jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
i'm going to apologize to all the foundation workers i rudely shut down on the phone years ago. it seems like the moment i graduated i started getting calls from them. i let them know that me paying taxes in iowa, voting in iowa, getting a driver's license in iowa, and living in iowa year-round somehow didn't make me an iowa resident for tuition purposes, yet the moment i walked across the stage i somehow was a resident and i wouldn't be donating any money for that reason.

I'm probably older than you, so I'm guessing you didn't shut me down. I probably worked at that job for about one week.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I would like to proactively apologize to any Drunk Bus drivers on here

You were doing God's work...

I didn't do it often but I honestly had a good time doing it. I liked it.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Worst job in college ~ Working the phones at the Iowa State Foundation. I hated that job, calling people asking them for donations. I remember one night if we hit a sales goal of like $20,000 we would get to be done early or something. I hit it big getting a previous donor that donated like $40,000 every year. I got him to commit to another $40,000 but the leaders said that mine didn't count. I quit after that. Good lesson for the future ~ can't make rules and change them mid-game.

Sorry Blum (I think Blum works there?)
Hmmm. When WAS the last time I was back to campus?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It throws them for a loop (and I can hear papers rustling, keys on keyboard being clicked) when I tell them I work on campus.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I only worked at Kingland. Looking back, that job was pretty dope for a college kid. Just work 20 hours, give them a very rough schedule, they're open on Sundays if you need to finish hours, you could put in as many as you wanted, you could listen to whatever on your phone, you didn't have to clock out for lunch, the people that worked there were cool and if they weren't you could avoid them. The work was tedious, but they had the place set up to keep college kids around.
I've heard they can be a bit clicky there. Don't fit the mold, or aren't someone's favorite and you don't succeed. Had a good buddy interview there and they gave the job to the manager's kid instead of him, and stuck him with the airline flight costs to get to the interview when they said over the phone they would reimburse it. Told him to get it in writing next time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I got called once and it was the day after I picked my kid up. So saying yesterday confused them. I got one to laugh when she asked if I would donate 5k. I asked if it showed when I graduated, yep 3 months ago. I said that that is a bit much, she then apologized and said she had to go in order and asked about 2500. She sounded nice and I almost told her I’d only donate if she went out with me, but I gave 100 bucks and moved on.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Worst job in college ~ Working the phones at the Iowa State Foundation. I hated that job, calling people asking them for donations. I remember one night if we hit a sales goal of like $20,000 we would get to be done early or something. I hit it big getting a previous donor that donated like $40,000 every year. I got him to commit to another $40,000 but the leaders said that mine didn't count. I quit after that. Good lesson for the future ~ can't make rules and change them mid-game.

Agree - somehow actually worked there for about 2 months before calling it quits. Most people I got a donation from would say something like, "If I give you $50 will you never call me again". I took that every darn time!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree - somehow actually worked there for about 2 months before calling it quits. Most people I got a donation from would say something like, "If I give you $50 will you never call me again". I took that every darn time!

YEARS ago, I told them I was sick of the gd calls too, told them to send me a letter once a year and I would donate a couple hundred $$. But if they kept calling I was going to start being rude and not donating.

Sure enough, a couple months later, got a letter saying, "per your request, we are sending you this letter".

Zero calls since then, I give a couple hundred $ to the Aero Dept every year. It's like paying protection money to the mob, to prevent getting the calls. LOL.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I only worked at Kingland. Looking back, that job was pretty dope for a college kid. Just work 20 hours, give them a very rough schedule, they're open on Sundays if you need to finish hours, you could put in as many as you wanted, you could listen to whatever on your phone, you didn't have to clock out for lunch, the people that worked there were cool and if they weren't you could avoid them. The work was tedious, but they had the place set up to keep college kids around.

Similar experience out at CDS Global in Boone - place was half full of ISU students. I have nothing but good things to say about working there for 3 years, that was about a decade ago so hopefully still the case.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I had 3 jobs when I went to ISU. Hickory Park kitchen, Red Lobster kitchen and ISU foundation.
Worst - ISU foundation, easy gig but hated cold calling people asking for money.
Middle - Hickory Park... meh
Best - Red Lobster. When I worked there, it was a tight run operation. Multiple quality checks per night on the food coming out, and the kitchen was spotless at the end of every night. One of the few restaurants I've worked at and don't mind going back to eat.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Tell that to the B1G and the trolls on here. They do it all the time.

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
Worst job - worked for a company that cleaned out apartments over the summer when college students moved out. Hot, gross work. Only benefit was if stuff was left behind - the people doing the cleaning got first dibs. I upgraded a lot of my first apartment furniture that way.

Best job - working at Sam's Club. Started as a cashier and eventually was promoted to the cash office. That was a sweet gig to sit up in the office, recording hourly sales numbers and preparing deposits for pickup the next day. Didn't have to deal with customers and it paid pretty well for a part time college job!

Reactions: keepngoal

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've heard they can be a bit clicky there. Don't fit the mold, or aren't someone's favorite and you don't succeed. Had a good buddy interview there and they gave the job to the manager's kid instead of him, and stuck him with the airline flight costs to get to the interview when they said over the phone they would reimburse it. Told him to get it in writing next time.

Was in the marching band with one of the Kingland kids. They are rich AF...that's all I know.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron