Barntown is really really good

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Wife and I made an impromptu stop to Barntown on Saturday. Had two great burgers, and I enjoyed wonderful beer. The sticky juice is best beer I’ve ever had. Yep, it is. And sounds like I was blessed that it was Actually on tap (probably should be in main rotation!)

Well done Barntown. Ankeny would love to have you.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Barn Town is one of my favorite breweries and restaurants in town. Their brunch menu is fantastic. Their Wednesday night special is amazing -- a pound of chicken tenders and a pound of fries for $9.99. Their beers just keep getting better. Most importantly, I like how they handled Covid protocols. It's one of the few places I've actually gone to in the past year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I like Barntown a lot, but much like Pulpit Rock, I'd like to see them start putting more "real" beer into the line up. Not everything has to be a pastry slushie alcoholic smoothie that doesn't taste anything like beer.

It's not a comment on their craftmanship - which is top notch - I'm just getting really sick of these beers.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I like Barntown a lot, but much like Pulpit Rock, I'd like to see them start putting more "real" beer into the line up. Not everything has to be a pastry slushie alcoholic smoothie that doesn't taste anything like beer.

It's not a comment on their craftmanship - which is top notch - I'm just getting really sick of these beers.

1 - Beer isn't just one flavor.

2 - They have core beers that are more in the traditional styles -- an amber, a golden ale, a wit, etc.

3 - Pastry beers are doing quite well for them if their lines on release day are any indication.

Reactions: Cycho1

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Couldn't agree more. I must've missed the boat on these "dessert" beers, because they mostly just don't do it for me. If I feel like Banana Cream Pie, I'm gonna go find a slice of actual Banana Cream Pie. Not drink the "beer" version of it. Gross.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
1 - Beer isn't just one flavor.

2 - They have core beers that are more in the traditional styles -- an amber, a golden ale, a wit, etc.

3 - Pastry beers are doing quite well for them if their lines on release day are any indication.

I understand why they do it. I would do the same if I was that good at making them and they got that kind of response.

I'm just saying I don't care for them, and feel that a lot of cutting edge breweries aren't putting the time or focus onto styles that interest me more. Barntown's amber, golden ale, and wit aren't the kind of beers that interest me. High quality lagers, foeder sours, things like that. I realize that slushee foofoo beers move the needle these days and that you're going to see a lot of them. Just lamenting the trend, I guess.

Reactions: jdolson

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I must've missed the boat on these "dessert" beers, because they mostly just don't do it for me. If I feel like Banana Cream Pie, I'm gonna go find a slice of actual Banana Cream Pie. Not drink the "beer" version of it. Gross.

I just don't go to beer for such heavy, sugary, flavor profiles.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I just don't go to beer for such heavy, sugary, flavor profiles.

Yeah, this is me as well. I love beer, I look for that crisp bitterness (not necessarily over hoppy either) that you get from a clean lager or even a nice pale ale. I only drink coffee, water or beer, so these dessert styles go more to the soda pop range for me and I just dont care to drink sweet drinks.

I'm not against it, hell, it's their business and you make what sells. I guess it's boring to most out there, but I wish more focused on some solid lagers.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, this is me as well. I love beer, I look for that crisp bitterness (not necessarily over hoppy either) that you get from a clean lager or even a nice pale ale. I only drink coffee, water or beer, so these dessert styles go more to the soda pop range for me and I just dont care to drink sweet drinks.

I'm not against it, hell, it's their business and you make what sells. I guess it's boring to most out there, but I wish more focused on some solid lagers.

Yup. I love IPAs (which they do really well) and high quality, crisp lagers (especially pilsners).

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
FWIW, @Al_4_State, the pastry beers aren't my faves either. There are a lot of beer trends out there I can't get into, but thankfully the craft beer world is becoming more diverse and it feels like there's something for about everyone.

Personally, I prefer ambers, reds, and browns (despite some people thinking there's no such thing as a good brown ale). I like IPAs and crisp lagers/pilsners in the summer, and a good stout or porter in the winter. I've just started developing a palate for the sours and have determined I like the ones that have an actual flavor and aren't just sour to be sour.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude