ISU Student and Champion Golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena Murdered at Coldwater Golf Course

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Follow up on this, ISU Womens Golf account tweeted this out as well. Please help this family out, even if its just a couple dollars

I appreciate the effort to allow people to donate, but wouldn't a gofundme be much easier and raise more $$$??

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Earlier I posted the course layout from the course webpage. I now attached the google earth image of Coldwater and labeled the holes. I wanted to get a broader picture of the surrounding areas of the course. Guessing homeless camp is along squaw creek.

Attachments

• coldwater google earth2.jpg
    coldwater google earth2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 164

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I appreciate the effort to allow people to donate, but wouldn't a gofundme be much easier and raise more $$$??

And some people don’t like go fund me because it takes a cut.

But you're in luck. The guy that runs the parody Matt Campbell twitter has a go fund me and the proceeds will be sent to thd official account.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Another young woman attacked and stabbed to death by a random man. WTF is wrong with people?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ct-columbia-jogger-stabbed-arrest/1367134002/

I know we could probably post something like this every day, or many on random gun violence. But stabbing an innocent woman just seems so personal and heinous. idk, not sure I will get over this CBA killing anytime soon and I have two daughters at ISU right now.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Just got home from the vigil tonight on central campus. Really great turnout. Her pastor spoke as did her professor, coach, several friends and it finished up with her boyfriend speaking. He closed telling about always saying "I love you" to your family and friends and said that he said that to her before she left to golf on Monday which made me lose it.

I never knew her personally but after hearing these stories tonight from those that knew her best in a way I feel like I do know her.

Glad for him that he said it that last time. The whole thing is horrible, but at least he doesn't spend the rest of his life wishing he'd said it that time.

• Useful
Reactions: sadam

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Earlier I posted the course layout from the course webpage. I now attached the google earth image of Coldwater and labeled the holes. I wanted to get a broader picture of the surrounding areas of the course. Guessing homeless camp is along squaw creek.

That view actually cuts off the location of the 9th teebox where it occurred. KCCI showed some coverage that showed essentially where investigators continued to look for additional clues afterward, essentially directly adjacent to the teebox.
Celia.jpg Celia2.jpg

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
There’s not much can be done from overhearing a statement like that. But my biggest concern is that he showed up covered in blood, water, and sand and his friend (apparently at The Grove apartment) let him shower and wash his clothes but didn’t call the police. Even with visible scratches and a large wound on his hand and yet the friend didn’t call 911. Then friends were driving him back to Jefferson. THIS is what I’m so completely lost on.
Birds of a feather. They didn't want to drop him off back at his camp due to the large police presence. Hmm, wonder what they were worried about.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I'm doing contract work at the DOT and every time I drive here, I realize how close I was to where it all went down and feel sick inside. Plus I'm 90% sure I saw this POS at the Hy-Vee on Grand 30-45 days ago. Just disgusts me to no end.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I'm doing contract work at the DOT and every time I drive here, I realize how close I was to where it all went down and feel sick inside. Plus I'm 90% sure I saw this POS at the Hy-Vee on Grand 30-45 days ago. Just disgusts me to no end.

My understanding was he was arrested passed out for pubic intox at a Hyvee prior to all this happening.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I understand a defense lawyer making sure that a person gets a fair trial but, at least as I understand it in Michigan, after a lawyer passes the bar exam they take an oath to seek justice. I have a hard time reconciling seeking justice with seeking loopholes or fabricating doubt to get their guilty client free or substantially reduced charges.

I've done some criminal defense work and interned for the Public Defender's Office during law school. I will say it is at times difficult. You see innocent people hurt and you do feel for them.

With that said, you also see the absolute abundance of power law enforcement and prosecutors have. They have broad discretion in whom they charge, how they charge them and what penalty they seek. Just in the Des Moines Metro in the last year or two you've seen instances of blatant profiling and a case where they've planted evidence on a defendant. There's also abundant overcharging where they charge people with crimes they could not possible prove only to give them a "deal" by negotiating them down.

They have advantages that just about any criminal defendant does not have. They have the backing of the State of Iowa at their disposal. Just take a look at the staffing of a County Attorney against a Public Defender.

So I always looked at myself as a check on prosecutorial power. I figured that if you made them do their job, and do their job well, it would only benefit the system as a whole.

With that said, there's a reason I don't practice in that anymore. It does take a special type of personality.

RolandRocket

Apr 11, 2006
Roland, IA

The “camp” is just across the creek to the north of where hole 14 fairway starts. You can see the open area in the trees in the attachment.

If you play golf early in the spring or late in the fall when there are no leaves on the trees, you can see it while playing hole 14.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I've done some criminal defense work and interned for the Public Defender's Office during law school. I will say it is at times difficult. You see innocent people hurt and you do feel for them.

With that said, you also see the absolute abundance of power law enforcement and prosecutors have. They have broad discretion in whom they charge, how they charge them and what penalty they seek. Just in the Des Moines Metro in the last year or two you've seen instances of blatant profiling and a case where they've planted evidence on a defendant. There's also abundant overcharging where they charge people with crimes they could not possible prove only to give them a "deal" by negotiating them down.

They have advantages that just about any criminal defendant does not have. They have the backing of the State of Iowa at their disposal. Just take a look at the staffing of a County Attorney against a Public Defender.

So I always looked at myself as a check on prosecutorial power. I figured that if you made them do their job, and do their job well, it would only benefit the system as a whole.

With that said, there's a reason I don't practice in that anymore. It does take a special type of personality.
Yeah, I was an intern at a prosecutor's office in law school and loved it. I couldn't be a defense attorney, but public defenders are saints. They are overworked, underpaid, and take the jobs no one else wants.

I'd also be interested to hear from @IsUaClone2 and others about these "loopholes" because I feel like most if not all of them actually have pretty good reasons for existing. Loophole implies that there's a gap and I don't necessarily think that's true

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think the sickness is in that we don't teach civics in this country anymore, so we lack a basic understanding of the benefits of an adversarial system like we have in the USA vs. the inquisitorial system that breads fascism.

FYI replied to a similar retort with this to clarify. This isn't about not understanding how the justice system works.

If I'm a defense lawyer and I'm in a case that involves a murder and it's clear as day that it happened and how it happened, I'd have a hard time having any kind of conscience to come up with a way to give them less time, etc.

Which is why I'm not a lawyer.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
New details emerge from the court documents...

The social media account, which agents suggested belonged to him, showed a publicly viewable photo updated in July that depicted a comic of a person holding a filled coffee cup with a caption “let’s go commit a murder.” The person was depicted adding milk to the coffee with another caption that investigators said read “let’s contemplate a murder.”

According to an acquaintance, Richards said he had an “urge to rape and kill a woman” several days before the murder.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...golfer-celia-barquin-arozamena-173333000.html

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The accused killer in CBA's murder will be tried in my hometown of Decorah, Iowa, according to the Ames Trib. A change of venue was requested by the accused's legal team, arguing that Central Iowa would not provide an impartial jury. The state proposed Webster County. For now, the trial is scheduled for SEPT 10. The Winneshiek County Courthouse does a pretty good job from what I can tell.

https://www.amestrib.com/news/20190...vWFVziIQ3uDCvSOzSwCcDoNEEkLdzaxfuapCXVibvjT5c

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY