JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Worst job - worked for a company that cleaned out apartments over the summer when college students moved out. Hot, gross work. Only benefit was if stuff was left behind - the people doing the cleaning got first dibs. I upgraded a lot of my first apartment furniture that way.

Best job - working at Sam's Club. Started as a cashier and eventually was promoted to the cash office. That was a sweet gig to sit up in the office, recording hourly sales numbers and preparing deposits for pickup the next day. Didn't have to deal with customers and it paid pretty well for a part time college job!
There was a dating or married couple at Welch Ave Station that I got to quasi know as a patron. They both left, IIRC to go work at Red Lobster. He was tall and she had short black hair. They would come into WAS after their shifts at Red Lobster and talk highly of it.

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
Pizza Pit has never moved to my knowledge, it's been in the same building about 2 blocks south on Welch. Pizza Pit on the top and Welch Ave station(?) the bar on the bottom, that used to be "the Library" for many years. Pizza Pit was the go to when I was in school good always get a coupon out of the daily for a XL (?) 1 topping for 5 bucks.

I worked at PP in the early-mid 80's. GREAT Place to work for a college kid.
Yep, full page of coupons in Daily, every week. Small 1 topping - $4.99. Medium 1 topping - $5.99. Large 1 topping - $6.99. Side-note. During that era, PP was the 2nd busiest pizza delivery joint in the US.
Wasn't unusual to sell over 1 thousand pies on Sunday. Recall many a night where I and 7-8 other drivers would deliver over 100 pizzas between 4pm and 12am.
At the time, PP had a rep for "shady" drivers ("hippy, dope smoking types"). True.
Around 1984, management decided to become more corporate (goofy uniforms, no smoking dope in delivery cars, no long hair....).
Business began to erode, quickly.
Can honestly say, half of us dropped out of college, cuz we loved working at the Pit so much.
P.S. Is the walnut WELCH AVE. STATION still hanging? I burned up 3 routers making that sign!

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
What are your Ames employer horror stories?

When Campus Book Store was open I was training to be a cashier and they didn't have a POS system so every price had to be manually entered.

I sold a textbook and accidentally typed in $89.99 instead of the price of $99.99. at the time I didn't notice it but later that afternoon the buyer's parent comes in and hands the owner $10 and said he noticed his daughter was undercharged.

The owner screamed at me in front of the entire store about what kind of cheating scam I'm running. It was packed full of students buying books and I was really embarrassed. I walked out right then and there and only went back to pick up my last paycheck, which they refused to handover until my roommate's father (attorney) called and threatened a lawsuit. I think the check was $200 lol.

Anyway, I never went back in there after that. I forget her name, but the owner was not a pleasant woman.

I have many stories from CBS, I worked there the summer of 2003.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Worst Job:

Party Time.

This was a store on 3rd near Duff that sold party supplies. They also had a business setting up the large canvas tents you see at events (think Newton Speedway, some ISU events on campus, football games, etc.)

I had a shift where I spent 12 hours swinging a sledgehammer, knocking 40 inch metal tent stakes into the ground. I did work with James White, the former ISU running back, though, which was pretty neat.

One day, we were in a 15 passenger van on the way to Newton Speedway. The van had an overloaded 22 foot trailer in the back. The van had no seats or seatbelts in the back for the employees. It did, however, have a couple dozen of the metal tent stakes and a bunch of other equipment.

Long story short, the driver lost control, we jackknifed, and crashed over the median off I-80. I ended up stopping by running my head into the interior of the van. I broke my back and neck in 6 places, deflated a lung, and had a number of other injuries. I spent two weeks in the hospital and another few months recovering. I am fortunate to be alive.

Party Time went out of business and was bought by another company; I think it is called Celebrations now.

Best Job:
Rieman Music at the old downtown.

Manager, Derrick, is an awesome dude. He treats customers fairly and was incredibly easy to work with. He consistently would sell guitars for 10-20% less than the other branches, but higher management never complained because we sold such a high volume and were really profitable.

Also farmers market on Saturdays meant we got delicious food for super cheap during our shifts.

• Wow
Reactions: g4ce and NWICY

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Worst Job:

Party Time.

This was a store on 3rd near Duff that sold party supplies. They also had a business setting up the large canvas tents you see at events (think Newton Speedway, some ISU events on campus, football games, etc.)

