Women's March Madness: Cyclones vs Texas A&M 6 p.m. ESPN2

collegehoops

Apr 8, 2016
Sadly, CBF takes the collar in late game situations. Without question, you get the ball into the hands of your best offensive weapons, but in the mean time, you MUST keep the opponents' other four defenders honest with player movement (i.e. screening of any sort, basket cuts, etc.) The whole country knew what TAM would do - because they knew what CBF would do - and that was to absolutely ignore the other four players and guard the ballhandler. Referees calls (or lack thereof) and turnovers were obviously big tonight. What cost us was Bill's inability to make the TAM defense work. Don't blame the kids. It is on the head coach plain and simple. His inability to teach late game situations and continue to run offense that has multiple scoring options separates him from the great ones. Sad to see us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on all too many occasions. Excellent effort tonight gals. You were the better team and deserved to win.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
That was not a jump ball. It should have been a foul. Game over. What a fun team to watch. The effort and determination is always excellent. I hate to see the three seniors leave, they have been outstanding Cyclones. The future is very bright. We need to develop some replacements for Kristen and Maddie before next year. Both were pretty significant to our success in their own way.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and NWICY

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
Letting the shot clock run out without getting a shot off in one of our last possessions in regulation says hello.

That and having the ball out of bounds with a second or so on the shot clock and taking a dribble first. I believe that happened twice

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Sadly, CBF takes the collar in late game situations. Without question, you get the ball into the hands of your best offensive weapons, but in the mean time, you MUST keep the opponents' other four defenders honest with player movement (i.e. screening of any sort, basket cuts, etc.) The whole country knew what TAM would do - because they knew what CBF would do - and that was to absolutely ignore the other four players and guard the ballhandler. Referees calls (or lack thereof) and turnovers were obviously big tonight. What cost us was Bill's inability to make the TAM defense work. Don't blame the kids. It is on the head coach plain and simple. His inability to teach late game situations and continue to run offense that has multiple scoring options separates him from the great ones. Sad to see us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on all too many occasions. Excellent effort tonight gals. You were the better team and deserved to win.
#FIRE CBF AND HIRE MESSAGE BOARD POSTER EXPERT COLLEGEHOOPS

#WINNING PLAIN AND SIMPLE

:jimlad:

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
This team was really fun to watch this year! Tough loss but hope they can learn from it and keep the fire burning in the offseason. This freshman class is going to be fun to watch develop. Shout out to Kane who played well today. She was owning the boards!
Yes, great rebounding!

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
That and having the ball out of bounds with a second or so on the shot clock and taking a dribble first. I believe that happened twice
Yes, and each time Bill took the player out and "carefully" explained the mistake to the player. Any that think Bill didn't tell the team the situation needs to move to another forum.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013

Very good point EXCEPT one thing. Putting the ball in the hands of someone that is simply better than the defense, causing the defense to either unwillingly allow her to score or HAVE to foul to stop her is a tactic that coaches are praised for over and over again. they call these kids closers and coaches use them all the time. That is why they are "winners" in some people's books.

When the officials swallow their whistles for any reason when a foul is committed because one team cannot stop another team's efforts without gaining an unfair advantage, then the the problem lies with the officiating, not the call to put the ball in the hands of the person who should have been granted the free throw line. If officials should not be counted on to even the game by reducing unfair advantage throughout the entire game, even in the waning seconds, they should not be out there anytime during the game.

Would you have called into question TAMs coach for putting the ball into Nixon's hands at the end of that game? No, why? Because she made the shot.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
That was not a jump ball. It should have been a foul. Game over. What a fun team to watch. The effort and determination is always excellent. I hate to see the three seniors leave, they have been outstanding Cyclones. The future is very bright. We need to develop some replacements for Kristen and Maddie before next year. Both were pretty significant to our success in their own way.
That was my take neither players actually touched the ball to make it a jump ball. We were screaming for a timeout from the bench, not granted so if anything it was a 5 second call but it was a foul on Texas.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not talked about enough is the phantom foul on the fast break in which the A&M girl went air born and out of control and hurt herself. Got two free throws with 2-3 minutes in regulation.

While she went flying and looked uncomfortable in pain, she literally wasn’t touched by an Iowa State player. She did that all on her own and was rewarded with free throws

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
As much as I would’ve wanted that as a fan, gifting Tammy 2 free throws and possession could’ve been killer in a tight game like that.

Ya you're right. Maybe if it was in the first half. It was hard to watch.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Not talked about enough is the phantom foul on the fast break in which the A&M girl went air born and out of control and hurt herself. Got two free throws with 2-3 minutes in regulation.

While she went flying and looked uncomfortable in pain, she literally wasn’t touched by an Iowa State player. She did that all on her own and was rewarded with free throws

In regulation we are up at least 4 Texas has two three shots and missed one of our guards is going for the ball she gets shoved as she touches the ball and it goes out of bounds. Texas hits a three on the inbounds-

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
My couple takes, for what it's worth (which isn't much!)

1) With under 5 seconds left, I knew the refs would not call a foul unless it was completely obvious. Watching the reply, the ref on the sideline is blocked and cannot see the play. The ref on the baseline was a clear, up close vantage point, but doesn't move a single muscle during the play. While it was clearly a foul (actually a couple fouls), the ref wanted to let the players decide the outcome. Right or wrong (more wrong than right) it's more common to see this happen in a lot of games

2) Too much dribbling at times which lead to turnovers. If there is 1 second left on the shot or game clock you cannot dribble the ball. Happened twice that I saw. There were also many instances of trying to dribble through traffic.

3) Joens' dad is quite competitive. It's great to see a parent involved/passionate about their kid's sports/activities. But he crossed the line IMHO. I probably wouldn't have minded his outbursts as much if he wasn't sitting right next to 3 of his other kids. It's not a great example to show your kids how to handle yourself

4) The girls gave it all. They are a fun team to watch and should be really good next year.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I did a technical analysis of ISU shooting and turnovers of the game. I hope you guys find it useful.

The following is the ISU vs TAMU shot chart (from ESPN). ISU's on the left.

Shot Chart.png

ISU Shooting Stats Analysis:

Overall FG 26-64, 2PT FG 10-34, 3PT FG 16-30.

As you can see from the shot chart, ISU took most shots only in the paint or behind the 3pt line. ISU only took 2 mid-range shots outside the paint (1 for 2, all in the first quarter). They shot 9 of 32 in the paint, which is 28% compared to 60% beyond the 3pt line.

For FG made/attempted in the paint, here's a breakdown quarter by quarter:

1st (0-8), 2nd (3-9), 3rd (2-3), 4th (3-9), OT(1-3)

I've been following CycloneWBB all year long and this is a typical short chart you will see in most of their games. ISU takes the most efficient types of shots used in the NBA which are layups, 3-pointers and free throws, rarely midrange shots.

This kind of shot selection works in most games but when ISU faces opponents with a strong defense or can't get enough foul calls from the refs in a game, they will get into trouble like this game. Give them full credit that they shot the 3 balls extremely well but they finished in the paint very poorly and didn't get enough fouls calls. In the final 4 minutes of the 2nd quarter, ISU was in bonus so they kept driving to the paint expecting to get foul calls but they didn't get any, which resulted in 4 turnovers and 0 points. The same thing happened in the final minutes of the 4th quarter and the overtime, fewer whistles, more turnovers.

There's a word in basketball strategy called "optionality". When facing tough situations when your opponent has taken away all of your best options, it'd be helpful if a team has more offensive options, such as taking uncontested midrange pull-up jumpers or moving the ball to an open area for an uncontested shot. I'm not saying ISU should completely abandon their current shot selection system. I hope the team can add more offensive wrinkles next season. The bottom line is: the best shot is an open/uncontested shot.

Turnover Breakdown:

In this game, ISU has committed a season-high 24 turnovers. I have rewatched and charted every single of them. A lot of them were unforced and the players' fundamental mistakes. Because of it, TAMU had 19 more FG attempts and scored 15 more points than ISU off turnovers.

Travel (6), Bad Pass (6), Lost Ball while Dribbling (4), Shot Clock Violation (3), Offensive Foul (3), Jumpball (2)

Of all the 24 turnovers, one was obviously the officiating error (Lexi jump ball call with 10 sec left in the regulation), the other 2 bad pass turnovers might be caused by the TAMU's physical plays. The rest were just our players' own mistakes. If we could reduce the number of those unforced turnovers in half, we should've had a comfortable lead near the end of the regulation and the refs wouldn't have had any chance to show their ugly rears to bait out TAMU. Our young team averages the least turnovers per game among all Big12 teams in the regular season. It's kind of surprising they committed so many "unforced" errors in the game. I hope they can learn the lesson and improve their fundamental skills in the offseason.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My couple takes, for what it's worth (which isn't much!)

1) With under 5 seconds left, I knew the refs would not call a foul unless it was completely obvious. Watching the reply, the ref on the sideline is blocked and cannot see the play. The ref on the baseline was a clear, up close vantage point, but doesn't move a single muscle during the play. While it was clearly a foul (actually a couple fouls), the ref wanted to let the players decide the outcome. Right or wrong (more wrong than right) it's more common to see this happen in a lot of games

2) Too much dribbling at times which lead to turnovers. If there is 1 second left on the shot or game clock you cannot dribble the ball. Happened twice that I saw. There were also many instances of trying to dribble through traffic.

3) Joens' dad is quite competitive. It's great to see a parent involved/passionate about their kid's sports/activities. But he crossed the line IMHO. I probably wouldn't have minded his outbursts as much if he wasn't sitting right next to 3 of his other kids. It's not a great example to show your kids how to handle yourself

4) The girls gave it all. They are a fun team to watch and should be really good next year.

Sitting anywhere within earshot of him at a game is an experience. I was a few rows from him once with my kids and about had to get up and leave.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hate to see the game come down to officiating like it did. Both teams played hard down the stretch and if I have to play devil's advocate then ISU's biggest problem was turning the ball over more than 20 times. Usually when you turn the ball over that much you don't win games yet they played well enough to have a shot to anyways. Was a great season and I actually watched more of the women's games than I did the men's because of how they played the game.

The future is bright, the underclassmen are very talented and under BF are just going to get better. The hope I have for next season is they can find some post players to step in and give them more of an inside presence as Joens is so much better when she can create off the dribble or spot up for a shot than have to work her tail off in the post and get pushed around by bigger players. I know we have a couple posts in this incoming class but finding one in the transfer portal with some experience sure would help too. When you look at some of the best teams in school history they had at least 1 solid post player which allowed the wings and guards to get good looks from 3 and could only imagine how much more potent our offense could be if we had a post player that commanded more attention on defense to open up those looks on the perimeter more.

Reactions: Snydes and geewago