ISU Student and Champion Golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena Murdered at Coldwater Golf Course

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, it's a sickness that's sort of enshrined in the constitution. Correction: Technically, it's the Bill of Rights.

I've actually met one of the people who defended James Holmes. She worked with my ex who's a public defender. She seemed like a fine lady :)

I get it--it's part of who and what we are.

But if I'm a defense lawyer and I'm in a case that involves a murder and it's clear as day that it happened and how it happened, I'd have a hard time having any kind of conscience to come up with a way to give them less time, etc.

Which is why I'm not a lawyer.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Btw, I’m glad the acquaintance told the police and everything after the fact, but POS told him he had an urge to rape and kill a woman and he just shrugged and went about his day?? How do you not report something like this? The report sure made it sound like he wasn’t surprised.

There’s not much can be done from overhearing a statement like that. But my biggest concern is that he showed up covered in blood, water, and sand and his friend (apparently at The Grove apartment) let him shower and wash his clothes but didn’t call the police. Even with visible scratches and a large wound on his hand and yet the friend didn’t call 911. Then friends were driving him back to Jefferson. THIS is what I’m so completely lost on.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Anyone else having a tough time shaking this? Obviously I hate hearing stories like this, but this one just really seems to dig deep at me

Yes. Mainly because of how senseless and random it was, and that a shining star with so much potential and personality has been lost. Add on the Cyclone angle and it is overwhelming.

Women shouldn't have to golf in a pack, jog in a pack, walk across campus in a pack...….

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Not spending thousands of dollars a year on him for the next 50-70 years would be a benefit to society. Not to mention not having to potentially deal with him when he comes up for parole/early release for good behavior.

Not saying that the death penalty is the answer, but I can see the benefit in a case like this.

The problem with putting someone to death is quite expensive too.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Came across this in this article from KCCI if you want to help the family out
https://www.kcci.com/article/world-...tate-student-celia-barquin-arozamena/23325342

"A memorial fund has been established in her honor. Those wishing to donate can make checks payable to the Remembering Celia Memorial Fund and directed to First National Bank on 405 Fifth St. in Ames. The money collected will be directed to her family to be used to honor her memory."

Reactions: Doc and IASTATE07

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You know, that crossed my mind too. I'm guessing not, just because it seems like there's already a lot to cram into that 15 minutes before kickoff, but it would be a nice touch.

The Spanish anthem can be played in ~1:00. Star Spangled Banner is ~1:20.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Came across this in this article from KCCI if you want to help the family out
https://www.kcci.com/article/world-...tate-student-celia-barquin-arozamena/23325342

"A memorial fund has been established in her honor. Those wishing to donate can make checks payable to the Remembering Celia Memorial Fund and directed to First National Bank on 405 Fifth St. in Ames. The money collected will be directed to her family to be used to honor her memory."
Follow up on this, ISU Womens Golf account tweeted this out as well. Please help this family out, even if its just a couple dollars

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just got home from the vigil tonight on central campus. Really great turnout. Her pastor spoke as did her professor, coach, several friends and it finished up with her boyfriend speaking. He closed telling about always saying "I love you" to your family and friends and said that he said that to her before she left to golf on Monday which made me lose it.

I never knew her personally but after hearing these stories tonight from those that knew her best in a way I feel like I do know her.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I read this and couldn't help but tear up last night. My heart hurts for her family.

Mother of murdered Iowa State star golfer Celia Barquín Arozamena laments daughter's 'bad luck'
"He was just going out with the goal of killing ... and he came across my girl," the golfer's mother said of the man accused of killing her daughter."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...e-star-golfer-celia-barqu-n-arozamena-n911191

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cyfan1998

Sep 19, 2018
I don't think so. It was a golf course at 10 in the morning during a weekday. She was a college student with likely a pretty set schedule and if I had to bet, considering she was entering the second stage of Q school, she probably had a practice schedule as well and I'm betting he had a pretty good idea that she would be there then. Whether that means he had noticed her a week ago or a couple months ago, who knows, but I would guess this wasn't the first time he had seen her out there alone.
I think this guy was waiting for the first female he could find alone; whether that being on the golf course or bike path. He was basically hunting for a victim
It's kind of ****** that I worked with this guy 2 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: IsUaClone2

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I read this and couldn't help but tear up last night. My heart hurts for her family.

Mother of murdered Iowa State star golfer Celia Barquín Arozamena laments daughter's 'bad luck'
"He was just going out with the goal of killing ... and he came across my girl," the golfer's mother said of the man accused of killing her daughter."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...e-star-golfer-celia-barqu-n-arozamena-n911191
My gosh that is tough to read.

Pollard's press conference also had some onions in the room.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
As much as I don't like it, they're just doing their job. If proper procedure wasn't followed it isn't the lawyer's fault.
I understand a defense lawyer making sure that a person gets a fair trial but, at least as I understand it in Michigan, after a lawyer passes the bar exam they take an oath to seek justice. I have a hard time reconciling seeking justice with seeking loopholes or fabricating doubt to get their guilty client free or substantially reduced charges.

• Dislike
Reactions: WooBadger18

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I understand a defense lawyer making sure that a person gets a fair trial but, at least as I understand it in Michigan, after a lawyer passes the bar exam they take an oath to seek justice. I have a hard time reconciling seeking justice with seeking loopholes or fabricating doubt to get their guilty client free or substantially reduced charges.

I mean...what? Are you serious?