play through. If they hadn't, she would have likely been 10-15 minutes or even more behind where she was. If he knew she would be along, it is unlikely he knew precisely when.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Yeah but there's a sickness to defending someone who committed a crime of that magnitude.

I think the sickness is in that we don't teach civics in this country anymore, so we lack a basic understanding of the benefits of an adversarial system like we have in the USA vs. the inquisitorial system that breads fascism.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Well, it's a sickness that's sort of enshrined in the constitution. Correction: Technically, it's the Bill of Rights.

I've actually met one of the people who defended James Holmes. She worked with my ex who's a public defender. She seemed like a fine lady :)

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I hope they play the spanish national anthem Saturday

You know, that crossed my mind too. I'm guessing not, just because it seems like there's already a lot to cram into that 15 minutes before kickoff, but it would be a nice touch.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt