Pollard: big announcement coming soon

440justin

Sep 11, 2019
It is a cool idea, and I am sure lots will change before it becomes a real project. This is similar to what the Packers have just done with Title Town next to the stadium and I must say it is a pretty cool experience on a game day.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody heard what Chris Winkleblack thinks about this? You know, the first guy to make a serious proposal for a $100 million development to bring something major to the area between Lincoln Way the tracks that would include housing for people who want to live near Main Street. We are 29 pages in and nobody has talked about the impact of this project on the other project.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Anybody heard what Chris Winkleblack thinks about this? You know, the first guy to make a serious proposal for a $100 million development to bring something major to the area between Lincoln Way the tracks that would include housing for people who want to live near Main Street. We are 29 pages in and nobody has talked about the impact of this project on the other project.
Why would it be of concern to Cyclone Fanatic?
Hopefully they’ll help each other as Lincoln Way and Ames have room for a lot of redevelopment, but if this hurts Hunziker’s project, that’s fine too.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
As many people as I have seen get injured from just walking, dancing or sitting in a bar because they had one...or ten too many, I just can't see how pairing alcohol and axe throwing would be a good idea.
Put a hok photo as the target. Lots of people will be happy to toss a sharp object.

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A full grocery store no, but one of their smaller 'fast n fresh' concepts could do alright.

Agreed. It wouldn't need to be very big, but it would potentially get a lot of foot traffic for people that want to grab a bite to eat and then pick up a few things before heading home. It's proximity to RCA and the Greeks could also work if the prices were reasonable. Then for football games, they could load up on tailgating supplies and run specials.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agreed. It wouldn't need to be very big, but it would potentially get a lot of foot traffic for people that want to grab a bite to eat and then pick up a few things before heading home. It's proximity to RCA and the Greeks could also work if the prices were reasonable. Then for football games, they could load up on tailgating supplies and run specials.

That and if it had a starbucks in it like some of them do, it could be a quick stop off for some on their way to campus.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
A full grocery store no, but one of their smaller 'fast n fresh' concepts could do alright.

It sucks when you run out of free-range kale during a tailgate. Would be nice to have an option nearby
vauEUgn.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm hearing it's all Auto Parts Stores and Mattress stores
Everyone knows that the S. Duff Mattress/Autoparts vortex has a strong gravitational force that any autoparts or mattress stores that they try to put in the new development will simply get sucked over to S. Duff.

I'd love for their to be both in the new complex, but I don't make the laws of science.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Caribou Coffee closed their on campus location in anticipation of relocating to this new entertainment district... It all makes sense now!!!

In all seriousness, I really hope they put Caribou Coffee (or a hybrid Caribou Coffee/Einstein Bagels store) in this new district instead of Starbucks especially since there's a brand new Starbucks a half mile down Lincoln Way.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If this goes forward, tenants should be lining up for a space. Put in a movie theater, Starbucks, a brew pub, a burger place, a pizza place or two, a sports bar, a couple niche bars (axe-throwing/pickle ball/arcade), a bar with live music, a BBQ place, a sports apparel store, HyVee or Fareway (somewhere for students to get basic food supplies and tailgating things that were forgotten), liquor store, smoothie place, maybe a DQ or an ice cream specialty shop.

You'd have a place that students could utilize year round, plus a decent place for the 25-40 year-old crowds as well.

The option to just throw a cooler and some ice in your vehicle on game days, and buying everything else you need once you get there is very appealing to me.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The option to just throw a cooler and some ice in your vehicle on game days, and buying everything else you need once you get there is very appealing to me.

I can't imagine how long the line would be to check out at a place like that. The regular Hy-Vees are a mad house on game days.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I can't imagine how long the line would be to check out at a place like that. The regular Hy-Vees are a mad house on game days.

Yeah, I know. I thought about that possibility. Or completely running out of stuff. It would probably have to be a full size Hy Vee to be feasible, and that's probably not in the cards.

crazedstatw

Aug 6, 2016
Kudos to JP, Sanders and all those involved with this "bold vision". I really like the concept given it would enrich and extend the options one has when attending events in the greater complex area whether it be ISU sporting events, conferences, theater, etc...

The initial renderings have the new commercial buildings on the east side of the current parking lots and is located half way between Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum. The nice wide entry way that opens out onto University Blvd is out of place since it leads to no real pedestrian destination. General input I would give is to rotate the whole proposed site plan 90 degrees counter clockwise. This would locate the new commercial buildings along the south side of Center Street and also centrally extend south toward Jack Trice. This location is in close proximity and would create a greater synergy amongst the larger venues (CY Stephens, Scheman, Fisher Theater, new hotel, and Hilton Coliseum) that have events all year long. Crowds would have a quick walk to this destination to socialize immediately before or after events. The 90 degree site rotation would also allow the commercial buildings to line the central, north to south, corridor through the parking lots. The north to south corridor sees way more pedestrian flow as they access the various venues from the parking lots.

This would place the new commercial development further from Jack Trice Stadium but with only a handful of games at the stadium each year, walking the additional distance in the fall should not deter anyone. I also like seeing the wide open plazas and walkways that are in the current stadium upgrades that are also significantly expanded within this vision. In my opinion, I would like to see these areas near the stadium, that also extend north towards the proposed centralized roundabout, allow temporary vendors to set up shop to sell items such as food, craft beer, ISU merchandise, etc... This would provide an alternative to those who do not set up for tailgating but instead want to enjoy the game day experience with friends in advance of the stadium gates opening.

My suggestion is to realign/shift University Boulevard to the west, which would free up space in the existing right of way next to the park, and allow development on both sides of University. Retailers want to have visibility on a busy high traffic route.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I know. I thought about that possibility. Or completely running out of stuff. It would probably have to be a full size Hy Vee to be feasible, and that's probably not in the cards.

Or an army of Hy-Vee beverage and meat carts roaming the lots. Sell beer, burgers, paper plates, and Fireball....

Use the app to call them over to your tailgate.

Reactions: Acylum

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Or an army of Hy-Vee beverage and meat carts roaming the lots. Sell beer, burgers, paper plates, and Fireball....

Use the app to call them over to your tailgate.
Hopefully stadium and parking lot wide WIFI is part of this. At least stadium WiFi is desperately needed that many other schools already have.