CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
My college band played Bali Satay so many times. Iwan would never want to give us our share of the the cover but instead give us pitchers of beer. We settled for the beer until our bass player calculated we had lost over $5,000 from this "deal" over a year.

The DJ was named Adolfo is the other thing I can remember.
I went to high school with Adolfo. Nice guy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He'd be low on my list of people to make mad at me.
He was pretty WILD back then. I rolled in with some girl friends (yes, friends) and he made them a little uncomfortable. The owner came over and helped mitigate and gave us drinks. Later on that year I think Jackson drove wasted down Welch and may have hit a car.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Bali food was OUTSTANDING, but Iwan did not know how to run a bar and got some terrible advice about expanding into Home Team’s space. Ames PD was shocked when they tried to make him go 21+ and had receipts proving that less than half of his income was through alcohol sales.

So many bands brought no more than 12 people. When half were on the guest list and no one was buying alcohol, it was rough. Man I miss that place.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I worked in the soil testing lab, and as the new employee my job was to grind all the samples to dust. So basically all shift I was in a 90 degree room where the ovens baked the samples and placed the soil into a grinder.

Luckily another new employee started the day after I did and he pissed off the supervisor. Thus I got promoted to testing the ph of the soil and the new guy spent 4 months grinding soil in that oven of a room.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I worked in the soil testing lab, and as the new employee my job was to grind all the samples to dust. So basically all shift I was in a 90 degree room where the ovens baked the samples and placed the soil into a grinder.

Luckily another new employee started the day after I did and he pissed off the supervisor. Thus I got promoted to testing the ph of the soil and the new guy spent 4 months grinding soil in that oven of a room.

Was this for the DOT or for the civil engineering program?

I was a grad student in soils at ISU. We hired a freshman for summer help because his dad was a friend of the prof. Kid didn’t show up for his second day of work. When we called him he said “Oh, I didn’t know I was supposed to come every day unless you called.” He expected us to call him every morning and tell him he needed to come to work.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
My college band played Bali Satay so many times. Iwan would never want to give us our share of the the cover but instead give us pitchers of beer. We settled for the beer until our bass player calculated we had lost over $5,000 from this "deal" over a year.

Haha oh yeah Iwan getting into it with bands over pay was a weekly occurrence. He's a good guy, but he was a little in over his head when it came to running a bar/music venue.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Selling books back at CBS could be like a lottery. A buddy and I went to sell one of our books back and we’re in different lanes. He got around around 10-15 bucks less than I did.

I usually bought from UBS because I checked out CBS a couple times and their used books looked like they found the most destroyed books and tried to sell them for about one dollar less. My wife like to buy clothing in there when we got married, a converted Hawkeye fan, so we went there a decent amount. Did they just get too much money not to sell?

Oh man....walked with a girl to sell our books back.

Let her go first. She got a decent amount. My offer was around 3 bucks for the same book she sold a minute before

I was hungry so I took the money.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

Man the random crap you have to do in Ag college labs. I remember having to grind manure samples in a room that was the size of a closet with no ventilation. The one I hated the most was sorting root samples. I just remember they had a new imaging software to estimate surface area, but you had to lay out each root and fine root in a pyrex casserole dish with a solution in it. The roots couldn't overlap, so if you bumped the dish you basically had to start over. Talk about tedious.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
my first college job was at BK. When they interviewed me I had a goatee and no one said anything, but my first day they told me I had to shave it. So I quit on the spot. Shortest job I’ve ever had.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
At McDonalds I could wear a hairnet or a hat. I wore a hat most times anyhow, that was an easy one

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
This wasn't an Ames job, but I had a job in an Iowa motor home factory (not Winnebago; smaller than that) where I was a stock clerk and shipping and receiving clerk. One of my jobs was to wander the factory, looking for parts that dealers had ordered and ship them. So it might look to the casual eye like I wasn't doing anything when I was wandering the factory, talking to workers who would know where their parts were better than I would.

Well, we got a new quality control inspector, who I ran into all the time when I was out finding parts. He wasn't my boss, he wasn't anyone's boss. He was just an a$$hole. He took an instant disliking to me for some reason. It might have been because he often wandered into the stockroom, which he was not supposed to do, but was supposed to ask one of us who manned the stockroom for the part or tool or tool repair he needed. One day, when, unbeknownst to me, he wandered into the stockroom, I had to leave to get a part out in the factory to ship it off and the rule is to lock the stockroom door when you leave if you're the only one there. I didn't know he was in there, cause he snuck in and he wasn't supposed to be there, so I locked it.

I was gone maybe 10-15 minutes and when I came back, he was literally red in the face yelling, trying to climb the wire fence that surrounded the stock room. I told him as I unlocked the door that maybe that'll teach you to not sneak into the stockroom and to ask somebody for what you want next time. I was on his $hitlist from then on, even though he's the one who did something wrong.

Well, as often happens, when our plant manager retired, they promoted the a$$hole to replace him. This guy now thought he had me by the short hairs and started ordering me around, telling me to do things that were not in my job description. One thing he did not know was that he STILL was not my boss. My boss worked in the office. He was the lead salesman and CFO of the company, who took all the orders from dealers.

One day, I had a backlog of orders and I was busy trying to fill them. Some orders (like sheet metal for siding on motor homes) required me to build these long narrow boxes to pack them in. And we got a lot of orders for sheet metal because of fender benders. In the midst of all these orders, he comes up to me and orders me to do some make-work project that's not in my job description anyway. I tried to tell him I couldn't do that, because I had a backlog of orders I needed to get out. He told me he didn't give a good goddamn what I was doing. He had given me an order and he expected me to do it.

I argued with him some more and he then ordered me up to his office, where he proceeded to threaten me with my job and wrote me up. As soon as I left, I went to the office and told my boss what had happened and that his backlog of shipments would have to wait because I had been ordered to do something else that would take the rest of the day.

He got pissed. He rushed out of the office and told the plant manager that I was under no circumstances going to do the job he had ordered me to do because I was busy filling his orders. He further told him that under no circumstances was he (the plant manager) to tell me to do anything unless he ran it through my boss first, because I was his employee, not the plant manager's. The write-up was rescinded and torn up as I watched while my boss yelled, you can't write someone up for doing their job.

I was trying to hide a ****-eating grin the whole time he was loudly cussing out the plant manager

Suffice it to say, the a$$hole never bothered me again.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
my first college job was at BK. When they interviewed me I had a goatee and no one said anything, but my first day they told me I had to shave it. So I quit on the spot. Shortest job I’ve ever had.

Haha what devotion to the goat!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

I think your bass player may have had dubious math skills. Even if you were playing weekly, I don’t think any local acts were getting that much.

Adolfo, in addition to selling cars, is still DJing.