AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Plus they wear black and yellow uniforms, in Ames. Idiots.

The manager was a huge Hawkeye fan. You could usually wear team apparel on gameday but Cy/Hawk gameday he said no ISU stuff was allowed and anyone who wore it would get written up and sent home to change.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Selling books back at CBS could be like a lottery. A buddy and I went to sell one of our books back and we’re in different lanes. He got around around 10-15 bucks less than I did.

I usually bought from UBS because I checked out CBS a couple times and their used books looked like they found the most destroyed books and tried to sell them for about one dollar less. My wife like to buy clothing in there when we got married, a converted Hawkeye fan, so we went there a decent amount. Did they just get too much money not to sell?

Reactions: Angie

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Floyd and Sandy, I think, unless Sandy was the accounting/bookkeeping department.
I worked there a long time ago. Nasty.

Yep, Floyd and Sandy Ballein. Floyd would walk to work everyday in shorts. He hired a nighttime watchman to patrol his yard because he was worried about former employees getting revenge.

• Haha
Reactions: cyhiphopp

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Amazon.com remember it started as a bookstore.
Yeah, I wasn’t thinking. I had no need for Amazon when it was a bookstore so I keep forgetting. Son finds some stuff on there for his classes now, several instructors are writing their own books that you have to purchase.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The Ankeny location was only open for like a year. They said it was the Ames location since Ankeny had already closed. The Ames location lasted for about 6 years. Their Chicago style was pretty good. I don’t think the owner was great at running a business, seemed friendly though.

He was a nice guy but the location sucked, and I bet the rent was sky high.

Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
CBS was where Starbucks is now. I remember the owner sending people out to look over parked cars.
Where Jeff's is was some weird **** over the years. A mellow cafe (like a low key Boheme) was there for a long time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wasn't there a pizza pit or what was the go to prior to Jeff's?

Then was it black market or something up north of Freddy that was cool for a minute

In 2003 when I started at ISU, it was Cafe Escape.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
The Ankeny location was only open for like a year. They said it was the Ames location since Ankeny had already closed. The Ames location lasted for about 6 years. Their Chicago style was pretty good. I don’t think the owner was great at running a business, seemed friendly though.
About a year before the ames location closed he tried opening a location in Perry too. That location didn't last very long.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Amazon.com remember it started as a bookstore.
When I was in my first years at iowa state there were a few times I could buy a used book on Amazon and then sell it at the bookstore for more than I paid for it after the semster. By the time I was a senior it was harder to get great deals on Amazon.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Never worked at CBS but I distinctly remember feeling like a criminal the moment I entered the door as a freshman. “BACKPACKS STAY UP FRONT.” The jerk who shouted at me gave me dagger eyes the entire time I shopped. I never went back after that.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Worked at a bank and had a Saturday off for KU vs ISU basketball game. New manager started the week before and week of the game decides my time off request was no bueno and put me on the schedule. Im a good fan and call in sick on game day to sit lower bowl to watch the Win. Showed up on Monday for work and she is shocked I show up for work even though Im explaining I was sick on Saturday. She starts to fire me but I cut her off and quit.

Fast forward a year or so and I show up for a on campus interview and its her husband doing the interview, didnt get that job.

Fast forward another couple years and my first day on the job they make new employees sit through an HR presentation. Sure as **** I walk into the boardroom and she is now working for HR for my new company. We just gave each other the **** you look, awkard few hours.

Lol I pulled a similar move at Applebee's back in the day. I asked for the ISU-KSU football game off. This was maybe 2009. It was approved on Wednesday. I got a call from my psycho PTSD ex-Marine boss on Friday night (I had already started the game weekend festivities at Sgt. Peppers (The floor at that place for FAC was a serious health hazard)) telling me to be in the kitchen at 7 a.m. on Saturday. I tried to suck it up and do my job, but I was pissed, hungover, and had a serious case of fomo. I put the tortilla chips in the fryer and walked out. I decided to donate plasma the rest of the semester.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I was a bartender at Bali Satay House. I'm sure many are familiar with the owner, Iwan. He was a character always trying to turn a buck. More than 50% of his revenue came from the restaurant, so Bali Satay was the only place that could legally let 18-20 year olds into the bar. He took full advantage charging $20 cover for hip hop night every couple Saturdays. We'd have 30-40 people waiting in line pounding on the glass to get in. Most of the football team would be there, usually a few fights would break out, a lot of girls pulling each other's hair out. We sealed the deal with a high school Leonard Johnson. He had a good time. That was a hell of a scene. I guess it wasn't a bad job as much as it was an absolute circus. I made some pretty good money there, but holy hell, never knew what you would see night to night. I honestly miss seeing some of the most random traveling regional music acts on a Wednesday.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Bali actually had decent food. IIRC they only had half of the building for a couple years then expanded West thru the wall. I think maybe after Home Team left?

Had some wild nights in there, along with MoJazz. Jackson Vroman and I got into it there one night then made amends and wanted to bring me on a motorcycle ride with him. LOL. RIP buddy.

Reactions: NWICY and Macloney

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Bali actually had decent food. IIRC they only had half of the building for a couple years then expanded West thru the wall. I think maybe after Home Team left?

Had some wild nights in there, along with MoJazz. Jackson Vroman and I got into it there one night then made amends and wanted to bring me on a motorcycle ride with him. LOL. RIP buddy.
He'd be low on my list of people to make mad at me.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron