Pollard: big announcement coming soon

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Fine. We can add an Urgent Care. Problem solved

And a jail. Gotta have a place to hold all of the murders of Iowa band members.
You mean to hold all the Hoks, because everyone knows they are the ones that have always caused all the problems, most of the worst offenders at Veishea were Hoks. They always come in and cause the problems then try to blame it on us.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Do these places have a dress code? Are Timberland boots and flannel required?
twin-peaks.jpg

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Campbell has said at a charity event that it's in annuities that he can't touch until mid 60's. And I think the number was much higher than 100 k's per year.

I couldn't remember the number, I should have said several $100ks per year. Sure those deferrals could be in annuities now, and future deferrals could go into an investment like this. Nothing wrong with diversification. He also has a risk of loss on those if he leaves withing a certain period of time. But I was thinking it was fairly short period of time unless it gets extended with each contract.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
The United States axe throwing championship was held in West Des Moines so I guess central Iowa is a hotbed of axe throwing. It was on one of the ESPN channels Saturday morning but didn't quite draw as much attention as gameday.

Cynergy

Dec 22, 2015
Kudos to JP, Sanders and all those involved with this "bold vision". I really like the concept given it would enrich and extend the options one has when attending events in the greater complex area whether it be ISU sporting events, conferences, theater, etc...

The initial renderings have the new commercial buildings on the east side of the current parking lots and is located half way between Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum. The nice wide entry way that opens out onto University Blvd is out of place since it leads to no real pedestrian destination. General input I would give is to rotate the whole proposed site plan 90 degrees counter clockwise. This would locate the new commercial buildings along the south side of Center Street and also centrally extend south toward Jack Trice. This location is in close proximity and would create a greater synergy amongst the larger venues (CY Stephens, Scheman, Fisher Theater, new hotel, and Hilton Coliseum) that have events all year long. Crowds would have a quick walk to this destination to socialize immediately before or after events. The 90 degree site rotation would also allow the commercial buildings to line the central, north to south, corridor through the parking lots. The north to south corridor sees way more pedestrian flow as they access the various venues from the parking lots.

This would place the new commercial development further from Jack Trice Stadium but with only a handful of games at the stadium each year, walking the additional distance in the fall should not deter anyone. I also like seeing the wide open plazas and walkways that are in the current stadium upgrades that are also significantly expanded within this vision. In my opinion, I would like to see these areas near the stadium, that also extend north towards the proposed centralized roundabout, allow temporary vendors to set up shop to sell items such as food, craft beer, ISU merchandise, etc... This would provide an alternative to those who do not set up for tailgating but instead want to enjoy the game day experience with friends in advance of the stadium gates opening.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Kudos to JP, Sanders and all those involved with this "bold vision". I really like the concept given it would enrich and extend the options one has when attending events in the greater complex area whether it be ISU sporting events, conferences, theater, etc...

The initial renderings have the new commercial buildings on the east side of the current parking lots and is located half way between Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum. The nice wide entry way that opens out onto University Blvd is out of place since it leads to no real pedestrian destination. General input I would give is to rotate the whole proposed site plan 90 degrees counter clockwise. This would locate the new commercial buildings along the south side of Center Street and also centrally extend south toward Jack Trice. This location is in close proximity and would create a greater synergy amongst the larger venues (CY Stephens, Scheman, Fisher Theater, new hotel, and Hilton Coliseum) that have events all year long. Crowds would have a quick walk to this destination to socialize immediately before or after events. The 90 degree site rotation would also allow the commercial buildings to line the central, north to south, corridor through the parking lots. The north to south corridor sees way more pedestrian flow as they access the various venues from the parking lots.

This would place the new commercial development further from Jack Trice Stadium but with only a handful of games at the stadium each year, walking the additional distance in the fall should not deter anyone. I also like seeing the wide open plazas and walkways that are in the current stadium upgrades that are also significantly expanded within this vision. In my opinion, I would like to see these areas near the stadium, that also extend north towards the proposed centralized roundabout, allow temporary vendors to set up shop to sell items such as food, craft beer, ISU merchandise, etc... This would provide an alternative to those who do not set up for tailgating but instead want to enjoy the game day experience with friends in advance of the stadium gates opening.
I think it’s critical that main commercial hub be close (closet) to JTS. It will need to be sized to accommodate football crowds, a size that would feel dead during small traffic from most basketball games and conventions. Hilton’s end should probably a secondary, smaller hub centered on the connected indoor space that helps act as a conductor between campus and JTS/this development.

This area will benefit from the year round indoor events, but the pillar of the development is monetizing the fan experience imo. Winter modulation is going to occur regardless. More closely integrated into JTS would have 6 or 7 outstanding weeks of over 60k in the fall to build social capital and traditions.

I agree though, details will be much more important on this than anything JP has done

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Anyone worried (I'm not sure if that's the right word) about this taking away from Campustown needs to realize Campustown is really ******* lame compared to almost every P5 college entertainment scene

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone worried (I'm not sure if that's the right word) about this taking away from Campustown needs to realize Campustown is really ******* lame compared to almost every P5 college entertainment scene

If anything, if this prompted campustown to go through some further redevelopment that would also be a good thing.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

The problem with your idea is that it takes the parking that would be closer to Hilton in the concept renderings and pushes it another couple lots worth farther away.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013