I had a shift where I spent 12 hours swinging a sledgehammer, knocking 40 inch metal tent stakes into the ground. I did work with James White, the former ISU running back, though, which was pretty neat.

One day, we were in a 15 passenger van on the way to Newton Speedway. The van had an overloaded 22 foot trailer in the back. The van had no seats or seatbelts in the back for the employees. It did, however, have a couple dozen of the metal tent stakes and a bunch of other equipment.

Long story short, the driver lost control, we jackknifed, and crashed over the median off I-80. I ended up stopping by running my head into the interior of the van. I broke my back and neck in 6 places, deflated a lung, and had a number of other injuries. I spent two weeks in the hospital and another few months recovering. I am fortunate to be alive.

Party Time went out of business and was bought by another company; I think it is called Celebrations now.

Best Job:

Manager, Derrick, is an awesome dude. He treats customers fairly and was incredibly easy to work with. He consistently would sell guitars for 10-20% less than the other branches, but higher management never complained because we sold such a high volume and were really profitable.

Also farmers market on Saturdays meant we got delicious food for super cheap during our shifts.

Holy ****, this is terrifying.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
CookedImperturbableGallinule-size_restricted.gif

vote JM4CY

• Funny
Reactions: SaraV and JM4CY

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Worst Job:

Party Time.

Best Job:

Very lucky to survive that. 15 passenger vans are basically death-mobiles even without a trailer. I would never ride in one as they are not stable on the highway.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Worked at BWW for a few months. I had told them when I was hired that I was getting married and needed this certain time off for the wedding and honeymoon. They were ok with that at the time, but had me on the schedule when the time actually came.

I told them I wasn’t going to be there and they freaked out on me. Told me that was unacceptable and I didn’t fill out a time off request or something (didn’t even know we had those at BWW). They said I was getting written up if I missed and would be fired if I was a no call no show.

I quit on the spot. Ended up I was in negotiations for a job actually using my major and was pretty confident it would work out, it did and I haven’t been back to BWW since. Those guys were dicks.

Why would anyone expect you to skip your wedding and honeymoon to work at BWW?

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Worked at a university establishment that was run by a grad student who would frequently solicit female workers and students he taught. He was a major kiss ass to the right people and no one in power believed it. But now he is post doctoral and marrying a girl he taught in a 101 class, so got to think that opened some eyes.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I worked at PP in the early-mid 80's. GREAT Place to work for a college kid.
Yep, full page of coupons in Daily, every week. Small 1 topping - $4.99. Medium 1 topping - $5.99. Large 1 topping - $6.99. Side-note. During that era, PP was the 2nd busiest pizza delivery joint in the US.
Wasn't unusual to sell over 1 thousand pies on Sunday. Recall many a night where I and 7-8 other drivers would deliver over 100 pizzas between 4pm and 12am.
At the time, PP had a rep for "shady" drivers ("hippy, dope smoking types"). True.
Around 1984, management decided to become more corporate (goofy uniforms, no smoking dope in delivery cars, no long hair....).
Business began to erode, quickly.
Can honestly say, half of us dropped out of college, cuz we loved working at the Pit so much.
P.S. Is the walnut WELCH AVE. STATION still hanging? I burned up 3 routers making that sign!

I've come to realize that PP was a TON better back in the 80's & 90's than after that. I was at ISU in the early 2000's and never got the love for the place. Pizza was just blah in my opinion and the "deals" were never very good in comparison to the other places in town. Guessing it is mostly a nostalgia thing that keeps it on its pedestal which is cool. Sounds like it was crazy busy back in the day.

Reactions: Angie

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've come to realize that PP was a TON better back in the 80's & 90's than after that. I was at ISU in the early 2000's and never got the love for the place. Pizza was just blah in my opinion and the "deals" were never very good in comparison to the other places in town. Guessing it is mostly a nostalgia thing that keeps it on its pedestal which is cool. Sounds like it was crazy busy back in the day.

I was there early 90s and PP was terrible pizza then. Thin, greasy, "cheese" made from some kind of petroleum distillate product, crust like a damp washrag.

BUT

It was cheap af, might have been $8 for a large? Maybe 2 for $12 with a coupon?
And after a dozen or so Beast Lites, it qualified as "food".

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron