Best Dorm?

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm back again! My oldest got a late acceptance to University of Michigan (aerospace major) so he jumped at that opportunity. I'm paying almost double for that choice!

Two years later, my youngest son accepted his offer to ISU! Going into Kinesiology (Athletic Training or Pre Physical Therapy).

Looking back over this thread I've seen a lot of good responses about Oak/Elm, Old RCA, and MWL. East side makes a lot more sense for kid #2 based on his intended major. I was wondering if any of these have had any recent (last couple years) improvements?

I partied in Larch a lot PRIOR to attending ISU so it doesn't sound like it changed a lot. However, it also sounds like some of MWL had room improvements? Was Larch one of them or did they just figure, "it will all be covered in puke anyway, leave it alone"?

My kid is leaning toward MWL (newer, AC). But it sounds like Oak/Elm and RCA could be nice. I need him to understand that he has to rank his options and may not get any of his first few choices.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm back again! My oldest got a late acceptance to University of Michigan (aerospace major) so he jumped at that opportunity. I'm paying almost double for that choice!

Two years later, my youngest son accepted his offer to ISU! Going into Kinesiology (Athletic Training or Pre Physical Therapy).

Looking back over this thread I've seen a lot of good responses about Oak/Elm, Old RCA, and MWL. East side makes a lot more sense for kid #2 based on his intended major. I was wondering if any of these have had any recent (last couple years) improvements?

I partied in Larch a lot PRIOR to attending ISU so it doesn't sound like it changed a lot. However, it also sounds like some of MWL had room improvements? Was Larch one of them or did they just figure, "it will all be covered in puke anyway, leave it alone"?

My kid is leaning toward MWL (newer, AC). But it sounds like Oak/Elm and RCA could be nice. I need him to understand that he has to rank his options and may not get any of his first few choices.
Our older daughter lived in MWL three years ago and liked it. I liked it because there was a good cafeteria in the building and a CyRide stop right outside of it. Our younger daughter just put in her housing requests and is more interested in suite style so Buchanan is the top pick, but after that we put Geoffrey and MWL, sticking to S and E side of campus.

• Useful
Reactions: ISUinOR

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Oak/elm was closed and then became apartment type maybe. (It was all female). BWR is now co-Ed so that wouldn’t be bad. No air and the cheapest of all. Rumor is Linden may be coming out of mothballs (or going in to mothballs). A lot of changes.

Buchanan and Geoffrey are the newest.

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
Willow was great for me in 06…. Damn I feel old. Bus out front to get around campus and I hear the new dining hall is great. I liked how there were plenty of people to hang out with. Had some party friends and had some introverts. I think location is most important for new students… although freshman year I felt like I had classes all over campus lol.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Oak/elm was closed and then became apartment type maybe. (It was all female). BWR is now co-Ed so that wouldn’t be bad. No air and the cheapest of all. Rumor is Linden may be coming out of mothballs (or going in to mothballs). A lot of changes.

Buchanan and Geoffrey are the newest.

I thought Eaton and the one by it were the newest on campus, unless your considering renovations as being new.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Geoffrey is the newest, Eaton May be newer than Buchanan though.

Yeah, I thought Buchanan was older than Eaton, but your right about Geoffrey. I haven’t been back in a while and wasn’t aware they built that one by Buchanan. I knew it was in the master plans.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Buchanan itself is older because it used to be grad student housing.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
BWR,.....surrounded by women-only dorms.

Not like being at Iowa State at all. Top floor of Birch(Lange), all the rooms were different sizes and shapes.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
MWL. Always and forever. Never ever a dull moment in there.

See I thought riding elevators everyday wouldn't be fun and lose the community feel. Maybe not who knows. I dated girls in MWL and whatever that first suite building in UDA, Eaton maybe, and they felt like ghost towns.

Walk around the floors of Friley or Helser, there is always something going on.

Reactions: cytor and arobb

Help Support Us

Become a patron