Coaching Search: Place your bets

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Want: Chris Beard (Wait, he's not available? That wasn't part of the question!)

Think: Not a big name - someone with a high ceiling, but possibly a low floor as well

Don't want: Hoiberg or TJ. No thanks.....I'd prefer someone with some intensity, who not only tells us what he wants, but actually gets it.

Reactions: aauummm

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've been told from a source that are friends with the Sukups that we were trying to get rid of prohm last season, but somehow he talked his way into staying. Also said the top 4 candidates we are looking at are Dana Altman, Hoiberg, Thad Matta, and TJ in that order. Just passing on what I've heard.
I wish Craig Smith were in TJ's spot but good lord that's a nice list.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Want:
1. Motta: Doubt he'll come, but he was one of the best other than two years at OSU. He'd bring a big name, Midwest and Ohio Valley recruiting and solid X's and O's.
2. Bielein: Pretty much the same, but also has NBA ties, and I actually like that he'd only be here for a decade or so.
3. Fred: While it'll be tougher for him to do what he did the first time around, he still has the same NBA ties, name value and X's & O's knowledge. I think he'd create enough buzz to keep our good/high potential players/recruits, and I think his top recruits would follow him here, such that I think we'd actually have a potentially good to very good roster next year (Hunter, Bolton, McGowens, McGowens & Foster). I would want him to bring in a defensive-minded assistant to play bad cop.
4. Mid-major defensive-mindset / culture guy: Smith/Moser/DeVries

Think:
1. TJ
2. Fred

Not Want:
1. A "search" that is solely focused on TJ and then we hire TJ. Notably, I'd be OK with TJ if we did a thorough search and he was the best candidate.

NOTE: I'm not a Hoiboy or whatever they are called, but I am very surprised how many folks don't want him. I get the disappointment over his unfortunate departure, and I think it'll much more difficult to win the transfer battle this time around, but he did have great success while at ISU and is bringing in very high level recruits to a place which is an even harder sale than ISU.

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017
Want: Craig Smith, Niko Medved
Think: Smith or TJ
Don't Want: TJ, I would be generally fine with TJ, just seems like generally the same issue people have with Prohm, good recruiter maybe a questionable coach...Daum carried those SDSU teams and his UNLV teams haven't been great...I dont necessarily think he's a bad coach just certainly don't think he's proven to be good in that specific aspect.

I've also seen a few Dana Altman references...is there something I don't know? Unless that's just a wish list, I can't imagine him having any interest in leaving Oregon for ISU. ISU is a solid job, but I think some people here overrate its national appeal just because of how much we love it/community/fan base. In some regards its a tough job right now given the fact that the conference is stacked with GREAT coaches. Everyone outside of Boynton has at least one Elite8 appearance

Reactions: clone2003

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Moton might be an option, but he has spent all of his time at one school.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Want: Chris Beard (Wait, he's not available? That wasn't part of the question!)

Think: Not a big name - someone with a high ceiling, but possibly a low floor as well

Don't want: Hoiberg or TJ. No thanks.....I'd prefer someone with some intensity, who not only tells us what he wants, but actually gets it.
Don’t disagree but did you see Fred try to break the clipboard last night?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For those of you saying you don't "want" Fred .... uhhhh, why? You don't enjoy prolonged success? There's no chance it happens but JFC. Steve Kerr could come here and people would say "well yeah good coach, but his players shoot from far away."

want: devries and obviously Fred

Think: no opinion / TJ due to the buddy factor some of you have mentioned.

Don't want: Jamie Pollard leading this search.

The reason that I do not want Fred is that I don't see him doing it again. He was ahead of his time with the transfers and style of play. I think that has now been done by several teams and I just don't see him ruling the transfer market now. So without that blueprint, can he succeed again?

Also, look at the trend of college basketball. There has been a renewed emphasis on tough defense. Fred's teams played none.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Want: Craig Smith, Niko Medved
Think: Smith or TJ
Don't Want: TJ, I would be generally fine with TJ, just seems like generally the same issue people have with Prohm, good recruiter maybe a questionable coach...Daum carried those SDSU teams and his UNLV teams haven't been great...I dont necessarily think he's a bad coach just certainly don't think he's proven to be good in that specific aspect.

I've also seen a few Dana Altman references...is there something I don't know? Unless that's just a wish list, I can't imagine him having any interest in leaving Oregon for ISU. ISU is a solid job, but I think some people here overrate its national appeal just because of how much we love it/community/fan base. In some regards its a tough job right now given the fact that the conference is stacked with GREAT coaches. Everyone outside of Boynton has at least one Elite8 appearance

Wasn’t Altman interested in the ISU job one of the last 2 times it was open? If he does want to move back to the Midwest - maybe he will be back at Creigjton ?

• Disagree
Reactions: dahliaclone

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
The reason that I do not want Fred is that I don't see him doing it again. He was ahead of his time with the transfers and style of play. I think that has now been done by several teams and I just don't see him ruling the transfer market now. So without that blueprint, can he succeed again?

Also, look at the trend of college basketball. There has been a renewed emphasis on tough defense. Fred's teams played none.
Fair points all around. Our difference is that I think he'd do it again, and with ease.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In January he may not have done much but it would be shocking now if he leaves it be.

Completely agree. It's no longer about whether or not Pollard thinks Prohm can turn this around. It's about ticket sales. Prohm may have a plan and maybe he has the coaching chops to do it. But you can't take that hit financially to have Hilton half full while he figures it out.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What candidate can retain the talent we do have while bringing in a few good players, that also can overhaul our culture?

I think Fred with a good staff could win with Bolton, Harris, Hunter, Dunn, Foster, Conditt, Johnson, Walker, McGowens. And we’d have a chance at Lipsey

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
I've been told from a source that are friends with the Sukups that we were trying to get rid of prohm last season, but somehow he talked his way into staying. Also said the top 4 candidates we are looking at are Dana Altman, Hoiberg, Thad Matta, and TJ in that order. Just passing on what I've heard.
OK, this is tangential, but Who TF would ever find Steve Prohm, "nice guy" or no, persuasive in any matter of consequence? His greatest skill is the ability so say Nothing.

• Dumb
Reactions: isutrevman

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Fair points all around. Our difference is that I think he'd do it again, and with ease.

So if he can do it again here, wouldn't he be able to do it at Nebraska as well? At this point, what do we have to offer to get him to come back?

mjdivine

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2006

To that point, kenpom rates Nebraska as the 35th most efficient defense, even after getting pounded by Iowa last night. Maybe it's just a BS statistic, maybe it means he's learned something. Just one data point.
1614975590970.png

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
OK, this is tangential, but Who TF would ever find Steve Prohm, "nice guy" or no, persuasive in any matter of consequence? His greatest skill is the ability so say Nothing.
The same guy that hired him?

Last off season had so much uncertainty.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What candidate can retain the talent we do have while bringing in a few good players, that also can overhaul our culture?

I think Fred with a good staff could win with Bolton, Harris, Hunter, Dunn, Foster, Conditt, Johnson, Walker, McGowns,

Win as in a game or two? I could see Fred getting up to a 6-12 conference record with that team.