Where would you rank Prohm far as big 12 coaches go.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
So your opinion and "rational conclusion" void of any emotion is that NWB is a complete idiot and complete moron? And who is..........."you guys"? And why would an ISU fan say something like that to another ISU fan?
Are you upset?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
In the middle of all this love for other coaches, did anyone point out that Kruger's last three teams have struggled immensely come league play? That his Final 4 team only went 12-6 in league play? That his Final 4 team got beat by freaking 44 points? That he couldn't figure out how to adjust once teams started swarming Trae Young?

Anybody mention that Dixon's TCU team lost 7 in a row to end the B12 season two years ago and fell into the NIT (which they won).

That Huggins struggled his first two years in the B12 and only started winning after his change in philosophy?

I think this is a grass is greener situation where people are holding Prohm to a different standard than the other guys. Even proven guys have struggled. This has been a very difficult league.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
In the middle of all this love for other coaches, did anyone point out that Kruger's last three teams have struggled immensely come league play? That his Final 4 team only went 12-6 in league play? That his Final 4 team got beat by freaking 44 points? That he couldn't figure out how to adjust once teams started swarming Trae Young?

Anybody mention that Dixon's TCU team lost 7 in a row to end the B12 season two years ago and fell into the NIT (which they won).

That Huggins struggled his first two years in the B12 and only started winning after his change in philosophy?

I think this is a grass is greener situation where people are holding Prohm to a different standard than the other guys. Even proven guys have struggled. This has been a very difficult league.

This. Ask Texas fans if they would still take Shaka for Barnes. Every team but ku is going to have highs and lows, look at WVU this year. If you would fire Huggy for this one season, you would be an idiot.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Matt Thomas, Burton, Shayok, and Nick Weiler-Babb. Naz, as well. Jacobsen.

Prohm’s real development test will come with Conditt, Haliburton, and Griffin.

How could anyone think this is funny? Nader is a rotational player on a playoff team, who would have seen that when Prohm got here? Naz has a two way contract, playing in the league, who saw that from him? Same for Deonte, he was a tweeter.

Matt Thomas is playing in the top league in Spain, who would have thought that after his sophomore year? DJack is making money overseas.

Monte’s rise speaks for itself, he will tell you he benefited from playing for prohm.

Players have improved here from playing for this staff.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Not going to even attempt to rank the coaches....too subjective of a task.

I do know Coach Prohm is an honorable man that puts the interests of his players and my university above all. He represents ISU with class, has embraced the history and former players, and wants his teams to add to that history in a positive way.

All these knee jerk reactions and piling on is really not what I expect from Cyclone fans.....20 wins and headed to the tourney just sucks after finishing last in the league last year....

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This. Ask Texas fans if they would still take Shaka for Barnes. Every team but ku is going to have highs and lows, look at WVU this year. If you would fire Huggy for this one season, you would be an idiot.
I don’t really think most Texas fans would care to have Barnes back. Just look at what Barnes did there after KD left in 2008. Shaka is pretty much having the exact same success. I don’t think if Rick Barnes had stayed they would be a top 5 team right now. They’d probably just be average like they are now. Texas and Rick needed a fresh start. Texas just didn’t make the right replacement. That’s just nit picking one instance though.

We still need to see how Prohm can finish this year and what next year will look like. If he can win the next 2, that would be pretty much the same as most of our teams the past decade.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

I think when you take your alma mater to a Final 4 you are granted a few down years here and there.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
How could anyone think this is funny? Nader is a rotational player on a playoff team, who would have seen that when Prohm got here? Naz has a two way contract, playing in the league, who saw that from him? Same for Deonte, he was a tweeter.

Matt Thomas is playing in the top league in Spain, who would have thought that after his sophomore year? DJack is making money overseas.

Monte’s rise speaks for itself, he will tell you he benefited from playing for prohm.

Players have improved here from playing for this staff.

Yeah, Matt and Deonte both had the potential and pedigree, but neither had lived up to it by the time Prohm got here. Matt was coming off a pretty disappointing sophomore season. Nader was the same way, but not as highly regarded. Naz transformed from himself from a 3-point shooter to a guy who was also great at scoring at the rim. Monte was given the reigns to the team and prospered.

Most of the credit goes to the players for improving, and Wigginton hasn't developed like I wanted this year, but it's difficult to say that Prohm has been subpar when it comes to player development.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I don’t really think most Texas fans would care to have Barnes back. Just look at what Barnes did there after KD left in 2008. Shaka is pretty much having the exact same success. I don’t think if Rick Barnes had stayed they would be a top 5 team right now. They’d probably just be average like they are now. Texas and Rick needed a fresh start. Texas just didn’t make the right replacement. That’s just nit picking one instance though.

We still need to see how Prohm can finish this year and what next year will look like. If he can win the next 2, that would be pretty much the same as most of our teams the past decade.

This statement is subjective and I would disagree.

Barnes made the NCAA's 16 of 17 years with a Final Four and 2 Elite Eights.

Shaka has made it 2 out of 3. Shaka has won 20 games once in 4 years and Barnes didn't win 20 once in 17.

I will give you that the jury is out on Shaka, but I would take Barnes' results in a heartbeat.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cant believe some of the garbage being posted in this thread. Prohm has won 20+ games all but 1 season as a head coach and has multiple players in the NBA and some guys in this current roster that likely will be too. We went from 13-18 and 4-14 rough season last year to 20-9 and 9-6 so far. Yeah we have lost some frustrating games this year but that's still a heck of a turnaround. Just look at WVU this year how quick the bottom can fall out on you in this league. Kansas is really the only school to maintain any winning consistency over the years while nearly everyone has had peaks and valleys and coaching changes.

We'll be fine Prohm is building a good program the right way and this still beats the hell out of the GMac and Morgan years.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
One bought in, one didn't?

If the 99-00 team doesn't buy in, they have more losses like Drake, and Larry looks worse than he was.

Fred may have been able to alleviate some of the issues but lowering the bar to not even make players practice can't be good for the whole group.

He may have "bought in" as you suggest or maybe he simply felt urgency of being a senior or maybe he simply had more time after earning his degree and then was taking a minimal number of insignificant grad classes that he knew he didn't have to finish.

While I do believe Abdel made obvious significant gains under (not necessarily because of) Prohm, one still can't overlook the negative impact on Jameel (Big 12 Defensive POY under Fred, borderline non-factor under Prohm).

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
One could just as easily say that Abdel took his own steps forward. We don't know the steps Abdel took on his own such as time, effort, and focus placed on ball-handling, shooting, lifting, and watching video. It's a package deal, either Prohm gets credit for both or for neither.

Oh Jesus Christ. So when players improve it’s all their doing and the coach had nothing to do with it?

You’re so full of your agenda, which is pathetic, that you will refuse to even give credit for good things done. Trying to out jere jere is a bad look. You should feel bad

McKay left buzz because he wouldn’t work either.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He may have "bought in" as you suggest or maybe he simply felt urgency of being a senior or maybe he simply had more time after earning his degree and then was taking a minimal number of insignificant grad classes that he knew he didn't have to finish.

While I do believe Abdel made obvious significant gains under (not necessarily because of) Prohm, one still can't overlook the negative impact on Jameel (Big 12 Defensive POY under Fred, borderline non-factor under Prohm).

Whatever fits your angle.

Jameel was back this past November for a game and CSP announced him...must have been positive in the long run. One could argue his DPOY since he actually struggled with on-ball defense and his best asset was swatting.

Forgot to mention Matt Thomas. His time under CSP was great. Never quite 'found it' under Fred but that was probably Steve's fault too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Whatever fits your angle.

Jameel was back this past November for a game and CSP announced him...must have been positive in the long run. One could argue his DPOY since he actually struggled with on-ball defense and his best asset was swatting.

Forgot to mention Matt Thomas. His time under CSP was great. Never quite 'found it' under Fred but that was probably Steve's fault too.

Jameel had a tweet earlier this year that was very positive towards Prohm. Obviously, Jameel and Prohm had their issues, but it seems that Jameel realized that it was for the best.

Fred was able to make not holding players accountable work. And that's great. But there's nothing wrong with holding players accountable.

• Agree

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Jameel had a tweet earlier this year that was very positive towards Prohm. Obviously, Jameel and Prohm had their issues, but it seems that Jameel realized that it was for the best.

Fred was able to make not holding players accountable work. And that's great. But there's nothing wrong with holding players accountable.

I assume when you say Fred didn’t hold players accountable you mean that he didn’t have McKay participate in practice every day after he complained of being injured. I understand the story I just didn’t know we were using it as a blanket statement that Fred was able to make not holding players accountable work.

Are there other circumstances where Fred didn’t hold players accountable outside of Jameel’s injury/non injury and practice.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I assume when you say Fred didn’t hold players accountable you mean that he didn’t have McKay participate in practice every day after he complained of being injured. I understand the story I just didn’t know we were using it as a blanket statement that Fred was able to make not holding players accountable work.

Are there other circumstances where Fred didn’t hold players accountable outside of Jameel’s injury/non injury and practice.

There were lots of reports of BDJ not having to practice. To be clear, I don't give a **** because it clearly worked for Fred.

But I also can understand a new coach not having the same view.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Cant believe some of the garbage being posted in this thread. Prohm has won 20+ games all but 1 season as a head coach and has multiple players in the NBA and some guys in this current roster that likely will be too. We went from 13-18 and 4-14 rough season last year to 20-9 and 9-6 so far. Yeah we have lost some frustrating games this year but that's still a heck of a turnaround. Just look at WVU this year how quick the bottom can fall out on you in this league. Kansas is really the only school to maintain any winning consistency over the years while nearly everyone has had peaks and valleys and coaching changes.

We'll be fine Prohm is building a good program the right way and this still beats the hell out of the GMac and Morgan years.
Wow, I can't believe I am reading a cyclone fan quoting the Hackeyes "doing it the right way" Pretty sure that is what Hawkettes said when we were rolling with Fred and they were struggling with Fran.

• Dislike