WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Caught a break. Sooner game telecast Tuesday in Norman in on their ******* regional Okie Fox plus ******** Boomer channel. However, looks like Fox Sports North has picked it up (Yay for me!). Hoping Fox Sports Midwest grabs it for you Iowa peeps.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Caught a break. Sooner game telecast Tuesday in Norman in on their ******* regional Okie Fox plus ******** Boomer channel. However, looks like Fox Sports North has picked it up (Yay for me!). Hoping Fox Sports Midwest grabs it for you Iowa peeps.
I can confirm in central Iowa Mediacom will carry the OU game live on their Fox Sports HD channels 832 and 833 between 7 and 9pm Tuesday. TV commentators: Chad McKee, Brenda VanLengen.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
New AP poll. Baylor moves up one to #7. West Virginia up two to #19. Okie State with 8 votes and ISU with 1 vote in the ORV category.

Past opponent South Carolina moves to #1 and South Dakota State stays put at #24.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
New AP poll. Baylor moves up one to #7. West Virginia up two to #19. Okie State with 8 votes and ISU with 1 vote in the ORV category.

Past opponent South Carolina moves to #1 and South Dakota State stays put at #24.
How coincidental that tonight's heavyweight SC-UConn matchup is #1 vs #2 just in time.;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How coincidental that tonight's heavyweight SC-UConn matchup is #1 vs #2 just in time.;)

Well, South Carolina is 6-1 against ranked teams (ranked when they played includes us). Louisville and their soft schedule is 1-1. Louisville was mostly #1 because they were unbeaten but NET had them at #6. My top four would be SC, UConn, Stanford and Oregon. To bad the Baylor/UConn game got cancelled. With that and the Covid effects to the Bears I am not sure if they belong in the top five, pretty sure top 10 though. The have their usual good D but not sure they have the experienced offense to be top five or so.

Note To Self: Boxster, you're posting too much, go for a walkabout or something. It's warmed up to -3 and it's sunny out!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ooooh, just spied that South Carolina is at UConn at 6:00 on FS1.

Watching. Did not know that 7 of the 12 on the UConn roster are freshman. :oops:

Starting two freshman guards tonight. Bueckers and the Euro gal Muhl.

Edit: Man, is this game moving fast. 42 minutes to play the first half. Both teams are cold as ice. Letting them play with no fouls being called so game is just rolling along. Super low scoring. 24-24 on a half court shot by SC at the horn.

Edit II: UConn wins in OT. Paige Buecker doing the Paige Buecker things she used to do here in my HS school district. Gopher fans be crying watching this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This is not helping matters either:

The problem I see with Paris is she is 10 years removed from the program. A 17-year old high school student may not remember a lot of the Paris years at OU. As for Stiles, she has been out of the college game for 20 years. Recruits today were not even born when she graduated, so they have no connection to her playing years and she has no history with OU.

I do not see life getting easier for Sherri with Arkansas on the rise, Texas with Vic, TAMU, and Baylor all competing for high level players. What can she offer that is better than Arkansas, Texas, TAMU, or Baylor?

anyone who doesn’t know who Paris or Stiles are isn’t a student of the game. That’s like a college football player not knowing who any of the players are that just got voted into the hall of fame. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Shooters bounce.

I watched most of the second half. That shot, and pretty much all she took, was on the mark. And I really loved watching both teams go back and forth on baskets, rebounds, switching, not switching, etc. They were there to play a game, but it really was a determined, focused effort all the way through.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Hey BoxsterCy,

I have a suggestion for you since you a the creator of this thread. I have followed pretty much this entire thread since the beginning before I joined the CF. I see the miscellaneous topics and discussions related to ISU got mixed up with other non-ISU related stuff. Do you think it's necessary to create a separate ISU-focused miscellaneous thread and keep this thread focused on non-ISU related topics and discussions? Thank you for your consideration.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am wondering if our game with Kansas at Hilton is even rescheduled since we are out of the race now. Kansas also has games at home with both Baylor and WVU to fit in that may actually factor into the race. Not sure it's practical to try and schedule Kansas all three in less than a week. I don't think "screw Kansas" make em play three games in five days or something is the answer. We are all in this together. Seems by this time next week they will need to figure this out.

Games to fit in for Top 5.

Baylor @KU, KSU
WVU @ KU, @KSU
OSU no makeups
Texas @ OU, already fit in their makeup with KU
ISU KU

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Some details on the WNIT were released yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but we are trending toward being on the outside looking in with the NCAA Tournament.

Of note:
  • 32 teams split into four sites of eight teams each (played March 18-24)
  • Consolation bracket gives each team a minimum of two games
  • Teams placed geographically to limit travel
  • No .500 record required
  • Four regional champs advance to a single-site "final four"
I think this all makes a lot of sense. I can see a lot of teams opting out, but it's also a chance for a team with a significantly shortened season to get a couple games back. For a team like ISU (if we don't make the NCAA tournament) it's a nice opportunity for a freshman-heavy team to get tournament experience.

• Informative

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some details on the WNIT were released yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but we are trending toward being on the outside looking in with the NCAA Tournament.

Of note:
  • 32 teams split into four sites of eight teams each (played March 18-24)
  • Consolation bracket gives each team a minimum of two games
  • Teams placed geographically to limit travel
  • No .500 record required
  • Four regional champs advance to a single-site "final four"
I think this all makes a lot of sense. I can see a lot of teams opting out, but it's also a chance for a team with a significantly shortened season to get a couple games back. For a team like ISU (if we don't make the NCAA tournament) it's a nice opportunity for a freshman-heavy team to get tournament experience.

Agree, it will be interesting to see how many teams opt in to play for those extra couple games or if it is even worth it. I could see a school like Minnesota, disrupted by Covid off and on since Fall and currently with an injury depleted lineup just saying enough is enough and calling the season over.

If we just go 2-2 over the last four games (assuming no reschedule of Kansas) we are 10-7 in conference and will still be at around a 30 NET score which should still give us an 8 seed. We are #30 today and Texas is #29. The overall field in this messed up year is pretty weak IMHO. I don't think the Big 12 tournament will matter at all this year. No one outside of the top five has any chance at winning it and stealing a March invite. All of the old measures like minimum 16 wins with a tough schedule etc are pretty much thrown out the window.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Collier outscored OSU by herself in the first half (20-17).

Mack only played 11 minutes, but isn't in foul trouble. Not sure what the story is there.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Collier outscored OSU by herself in the first half (20-17).

Mack only played 11 minutes, but isn't in foul trouble. Not sure what the story is there.
Horns took her "out" with an elbow to her eye...(and I think Mack got charged with the foul) It was a 3 point game before she had to leave. She isn't even on the bench after halftime.

Edit: She's now back with a "Georges" band-aid.

Last edited:
  • Informative

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Baylor beats Tech by 32.

WV beat KU but only by 8.

KSU still winless losing to TCU by 11.

Texas gets revenge on OSU. 19-4 Texas in 2nd quarter but obviously that must of happened with Mack out. Collier with 28 pts 19 rebs.