Pollard: big announcement coming soon

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Law and financial offices and such included for the Monday through Friday office hours?

Retail is a tough business, and people don't shop in stores like they used to.

No nail salons? Every strip mall seems to have one, but I hope this does not become a fancy strip mall.

The upgraded parking and the bridge sell it all for me.

I assume they will want bigger donations from all of us.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Students want to go where there are lots of people. Cheap isn't as big of a deal as it was back in the day. I suspect this would put a dent in Campustown popularity if the bars were updated and had plenty of space. Students and adult fans can intersect. You see it in every major college town. Campustown looks like a bar scene from one of the Iowa Conference schools, just with way more students.

College kids will still want cheap drinks. I agree this will pull some traffic, but a lot of students will still hit up Welch and surrounding area. I doubt (and hope) this new plaza will have big dance clubs with cheap drinks lol

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
First, this is a really cool concept for space and I love how forward-looking the University and AD are being here.

JP mentioned retention of current successful coaches. Could there be a way he is going to get MC ownership in this outside of the AD so MC has more skin in the game so to speak? JP mentioned on the radio that it will probably be a land lease, which means someone will own the building, that building could be owned by a group of people (obviously), but what if the AD leases the land, and JP, MC, some other real estate people own the buildings and then lease to the tenants.

or it could be just as easy as, the AD needs the land to be profitable, and the land leases will provide additional cashflow to the AD. The AD then can pay more for coaches, or players if we are moving in that direction.

Also, I remember there being some crazy retirement vehicle in MC's contract where they were holding several $100ks of per year, it is possible a vehicle like that could be invested in a property like this.

Also, I am not talking anything shady, it can all be above board, but still benefit the people we want it to benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
College kids will still want cheap drinks. I agree this will pull some traffic, but a lot of students will still hit up Welch and surrounding area. I doubt (and hope) this new plaza will have big dance clubs with cheap drinks lol

I think these places will be forced into competition with Campustown for student business just to level demand. They may be jumping for football and bball gamedays, but what about every other night of the year? You literally have thousands of college students across the street. Are you going to sit around half empty, or are you going to roll out specials and promos to try and pull students to fill the place up on off nights? I think drawing a good amount of student traffic will be critical if a business is going to succeed here.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I think these places will be forced into competition with Campustown for student business just to level demand. They may be jumping for football and bball gamedays, but what about every other night of the year? You literally have thousands of college students across the street. Are you going to sit around half empty, or are you going to roll out specials and promos to try and pull students to fill the place up on off nights? I think drawing a good amount of student traffic will be critical if a business is going to succeed here.
They could run a few trolleys back and forth every evening. Wash out the puke at the end of the day, keep all the change they sweep up.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I am really curious what the feasibility report will look like.
I have no idea on the specific market factors of Ames but I am very optimistic. Several times in the last 20 years developers have wanted to build a massive mall along I35 in Ames similar to Jordan Creek Towncenter. Due to issues of a recession in the economy, lack of needed utilities to the area, and as of late the demise of shopping malls the project never took off. This tells me there is a market in Ames and along the I35 corridor for something of this nature.

This project proposed by ISU on the other hand its not necessarily in the form of a mall but an entertainment district with shops and restaurants included that will have an immediate customer base..ISU alumni and fans. It could still face challenges of taking off due to the economy but all other detractors above would be addressed with this project. It's honestly brilliant and if they are able to pull it off could set the new standard for colleges everywhere.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
This new development won't sit well with the hok fan. I see them turning green with envy. Mask-03.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There's no way this is announced without being 85% a sure thing in that form.
Really? Does anyone remember the announced plans for a practice facility and office building connected to Hilton? How about the practice facility and other offices under the SEZ?

I'm sure they have a good idea that they can do something. However, this is an idea that will have to be fleshed out taking into consideration the market and what the AD/University can afford to do.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
First, this is a really cool concept for space and I love how forward-looking the University and AD are being here.

JP mentioned retention of current successful coaches. Could there be a way he is going to get MC ownership in this outside of the AD so MC has more skin in the game so to speak? JP mentioned on the radio that it will probably be a land lease, which means someone will own the building, that building could be owned by a group of people (obviously), but what if the AD leases the land, and JP, MC, some other real estate people own the buildings and then lease to the tenants.

or it could be just as easy as, the AD needs the land to be profitable, and the land leases will provide additional cashflow to the AD. The AD then can pay more for coaches, or players if we are moving in that direction.

Also, I remember there being some crazy retirement vehicle in MC's contract where they were holding several $100ks of per year, it is possible a vehicle like that could be invested in a property like this.

Also, I am not talking anything shady, it can all be above board, but still benefit the people we want it to benefit.

Campbell has said at a charity event that it's in annuities that he can't touch until mid 60's. And I think the number was much higher than 100 k's per year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have no idea on the specific market factors of Ames but I am very optimistic. Several times in the last 20 years developers have wanted to build a massive mall along I35 in Ames similar to Jordan Creek Towncenter. Due to issues of a recession in the economy, lack of needed utilities to the area, and as of late the demise of shopping malls the project never took off. This tells me there is a market in Ames and along the I35 corridor for something of this nature.

This project proposed by ISU on the other hand its not necessarily in the form of a mall but an entertainment district with shops and restaurants included that will have an immediate customer base..ISU alumni and fans. It could still face challenges of taking off due to the economy but all other detractors above would be addressed with this project. It's honestly brilliant and if they are able to pull it off could set the new standard for colleges everywhere.

Its also worth noting, while ames has continued to steadily grow, its opportunities for new commercial growth areas are rather low due to the obstacles in play (various waterways, etc). Its either something like this or take old properties and demolish them to build something with more density (as is being done on lincoln way). Duff is pretty well built out, if not overbuilt.

Being able to launch a new area almost right in the middle of town would seem to make this pretty valuable.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Really? Does anyone remember the announced plans for a practice facility and office building connected to Hilton? How about the practice facility and other offices under the SEZ?

I'm sure they have a good idea that they can do something. However, this is an idea that will have to be fleshed out taking into consideration the market and what the AD/University can afford to do.

As far as projects proposed under Jamie- that practice facility still happened, we just happened to find an even better solution to accomplish it for less cost and in a better location for the athletes.

From what i remember, that was more of a grand 'master plan' that JP released a year or two after he got to ISU as well. It was a lot more aspirational and a lot less fleshed out than this seems to be as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As far as projects proposed under Jamie- that practice facility still happened, we just happened to find an even better solution to accomplish it for less cost and in a better location for the athletes.

From what i remember, that was more of a grand 'master plan' that JP released a year or two after he got to ISU as well. It was a lot more aspirational and a lot less fleshed out than this seems to be as well.
Okay...

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If this goes forward, tenants should be lining up for a space. Put in a movie theater, Starbucks, a brew pub, a burger place, a pizza place or two, a sports bar, a couple niche bars (axe-throwing/pickle ball/arcade), a bar with live music, a BBQ place, a sports apparel store, HyVee or Fareway (somewhere for students to get basic food supplies and tailgating things that were forgotten), liquor store, smoothie place, maybe a DQ or an ice cream specialty shop.

You'd have a place that students could utilize year round, plus a decent place for the 25-40 year-old crowds as well.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Lot of great Ideas, I think if you can get some form of an adult arcade/bar with the ax throwing, mini bowling, shuffle board, bags, pool tables, other "adult arcades" would be great.
The brewery or tap house option is good, a wine tasting place, the women love.

I mean how great would it be to say hey lets go up with friends to Cy's plaza and the guys can go to the Tap house and the girls can go to the wine house, especially on those watch party type days.

I honestly don't think they can build this fast enough.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
As many people as I have seen get injured from just walking, dancing or sitting in a bar because they had one...or ten too many, I just can't see how pairing alcohol and axe throwing would be a good idea.

Fine. We can add an Urgent Care. Problem solved

And a jail. Gotta have a place to hold all of the murderers of Iowa band members.

Last edited:

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
As many people as I have seen get injured from just walking, dancing or sitting in a bar because they had one...or ten too many, I just can't see how pairing alcohol and axe throwing would be a good idea.

Horrible of me to think, but this could be really fun to watch from afar. Seeing fake lumberjack hipsters hit each other with axes. Now that would be a fun time. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt