Deon Silas Commits!

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
No one is saying "take a less talented kid from Iowa, over a more talented kid from out of state." What I am saying is that Iowa will produce on average about 7 to 10 instate P5 players a year, and frankly we are not getting enough of those players. The numbers point that out, we need to do a better job recruiting and signing the top players from the state, that can play at a high level in a P5 conference.

Campbell has done a remarkable job upgrading our recruiting over the past four years, we have moved from the mid 50's to the mid 40's, great job by him and his staff. Now lets start signing 3 out of the 5 best Iowa kids worthy of a scholarship and grow it further.
Why are you stuck on Iowa kids. Campbell has said plenty of times they will recruit Iowa kids and he has. You cant recruit an Iowa kid over a kid from Ohio or somewhere else if he isnt better. You want the best players on the team.

Reactions: demoncore1031

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why are you stuck on Iowa kids. Campbell has said plenty of times they will recruit Iowa kids and he has. You cant recruit an Iowa kid over a kid from Ohio or somewhere else if he isnt better. You want the best players on the team.

Why are you against recruiting Iowa kids, if they are just as good as a player from out of state?
If I asked that, you would be on here saying you are not, I am not stuck on Iowa kids, what I am stuck on is that we are not signing the best Iowa kids, as the numbers point out.

By signing, not just recruiting, a kid from the state, his schooling is cheaper, saves us money, and we grow the fan base here in the state. As others have said, Iowa does not produce many P5 football players per year, so when the 5 to 7 year happen, you have to get your share of them, why just concede these kids to Iowa? Because they are life long Iowa fans, all of the them? How many of the out of state kids are ISU fans, few if any, they are fans of other teams, but the staff convinces them to come to Ames, why can we not do the same to kids born here in the state?

Last edited:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Why are you against recruiting Iowa kids, if they are just as good as a player from out of state?
If I asked that, you would be on here saying you are not, I am not stuck on Iowa kids, what I am stuck on is that we are not signing the best Iowa kids, as the numbers point out.

By signing, not just recruiting, a kid from the state, his schooling is cheaper, saves us money, and we grow the fan base here in the state. As others have said, Iowa does not produce many P5 football players per year, so when the 5 to 7 year happen, you have to get your share of them, why just concede these kids to Iowa? Because they are life long Iowa fans, all of the them? How many of the out of state kids are ISU fans, few if any, they are fans of other teams, but the staff convinces them to come to Ames, why can we not do the same to kids born here in the state?
We just signed Dekkers, he is one of the top kids in the state. Look at the lineman that we have pulled in in-state. We have a very good linebacker in Hummel that is an Iowa kid. You need to quit critiquing who Campbell is recruiting. They currently have a top 25 class and 3rd in the high 12. I thinks it's safe to say this staff is doing just fine with the kids they are targeting and bringing in.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We just signed Dekkers, he is one of the top kids in the state. Look at the lineman that we have pulled in in-state. We have a very good linebacker in Hummel that is an Iowa kid. You need to quit critiquing who Campbell is recruiting. They currently have a top 25 class and 3rd in the high 12. I thinks it's safe to say this staff is doing just fine with the kids they are targeting and bringing in.

If you are happy with Iowa signing the majority of the better players year after year, great.
I think we can and need to do better in that department, that is not complaining about Campbells current class or where its ranked, just an observation.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Not to change the subject but I just saw that the Iowa recruit from Ida Grove got one of the largest ranking bumps I have ever seen. A couple of weeks ago he was like the 16th rated recruit in the state. He commits to Iowa with zero, that is right, zero other FBS offers. Not power 5 but no other FBS offers. How does that happen?

because he's from ida grove iowa

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

Vance was a good one also in Iowa's backyard

Reactions: aauummm

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Remember when Mike Rose committed and everyone was like Who the eff is mike rose? We beat out Ball State for this tall skinny white kid from the middle of ohio nobody wanted.

Starts game 1 as a true freshman and proceeds to dominate

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If you are happy with Iowa signing the majority of the better players year after year, great.
I think we can and need to do better in that department, that is not complaining about Campbells current class or where its ranked, just an observation.
Then go be an Iowa fan.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I never thought I'd see the day when we have some of the best recruiting and best talent Iowa State had ever had but then see someone b**** about not bringing in enough Iowa kids.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Then go be an Iowa fan.

How about I stay an ISU fan for over 40 years, and a season ticket holder for over 10, and we just recruit and sign instate kids better.

Somehow 4 to 13 of the top 30 in the past 6 years shows we need improvement in that area.

That is not ******** about signing enough Iowa players because they are from Iowa, its signing the best players in the state that we are located in, and not have them playing against us. Its cheaper, instate vs outstate tuition, and if you cannot control recruiting in your own state, it makes it harder to get to the top.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

There is nobody arguing against recruiting Iowa kids if they are just as good as players from out of state. In fact, people are arguing just the opposite: recruit the best players available and willing regardless of where they are from.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That 4 star kid from Ida Grove had all of zero P5 offers outside of iowa. He had someone from 24/7 fall in love with him and that's it. Our staff has zero problem handing out offers. Yet they didn't offer. Maybe the kid will end up being good, but they obviously passed on that kid. And so did everyone else.

There's a reason Iowa State didn't offer. Cooper is a life long Hawk and the OABCIG principal is Ezra Miller's dad... CMC and staff knew they didn't have a shot.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
How about I stay an ISU fan for over 40 years, and a season ticket holder for over 10, and we just recruit and sign instate kids better.

Somehow 4 to 13 of the top 30 in the past 6 years shows we need improvement in that area.

That is not ******** about signing enough Iowa players because they are from Iowa, its signing the best players in the state that we are located in, and not have them playing against us. Its cheaper, instate vs outstate tuition, and if you cannot control recruiting in your own state, it makes it harder to get to the top.
No, check overall recruiting. There is a reason this staff is better then almost everyone in the past at ISU. They have an eye for talent and just admit the fact there isnt much here in the state. I cant believe you have such a hard on for this. You cant get better if your talent isnt better.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
There is nobody arguing against recruiting Iowa kids if they are just as good as players from out of state. In fact, people are arguing just the opposite: recruit the best players available and willing regardless of where they are from.
You cant get it through this guys thick skull, he just doesnt understand how that works

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Really because reading through this thread it see a lot of, "it does not matter where they are from" ideas.

Talent is king, and ISU is not getting the best talent in the state right now. Why allow Iowa to get those 3/4 star recruits instead of ISU? The numbers speak for themselves, we need to improve in signing the best instate kids.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Maybe, I hope you are right and he never plays a down for them. Doesn't change that we are getting our ass kicked in the instate recruiting. Some here are fine with that, the ol, "we can get better kids outside the state", maybe, but its cheaper to recruit the top instate kids, instate vs out of state tuition, and it helps when you try to recruit the next group of instate kids the following season.

It's not that they aren't recruiting instate kids it's the level of interest they are initially receiving from born and raised Iowa fans. Look at the side of the state that produces the most D1 prospects. That doesn't just change in a couple of years. The staff knows who to continue to target wand where they need to just move on.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018

You act like CMC is making a choice not to recruit these kids. He's not. CMC recruits the best kids in the state but ultimately it's the kid that makes the decision whether to sign with ISU or not. You know what makes kids want to sign with a program? Consistently winning. You what Iowa has done for the last 15 years+? Consistently won. Give CMC a few more years and you will see more and more top Iowa kids play for ISU. You can't flip a switch and get the best kids from the state of Iowa. It doesn't work like that.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You cant get it through this guys thick skull, he just doesnt understand how that works

I am just tired of looking at the 247 state ranking and in the top 5 kids, we are getting one of them. You people act like its not a big deal, that they are all reaches and ISU can always find and bring in better talent out of state. That is just not true, Iowa doesn't produce a lot of P5 players, but 7 to 10 a year, we need to start getting more of them.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Really because reading through this thread it see a lot of, "it does not matter where they are from" ideas.

Talent is king, and ISU is not getting the best talent in the state right now. Why allow Iowa to get those 3/4 star recruits instead of ISU? The numbers speak for themselves, we need to improve in signing the best instate kids.

You say this like we the ISU coaches can force a kid to sign with ISU.

Talent is king, and Iowa as a state doesn't produce much of it. The ones from the state that have the profile the coaches look for and have an interest in ISU get recruited. The ones that don't, the coaches don't waste their time on.

Given your responses so far in this thread, I assume you are pissed we didn't recruit Brian Ferentz back when he was in high school since he was one of the top players in the state at the time.

Reactions: aauummm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron